Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Metal detector for 9 yr old...which one?

Posted by adamBomb 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Metal detector for 9 yr old...which one?
December 10, 2019 03:26PM
Hey all,

My wife and I think our oldest is finally ready to start to hunt with dad! He has asked to go several times and I think he would really enjoy his own machine! I ONLY hunt saltwater beaches...and having said that I am NOT buying him a saltwater machine haha rather one that will do ok on the dry sand. This is for a 9 yr old and his 6 and 4 yr old brothers might be handling it too so I don't want to care too much if and when they break it! I have narrowed it down to two machines - the bounty hunter jr, which is $40 on amazon or the bounty hunter tracker IV, which is $70 on amazon.

I used to own the tracker iv, its what I started on. I know it detects the dry sand pretty well because I've done it. This is exactly where my son would be detecting. I guess my questions are, is the Jr as powerful as the IV? Is the IV too big for a 9 yr old or is the JR too small for a 9 yr old? Any others I should consider given I am really looking for a step up from a toy?

If only I didn't get rid of my original tracker ivmoody smiley

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
Re: Metal detector for 9 yr old...which one?
December 10, 2019 03:35PM
Don't forget the new version of the Junior, with an LCD screen and basic target ID. Is it called the Junior TID ? It's more expensive than the basic meter model, but still cheap ( in the US )
December 10, 2019 03:46PM
Pimento Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't forget the new version of the Junior, with a
> n LCD screen and basic target ID. Is it called the
> Junior TID ? It's more expensive than the basic me
> ter model, but still cheap ( in the US )

Well lets add that that one to the mix too! If anyone has compared any of these let me know.

[www.amazon.com]

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
December 10, 2019 04:11PM
Costco has the Discovery 3300 on sale for 84.99. Its basically an F4 with a manual ground balance. A good step up from the Tracker IV with enough power and features to keep everyone happy until they are ready to move above the hundred dollar price point.

I have fond memories of the Tracker IV and still use one ocassionally, however the 3300 is nice enough for everyone.

HH
Mike
December 10, 2019 04:23PM
I am supposed to stop by costco tomorrow after work so I will check it out.

December 10, 2019 04:27PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> Costco has the Discovery 3300 on sale for 84.99.

If your trying for a sub $100 detector, this is the one I'd go for as well.
OBN
December 10, 2019 06:03PM
Me ..I would buy him a Nox..600, always nice to have a back up machine..........of course when he is not around..grinning smiley

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
December 10, 2019 06:35PM
adamBomb Wrote:
> I guess my questions are, is the Jr as powerful as the IV? Is the IV too big for a
> 9 yr old or is the JR too small for a 9 yr old?

The original Jr is a TR machine, the new one is a VLF. For a 9yr old, I think they are too small and too toy-ish. I would recommend them for a 6 yr old. The Tracker would be a better choice that takes him along for a few years. Mike's suggestion of the 3300 is better yet.