Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Simplex nickel ID number and notches

Posted by wjs 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
wjs
Simplex nickel ID number and notches
November 16, 2019 02:07AM
I see you can use notches to create a park pattern where you want to block out most junk and try to get coins. It seems that nickels hit at around 26 on the TID scale. So to create a notch to catch most nickels that may bounce a bit you would have to accept 21-25 and also 26-30 as the ID is right on the verge of two segments. Ten TID numbers. I kind of wish they would have programmed nickels to hit at around 28 that way I could only have to accept the 26-30 notch and still have a little play for ID's that may bounce a bit. Oh well they didn't ask me my opinion... ;o)
Re: Simplex nickel ID number and notches
November 16, 2019 11:35AM
In over 40 years of metal detecting I never found a nickel that would classify as nice. They discolor in the ground for one. I have dug Buffs, V's, and Shields. Yeah there might be a few key dates, but hey even they would be laughed at condition wise. War nickels? Not worth the bother to me. In fact my best nickel finds were never nickels. Pendants, rings and other stuff I never expected.
November 16, 2019 01:01PM
Notching is predominately a US thing,i guess the main reason is that 'almost' all the US coinage is a standard weight and metal content so its pretty consistent,so it would be easier to be accurate by using the notching facility are on most US made detectors,but here in the UK our coinage which of course can go back a long way the contents of our hammered coinage this can be gold/silver and other metals as well i guess the amount of the base silver/gold content can vary by a fair amount depending on the amount of gold/silver in circulation.

This is why i never and most other detectorist in the UK dont use notching,a classic example would be the great temptation to knock out say silver foil,of course you can do that but at the high probability of also knocking out certainly our silver hammered coins and also gold hammered coins as well.These are of course the highly desirable targets that we are hunting for,its best we find that we use as little discrimination as possibly and certainly never use the 'notch' facility if its on the detector.

Me personally i am for the most part a audio detector user ie use my ear rather than using my eyes to look at the screen that is of course if your detector has one,audio is also far more reliable at great depth than what any screen TID will offer,also the vital threshold level,for real deep targets then if the threshold is set up right that can give you a very basic indication that a target either good or bad is deeper and just does not have the ability to trigger the TID or audio circuit/s but is just able to trigger the last resort threshold and that could be the find of a lifetime.

Notching for me personally is a massive no no,audio and as little amount of discriminate is and always will be king !!
wjs
November 16, 2019 01:11PM
You make some good points Junk and Disorderly. I realize they don't just gear these towards the US detectorist and our targets specifically. They are still a great company and make good products and listen to what we want. Mine should be here today....;o)
November 16, 2019 11:25PM
I wouldn't put it past Dilek to read some of the upcoming USA posts and make some firmware tweaks in the near future..........Single digit notching?? I mean by the time spring gets here the Simplex could be a simultaneously multi frequency beast for all we know! BTW - I'm working in Jeff City so when you get the Simplex let me know? We can hit the park and I can test drive the machine....

wjs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see you can use notches to create a park pattern
> where you want to block out most junk and try to g
> et coins. It seems that nickels hit at around 26 o
> n the TID scale. So to create a notch to catch mos
> t nickels that may bounce a bit you would have to
> accept 21-25 and also 26-30 as the ID is right on
> the verge of two segments. Ten TID numbers. I kind
> of wish they would have programmed nickels to hit
> at around 28 that way I could only have to accept
> the 26-30 notch and still have a little play for I
> D's that may bounce a bit. Oh well they didn't ask
> me my opinion... ;o)

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
November 18, 2019 10:28AM
Im kind of with you Goody on the nickels. I think most who hunt discuss nickels more for where gold might fall than really nickels. I dont know how good the TID is on the machine but a nickel is a coin that can really down size in digits the deeper they are. Even gold...... my testing showed youd dig more gold rings if you dug a pull tab or bottle cap on say the Nox. Ive got a pretty good collection of older dug coins and have to say more of the nickels are toast.
November 18, 2019 02:32PM
Etrac seems to have no issue with tight ID on nickels. smiling smiley For only 25000 nickels more!
wjs
November 18, 2019 02:52PM
Noktka/makro really needs to figure out and produce some multifrequency detectors that is where minelab dominates. If they could figure that part out it would make them that much awesome.
wjs
November 18, 2019 02:55PM
"Etrac seems to have no issue with tight ID on nickels. smiling smiley For only 25000 nickels more!"

Right....Lol For the price the simplex is a great deal.
November 18, 2019 05:32PM
wjs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Noktka/makro really needs to figure out and produce some multifrequency detectors that is where minelab dominates. If they could figure that part out it would make them that much awesome.

It's in the works....patience grasshopper smoking smiley