Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detecting methodology in cinders

Posted by IDXMonster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detecting methodology in cinders
December 02, 2019 02:52AM
Firstly, I did a search on “cinders”. No results found. How can this be? This is such a common problem for coin hunters in fairgrounds, old homes, old schools...but apparently not common enough to have a discussion about, or at least not one I can find. Here’s the deal...
I have a couple of fairgrounds which have a 3-5” layer of cinders covered by a 2” layer of black soil and grass. The cinder layer isn’t compact really, and it seems to be somewhat mixed with said black soil. The issue I’m having is achieving ANY reliable depth/depth reading and VDI’s are very choppy and unstable/unreliable. The reason I want to hunt it is that I found 2 silver dimes today with horrendous readings and 3-4” deep. If this has been an issue in the past with lesser machines, it must mean that there are many more coins in these messes. I have the modified IDXPro, Explorer2, CTX and EQX 800 at my disposal. I have not come up with a method yet that helps to cut through to the 6”+ depth, and even then, nothing is even close to reliable.
Experienced input would be very appreciated...or I go it alone to figure it out. I think the payoff is well worth the effort, and I will have actually learned WHY I have to do what it is that allows me to hunt these conditions.
Thanks!
Re: Detecting methodology in cinders
December 02, 2019 10:45AM
I've had luck with a Explorer se pro and a cz3d in a cinder lot a few years back. My f-75 was not good.

The SE surprised me. I set it in coin mode and thought to myself ''if this makes a hint of a peep, I'm digging. Sure enough, in about 20 feet of detecting and signals you would normally pass on and barly audible, I dug 3 silver dimes. The 3d pulled out a Canadian large cent, 1800's.
December 02, 2019 12:19PM
I guess the cinders are similar to coke here, but that there already burnt?.
The Nox in field 1 seems to ignore it better and see through it to a certain degree, but it picks it up in field 2 and it will mask targets if it's a few inches below it.
Coke is a nightmare on some of my permissions, single freq machines love it. It's no problem if on the surface, but a bit of coke at 4 inch in wet soil can come in anywhere on the scale, it can also sound scratchy like a coin does when it reaches a detectors fringe depth, it soon gets old, it's hateful digging them!
December 02, 2019 12:29PM
ghound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess the cinders are similar to coke here, but
> that there already burnt?.
> The Nox in field 1 seems to ignore it better and s
> ee through it to a certain degree, but it picks it
> up in field 2 and it will mask targets if it's a f
> ew inches below it.
> Coke is a nightmare on some of my permissions, sin
> gle freq machines love it. It's no problem if on
> the surface, but a bit of coke at 4 inch in wet so
> il can come in anywhere on the scale, it can also
> sound scratchy like a coin does when it reaches a
> detectors fringe depth, it soon gets old, it's hat
> eful digging them!

Yes Hound, they are the “already burnt” variety here. And the ground IS very wet here right now, just rained for 2 days straight. Trying to figure out what’s going on is quite a chore...
Thanks for the tips, I’ll have to try Field 1....if it ever warms up again!