Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SS popularity

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
SS popularity
November 09, 2019 01:17PM
I was hunting yesterday with the MDT..... not everyday is a GOOD day. I hit the first chain ..... clearly marked 14K on the hasp..... 21" long...... 22 grams....... it looked good on the stone for color....but wouldnt acid test beyond 10K... it also read 1 on a Nox. First thought maybe it just cheap gold...... but out came the earth magnet..... that was the tell all. The second was the same except there was no clasp or marking. Two of those rings are SS. This plated stuff is getting crazy...... makes you wonder, did the person with that 14K necklace KNOW it was plated SS? There was nothing to indicate it was plated. I believe i read somewhere there now is a jewelry maker using 18K as its maker mark. Im wondering how the rules apply now to marking plated jewelry...... and when does it become fraud? Oh.... how bout that knife collection lol?

Re: SS popularity
November 09, 2019 05:08PM
I think this happens quite a bit...Anyone can buy different jewelry marking stamps from jewelry supply companies and stamp junk jewelry any way they choose. Then sell the item to an unsuspecting buyer. Several years ago my wife bought a silver "Tiffany" bracelet from a jewelry dealer at an antique show. It was marked quite well. Several months later the silver was wearing off and exposing the copper underneath. We did find the dealer at another show and she gladly refunded our money saying she had no idea.. Who knows at what point the deception took place. Another guy I know bought a small gold bar on the streets of Las Vegas. (Not a good idea!) It too was stamped with multiple gold stampings, serial numbers, etc. I knew immediately when I saw it that it was brass. But he insisted I do an acid test on it. When the area turned green and was smoking he then sadly admitted to being duped. Lots of crooks out there.
November 09, 2019 06:13PM
I think we have seen more of it since China could care less about patients..... deception seems to be a way of life. We’ve made that easy. I’ve seen antiques forged or duplicated and they got in country by just putting as sticker saying copy....which gets removed once here. The old saying “more money than brains” seems to apply
cdv
November 09, 2019 10:41PM
Nice set of knives there Dew!
OBN
November 09, 2019 11:11PM
Sorry to see Dew................ many might find this hard to believe but I have a couple handfuls of SS rings from the 40s to late 60's. Infact I just dug another Friday from a beach that closed in the 60's...SS, brass, gold filled, plated, hand laid gold and nickel...........All junk from the past.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
November 10, 2019 01:00AM
The bigger popularity trend I am seeing locally are silicon rings and ring tattoos. I wonder if it will get to the point where a stainless or tungsten jewelry piece is welcomed, just to have jewelry in the scoop.
November 10, 2019 12:13PM
Daniel..... i think even the silicon ones will have metal added. Possibly gold or silver bans. Humans like their metal..... be it watches, necklaces or rings. Until we get ALEXI chips in our brains for easy access to our health and Google somethings going to be lost out there.