Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anybody try to sell a detector lately?sad smiley

Posted by coinspader 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anybody try to sell a detector lately?sad smiley
October 18, 2019 11:46PM
I am striking out every time I have listed anything, I can't even get a decent price on #@%&. I checked my watch list there and most of the machines are going for around 250 bucks. I don't know how the dealers are faring but this is ridiculous. confused smiley
Re: Anybody try to sell a detector lately?sad smiley
October 19, 2019 12:00AM
The Equinox did what was claimed. It made all other detectors obsolete.
October 19, 2019 12:05AM
Depends upon what your selling and what's currently available at a similar price or a bit higher that equals or exceeds the performance of the one you have for sale.

Right now people are excited about the Simplex, so they probably won't be interested in anything else. The Vanquish is in their sights as well. And the Nox appear to be hot sellers that also currently demand a lot of interest.

So yeah these new fangled bells and whistle machines is deflating the prices used machines normally sold for.

And then some folks are asking way above the usual selling price for some machines and clearly not worth that much, since they normally sold for half the amount. Funny thing some people will pay it.

Also Piratebay is getting flooded with China crap detectors at inflated prices.

Many folks don't list there anymore or rarely, so the variety of good quality used detectors are no longer seen, now there's a lot of abused junker posted at ridiculous prices, so when a really nice cared for one appears bids go way above the norm.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
October 19, 2019 12:34AM
I think that some of it has to do with the time of year, new detectors coming out, the economy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2019 08:46AM by SkiWhiz.
October 19, 2019 01:08PM
Can you say Equinox? That is what the problem is....look at what is coming to the market and notice the price range.
October 19, 2019 01:59PM
SkiWhiz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think that some of it has to do with the time of
> year, new detectors coming out, the economy.

Bingo!
October 19, 2019 02:24PM
coinspader Wrote:
> I am striking out every time I have listed anythin
> g, I can't even get a decent price on #@%&. I chec
> ked my watch list there and most of the machines a
> re going for around 250 bucks. I don't know how th
> e dealers are faring but this is ridiculous. confused smiley

But on the other hand, if you're a fan of the older models: Now is the time to get great deals. Doh !

I remember a time, just a few years ago, when you could hardly find a used sunray x1 probe that didn't sell for a fortune . Now you can find them, with a complete explorer, for decent deals. Doh !
October 19, 2019 02:58PM
Yep true dat' on good deals on older machines. But certain rare coils like the Bigfoots and Sunray FZ12s still bring top dollar.
October 19, 2019 11:00PM
Nobody likes admitting it, but we were over paying on detectors for years. Compared to the bang for buck of recent releases it is pretty easy to see. If you held on to older models because you have a personal liking no big deal. Enjoy them. Hey I have a Sovereign GT with a Patrick meter mod. The kids can trash it or EBay it when I'm gone. But if you have a closet full of detectors that you were thinking of selling some day then in my opinion you missed the train. It is only going to get worse. The Vanquish. Nokta and their multi frequency detector. All waterproof. All quick and deep. All with warranties. Who started it? In my opinion Garrett with the AT series. Other companies like Minelab and Nokta ran with it. Capitalism kills the weak.
Capitalism kills the weak.
October 20, 2019 11:09AM
It sure does...competition........except when the govt steps in and bails out the chosen ones. How do they become chosen? Well, it seems like they are giving us a peek into the top layer of the swamp slime. My guess is that we'll only get to see what they want us to see and nothing will become of it. Someone will go down but it won't be any of the top contenders.

There are many fellas who won't sell their detectors, or anything else online....too much trouble. They'd rather them collect dust in the closet until they kick the bucket. Or... they're paranoid that the buyers / lookers would be checking out their house for future pickings. I have sold various items in the past....some shady people show up...some show up with a car load of their boys...yea, that will get you to thinking and wondering why you are inviting this....I guess it's a unfavorable chance we take.
October 20, 2019 01:21PM
Ozzie, that is why I never list on Craigslist or locally. Some who do though meet them in a public place or in front of the Police station which is a good idea when you think about it.
October 20, 2019 03:42PM
What I dont get are the people who think their 30, 40, 50 years wall-hangers are worth hundreds of dollars. They call them "rare" and think that age = value.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

======================================================
October 20, 2019 09:16PM
the way I see it Nokta-Makro started this ball rolling with their
very competitive range of products at reasonable prices -

the true effect of how well they have done in bringing prices down
will be easy to see a few months down the track once their SimplEX is
readily available -

One thing is for sure - Turkey it appears, do not have to run off anywhere
to get their products manufactured in order to keep the costs down -

They have proven you can get performance for less and it seems to
be the case every-time they roll out a new unit -

Of course it also helps if one of your competitors follows suit in providing
more for less as Minelab have with their brilliant Equinox Series, whereas
other manufacturers are simply wilting away -

[www.earthscan.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2019 09:06AM by rustic charm.
October 20, 2019 09:43PM
eBay and PayPal slowed a lot of detector selling down when they made the selling fees go higher for them. Most people were barely breaking even when they sold their used machines on there, and now, by the time they take their slices of the pie out, it is very hard to break even. The last two I sold on there came at a loss, and thus why I wont list my machines on there any more.

Forums are hit or miss. A forum with a lot of traffic can still be very good.

Another thing not mentioned, is that this hobby has a big turn over rate. All...as in every one...of the local guys I used to hunt with, have gotten into other hobbies and don't even own a detector any more. I'm the last man standing. There will always be new comers that dabble into it here and there but most fade off into other things. Even me myself, tends to cycle through other hobbies that get my priority. I seldom go without a detector, although when I get into fishing or hunting or have a heavy work schedule like this year, the detector doesn't get much use.
October 21, 2019 01:24AM
I guess the silver lining is I will be able to buy a lot of the detectors I like cheap! thumbs down I just won't plan on making any money on them, just hang onto them much to my wife's chagrin. cool smiley I'm gonna have to build an addition.
October 21, 2019 10:07AM
I have 31 now and used many hundreds over the years.If your not selling a Deus,AT Pro or Maxx or Equinox your out of luck. The new Simplex has something to do with this. I can still sell my detectors locally thru various market places.
October 21, 2019 05:20PM
I think the market has been sagging for several years and no one thing is to blame. Rising shipping costs have eroded profits to add insult to the injury. Simplex+ may well do more to make obsolete than the 'Nox has. Random thoughts...

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
October 21, 2019 10:37PM
Ebay Charges Sales Tax now ...so no more buying cheap detectors ...it was nice while it lasted
October 22, 2019 01:36PM
I'm sometimes known to be a sucker for a good detector picture in a classifieds add...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The slowdown happened way before Nokta/Makro entered the picture. While 2008 started the downtrend I really saw it start sagging in 2012. Since then the seasonal natural disaster events have continued to drag it down in my opinion. The manufactures and dealers are always happy when the new market tanks as prior to 2008 they were all bellyaching about how hot the used market was and how slow new sales were.

HH
Mike
October 23, 2019 10:05AM
Rob in (ca) Wrote:
> Ebay Charges Sales Tax now ...so no more buying ch
> eap detectors ...it was nice while it lasted

Just come to think about it.
In Canada we also get charged a Gov't so to speak Service Sales tax on our monthly ebay invoice for the service ebay provides.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
October 23, 2019 11:45AM
Ive sold 2 machines this year a CTX and a modified blue Xcal. I used the good ole Craigs List.... meet um at the beach test the machine and got thru it with them. Answered their questions and ..... cash and carry at that point. I didnt get what i wanted..... but a fair price with sales the way they are. Thats the ups and downs of any market. Pricy older machines ...... its like selling your unique home.
October 23, 2019 09:48PM
My opinion.....do not let pride get in the way. Money in the pocket is better than a detector in the closet.
October 23, 2019 11:24PM
goodmore Wrote:
> My opinion.....do not let pride get in the way. Money in the pocket is better than a detector in the closet.

Probably a good way to look at it, it's just hard to part with my F75 LTD2 that I sunk around $1500 into when Fisher's flagship F75 detector can now be had for $300-400 drinking smiley
October 24, 2019 02:01AM
Ouch! I have an F75 SE and it is still an awesome detector in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2019 02:24AM by coinspader.
October 24, 2019 04:37PM
Look at it this way:
Price paid minus real value of finds on the open market + sale price = what you are out.
Yep, I bet everyone of you guys is in the black with that formula and that's not even valuing the Fun you had and the knowledge you gained.

fwiw, I sold my Safari + used black Garret PP + small coil for 500 a couple of months ago and had another guy pissed he didn't get it.
October 24, 2019 05:02PM
I am personally not overly concerned with the so called low price one can get for a used detector. I'm on my 3rd F 75, a LTD2, and as I recall I paid $1099.00 for it, less whatever I got for the F75 LTD I traded towards it. It continues to be my main detector and it has given me literally hundreds of hours of hunting pleasure and as a old coin hunter it continues to get the job done nicely for me. And, I can swing it all day, which, is important for someone approaching the 80 years mark. HH jim tn
October 27, 2019 10:22PM
IDXMonster Wrote:
> SkiWhiz Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think that some of it has to do with the time
> of
> > year, new detectors coming out, the economy.
>
>
> Bingo!

The 'economy' ???? It's the best that it has been for decades. Cheaper and better detectors along with lots of competition is killing the resale market. I always believed that metal detectors were way over priced to begin with. Now you're getting more for your dollar. Another thing that might be killing sales is the fact that good detecting sites are drying up.

tabman

tabman
October 27, 2019 10:35PM
tabman Wrote:
> IDXMonster Wrote:
> -----
> > SkiWhiz Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > I think that some of it has to do with the tim
> e
> > of
> > > year, new detectors coming out, the economy.
> >
> >
> > Bingo!
>
> The 'economy' ???? It's the best that it has been
> for decades. Cheaper and better detectors along wi
> th lots of competition is killing the resale marke
> t. I always believed that metal detectors were way
> over priced to begin with. Now you're getting more
> for your dollar. Another thing that might be killi
> ng sales is the fact that good detecting sites are
> drying up.
>
> tabman
>
> tabman

+1
October 28, 2019 12:53AM
TexHunter Wrote:
> tabman Wrote:
> -----
> > IDXMonster Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > SkiWhiz Wrote:
> > > ----------------------------------------------
> --
> > --
> > > -----
> > > > I think that some of it has to do with the t
> im
> > e
> > > of
> > > > year, new detectors coming out, the economy.
> > >
> > >
> > > Bingo!
> >
> > The 'economy' ???? It's the best that it has bee
> n
> > for decades. Cheaper and better detectors along
> wi
> > th lots of competition is killing the resale mar
> ke
> > t. I always believed that metal detectors were w
> ay
> > over priced to begin with. Now you're getting mo
> re
> > for your dollar. Another thing that might be kil
> li
> > ng sales is the fact that good detecting sites a
> re
> > drying up.
> >
> > tabman
> >
> > tabman
>
>
> +1

+2
October 28, 2019 01:22AM
silverfiend Wrote:
> What I dont get are the people who think their 30,
> 40, 50 years wall-hangers are worth hundreds of do
> llars. They call them "rare" and think that age =
> value.

To be honest, there are some that are -

How much are Minelab Musketeers fetching these days?

[www.earthscan.co.nz]