Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Finally.... Finally A Sidewalk Tear Out Pays Off

Posted by SilverPeter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Finally.... Finally A Sidewalk Tear Out Pays Off
November 11, 2019 11:48PM

Not sure how many tear out's I have been on since relocating to Oregon. As the title says, this little one pays off with a couple of coins. Interest of note, there was only one 2 foot by 3 foot area that actually gave the oldies. Most of the site contained new-ish trash and newer type glass. As I moved to the upper corner, that nice old black dirt came out along with several square nails and plenty of odd iron bits. Then... the 100+ year old glass came out. Hmmm.... In some old dirt finally. Then maybe 20 minutes later, the 1907 Barber. Dang was I happy! This proved to be a stingy spot as it was another 45 minutes before the 1889 V coin popped up.

The Barber was found with the Bandido II and a small custom coil attached I ordered thru a terrific outfit in Arizona. (No dealers on the west coast would order it on my behalf, with even a dealer in the Bay Area accusing me of being a Russian thief! grinning smiley grinning smiley )

Anyway... The V nickle was located using the GoldMaxx. A beast of a machine in the iron and emi of a downtown city street. Will be watching this site for more movement as I really hoped that more oldies would have been found in front of the early 1900's building. I did find out from a manager of the building that 50K worth of plumbing had been done 10 years ago, hence the mix of old/new soil.

Some-Some of the trash pulled with conductors or to plain clean out.

Re: Finally.... Finally A Sidewalk Tear Out Pays Off
November 11, 2019 11:57PM
good story. Imagine if the entire block had come out !
November 12, 2019 12:26AM

Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> good story. Imagine if the entire block had come
> out !

Hey Tom... You know it was your idea that turned me onto the Bandido II. Great machine for this. (Tom D. also got me on the GoldMaxx... Another beast in iron with a larger foot print)
What is your experience Tom with small tear out's of this size??
December 04, 2019 07:04PM
The V Nickle cleaned up better than I thought. The words "LIBERTY" visible in the head band. This is the sharpest V I have ever found.

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski
December 04, 2019 07:16PM
Nice digs, congrats on the score.

I have a love/hate relationship with sidewalk tear outs. The first one ever did was fabulous. Since then, I'd guess 90% or more are complete duds. I still hunt ever single one I can though. Biggest problem in my area is that the companies doing them, work in "one day" sections. You'll see them ripping concrete all morning, then laying rebar and forms right behind and pouring concrete before they finish for the day.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

======================================================
December 04, 2019 07:40PM

silverfiend

Nice digs, congrats on the score.

I have a love/hate relationship with sidewalk tear outs. The first one ever did was fabulous. Since then, I'd guess 90% or more are complete duds. I still hunt ever single one I can though. Biggest problem in my area is that the companies doing them, work in "one day" sections. You'll see them ripping concrete all morning, then laying rebar and forms right behind and pouring concrete before they finish for the day.
Yeah know what you mean. I will always hit them when open and "pre" prepping for a pour. Lucky this was open for a few days which was nice. But yeah so many are same day events... And if the crews are cool, you can hit during their lunch time. Thanks for the reply-Peter

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski
December 04, 2019 11:19PM
SilverPeter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
(No dealers on the west coast would order it on my behalf, with even a dealer in the Bay Area accusing me of being a Russian thief! grinning smiley grinning smiley )

First, congrats on getting over some pay dirt thumbs down

You mean the dealer that runs his business out of his garage and is never there?