Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher Impulse AQ testing

Posted by cdv 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
cdv
Fisher Impulse AQ testing
December 18, 2019 05:54PM
This post is mainly to see IF Fisher is reading this forum and what has been said on the Impulse AQ. IF this machine is getting close to production, just exactly 'why' DOESN'T Tom Dankowski have a AQ prototype for his scientific analysis and input? Being this is a "beach" machine, I can't think of a better person (with his resume and experience in the field) to test the AQ. His experience and the fact his location is Florida is the perfect combination for proper testing of this machine. Not to mention he has numerous acquaintances that would be more than willing to dig those deep holes!

Come on Fisher, let Tom get his hands on the AQ.

Cliff
Re: Fisher Impulse AQ testing
December 18, 2019 06:27PM
I believe Tom had a visit from Fisher a good while back with a prototype Impulse. If you are looking for Tom to use it and then publish his impressions/findings, then it would not be engineering testing, but what is commonly called marketing testing. Someone gets a copy and spends a their own time and effort learning about it with the expectation that they or the manufacturer will publish the testing results.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
cdv
December 18, 2019 08:11PM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe Tom had a visit from Fisher a good while
> back with a prototype Impulse.

Even better, if Tom had a visit from Fisher "a good while back" what a better way then to have him "visit" it again to see IF/HOW changes since then have changed the machine.

Cliff
December 18, 2019 10:06PM
Its my understanding Tom did have a visit from the Fisher team who showed him the proto type Rick. During that meeting apparently they borrowed his AquaStar for a good long while. That speaks for its self since his was tuned by Eric Foster. But thats been a good 2 years ago i believe... if not more. Since then hes had little to no contact about the machine, but they have apparently made quite the improvements. Something we all are waiting to see. Rick call it what you want, but you know Toms background and passion for helping us all learn these new detectors. Hes got no dog in the fight and his reviews are pretty straight forward based on extremely meticulous methods. Just like the Nox that he could finally talk about. Hes given us a wealth of info on how to get the best out of that machine and just how those settings interact..... and what its strength and weaknesses might be. Sure didnt get any of this from a ML Engineer..... and doubt we will from Fisher....companys just dont do that. They put the manual out and kind of leave us on our own. One reason we get machines that may be dumbed down a bit so the general hunter can use them out of the box. I dont think this will be the case with this machine..... i expect enough power that most will have a learning curve...... i hope. The reason most of us are here is because we have access to Tom. Hes one busy guy...... but always willing to answer questions do reviews and help companies put out the best produce they can. Toms has a LONG history with Fisher..... all we are asking is he not be left out so we can have something to work with when this thing hits the street.
December 18, 2019 10:36PM
There is one major difference between the AQ and every other machine released in the past decade or two. Compared to something like a modern VLF detector, AQ is terrifyingly SIMPLE. It has few controls and their actions are straightforward (although they do interact with each other to some degree). It is intended for one thing - finding gold jewelry in salt water beach environments.

As for it’s simplicity - compared it to a Minelab SDC 2300 or a GP 2100. Focused on one job, no mystical names attached to controls which change multiple operating parameters which the manufacturer is unwilling to disclose. Just an all metal mode, two iron ID modes, a pulse delay setting, a threshold, an SAT (recovery speed) control and a variable control for the degree of Iron ID. All knobs, each controlling a single thing each of which is familiar to any experienced detector operator, especially if you have used a PI before.

Tom’s insights will no doubt be forthcoming as I am sure he will have one soon enough. As far as some analysis and comment prior to market release - I doubt that will happen - my thoughts only. Tom’s knowledge of the Aquastar and his exposure to the Manta prototype are plenty of basis for him to share the huge amount he already knows about PI’s in gold jewelry hunting. The AQ’s improvements over the Eric Foster machines were evident several years ago in the Manta program and the fine tuning of the AQ which has occurred since Tom handled the prototype are not changes in essence, they are changes in effective power to find gold.

For those who hesitate to plunk down somewhere in the range of $2k on this machine without it being blessed by Tom or anybody else - beyond the information which has already been posted here and elsewhere - they will have the advantage of waiting until public notice is available by users. However, hose earlier users who feel that they have enough information to buy at launch time might be on YOUR beaches - and gold beyond the reach of current machines may prove to be an essentially non-renewable resource - kind of like gold nuggets. First come with the right tool gets the gold,

Rick Kempf

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2019 10:53PM by lytle78.
December 18, 2019 11:59PM
Until this machine hits the street buddy it’s yet to be seen if it out performs my MDT In the water. There are always better hunters or machines on the beach. I don’t need a machine BLESSED by anyone..... but I respect his opinion as do most who come on his site. You can only get so much info from USERS.... he presents a lot of answers to why and how. Dang I’m glad you don’t decide if he gets an early peak lol
December 19, 2019 02:32AM
Rick....if Tom would have been included in the test of the AQ in the first place, its quite possible it would have been at market a long time ago, or at least A LOT sooner. Those of us who personally KNOW Tom know his skills and passion for detecting.

And no, we don’t need Toms “blessing”, (nice, love the sarcasm), we only want the confidence before plunking down a hard earned $2k on a machine thats only been “tested” by people we do not know...AND also do NOT have the skill, experience and intellectual knowledge that Tom has.

Aaron
December 19, 2019 11:50AM
I assume you are talking about ...... those who get the machine once released. Because i dont doubt JAG and those working with the project are talented. I did not buy a CTX because of price....... $2400 was a chunk of change and i didnt feel there would be much difference in the salt water. I waited several years and even then bought used from a good friend. I was right by the way..... all things are equal in the salt water.... NOT that the CTX as an all around machine ISNT good. I liked it. It had some water issues too with that smaller O ring..... as did almost all water machines. I just like a lot of buyers knowledge on big purchases. Not that $2000 is a huge investment for anyone who water hunts a lot if this thing is as good as predicted. Should sell a LOT of um...... and hopefully get things moving toward more PI use. I know Carl has his own site....... how many goes there for information? If he did reviews ...... you would want to hear from him before this purchase..... even if it was a ML machine? But Tom seems to be the only guy doing reviews on machines. Most are directed toward the how to get the best out of the machine....... NOT the inside dope on how they work...... which would go over my head any way lol.
December 19, 2019 11:56AM
No. I am referring to the R@D and testing stage.
Regarding talent.....compared to Tom, agreed.
Nice thread Cliff.

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2019 12:19PM by Aaron.
December 19, 2019 12:20PM
Ive been impressed thus far Aaron by the machines results. JAG has put up some pretty impressive finds. Im hoping to get the same results..... depth and sensitivity wise thou im realistic about my conditions and what may be there. That 7uS is really going to be interesting to us ... especially in the wet sand. Will we get anything MISSED..... by say the Nox? Oh i think bringing Tom into it a couple of years ago ...... may have delayed the machine, but in the long run we WILL get a much better machine. Having a machine taken to its limits puts us years ahead toward the next machine. Just think where Whites might have been several years ago had they listened to Carl on the TDI.

I agree...... good thread Cliff .. thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2019 12:21PM by dewcon4414.
December 19, 2019 12:47PM
IDK dew, how many years has this project been going? I don’t see how Tom could have made it any slower! LOL
And if it’s done right the first time, what difference does it make?
Something that’s been bugging me for quite a long time since Rick has become the “spokesperson” for FTP, is what exactly is his interest in all this? He doesn’t live anywhere near a ocean nor is he experienced with a pulse machine? What incentive does he have with having to answer all these questions for so many years? Has FTP possibly offered him exclusive North American sales of the Manta?
Only Rick and FTP can answer those questions....

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2019 01:01PM by Aaron.
December 19, 2019 01:08PM
Awww ... but we know from the thread that from the time Tom got involved it has evolved to become a much better machine. Did Tom make a difference ...... his machine seems to have and i cant believe his imput didnt. So i dont think they would have given us nearly the machine we will be getting. It seems Alexandria has upped the game to ensuring we get what we are looking for ..... not a watered down version. If 7us works in the salt water ...... and we now can get 24K gold it was worth the LONG wait. Anyone know if we get 2 tones when in AM or are we getting a single tone ...... in both AM and disc? Seems like it was going to be a single LOW tone in AM .....and in disc we were going to hear those window targets also in single tone...... but a higher pitch? At this point i think what Rick is saying Toms review isnt going to change the machine..... it is what it is. Im saying lets get this party started with Toms review and launch it........
December 19, 2019 01:09PM
Aaron Wrote:

> And if it’s done right the first time, what differ
> ence does it make?

Agreed Aaron. If the machine is worth the wait, what's another 4-6 months. Seems it is pretty close to completion. There will always be the dedicated, die hard beach hunters who will take the plunge and report back. I for one appreciate those hunters since I don't get out as much as I would like and at this point won't take the plunge at first.

Those that get one right off the bat and report findings help guys like me make rational decisions on buy/don't buy as well as the decision to sell off other machines to get one.

One thing for sure....in this day and age, a simple, reliable, high performing detector for salt water beach work is something I would look forward to. Simple being paramount. I forgot how to set up some the machines I have for optimal performance !
December 19, 2019 01:32PM
I appreciate those guys too........ but remember some of those Videos we get...... ugh. Some have no idea of how to test a machine..... sometime we get more from what their finds show us than what they tell us. I water hunt....... and i take depth readings out the with a grain of salt. Its just tricky to say how deep stuff is. Then in the wet sand...... as long as you arent down near the oat meal you can get a fairly good reading. But thats also where most machine we are using perform their best it seems. I agree..... for beach hunting we just need a good raw power simple machine. Thats what made the Xcal top dog for so long.
December 19, 2019 09:38PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> I appreciate those guys too........

dew...you are one of those guys I appreciate. Wish I could hunt 1/50th the time you, Joe and some of the other diehards do.
December 19, 2019 10:58PM
Thanks..... being retired and lazy gives me a lot of beach time. I’m sure anyone who’s out there like me can trip over just as much gold as I do. Living in Fl is a blessing too.
December 20, 2019 09:14AM
Dew, my guess is that when people go to the beach and don't see you, for a second they'd think they were at the wrong beach.
December 20, 2019 11:22AM
Ozzie...... i try to keep a low profile, but you tend to get to know the regulars. But talking to a few is about the only thing that slows me down. Im sometimes embarrassed to say how many hours i am out there.....with so few results. As far as Joe...... man that guys my hero.... 125 so far for the year AND he wants an AQ lol. He just been so consistent for well over 5 years. Plus the contributions to improving machines, headphones and was doing repairs. I dont know where he finds the time.
December 20, 2019 07:52PM
Considering the weather I’m used to this time of year, I’d love to be on the beach swinging a coil, even if I wasn’t finding much!

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2019 08:08PM by Aaron.
December 20, 2019 08:13PM
Tom will be getting one to test - or so I have been told - no details available.

Rick Kempf
December 20, 2019 08:17PM
That’s great news! THX

Aaron
December 20, 2019 08:21PM
Will be an interesting thing to watch as four companies mix their IP in the brain of Tom Dankowski.

HH
Mike
cdv
December 20, 2019 08:26PM
Really good to hear Rick!
Cliff
December 21, 2019 12:25AM
Did you honestly thing Tom would not be testing a new Fisher??
December 21, 2019 12:43PM
Im glad hes getting one... but at this point hes doing more of a review. Id liked to have had him been one of those TESTERS several months back. Hes been involved for years with Fisher and id say the one person most know who does quality testing and reviews. So..... Rick, im assuming you didnt have to sign a NDA even thou it could be months from release? At this point..... i think we all are just looking for more quality information in lieu of speculation lol. But .... after the unboxing, personally id be planning a BEACH day regardless of how far it is......THATS what we want to see buddy.
December 21, 2019 01:01PM
Agreed, it would have been cool if Tom could have been involved in the original R@D, however the powers that be had their reasons, politics no doubt played a BIG part. It’s good to hear that he’ll at least be getting one for all the time FTP had his AquaStar. The Manta is going to have healthy dose of AQUASTAR DNA flowing through it...
December 21, 2019 01:48PM
Aaron - Tom was involved as has been documented previously on this forum. Carl Moreland, Enginering Manager at Fisher traveled to FL with a Manta prototype and they tested it together with Tom’s modified Aquastar.

Rick Kempf
December 21, 2019 02:32PM
True.... apparently thou a lot changed ....especially in the depth and disc from what we gather before the testing began a few months back. Then it went back to to the engineers before this one now in production.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2019 09:08PM by dewcon4414.
December 21, 2019 04:23PM
Understood Rick. The testing that we’re referring too is testing similar that Tom has done for FTP in the past and currently w MineLab and Nokta where he is testing all the prototypes and or receiving updated software before the product actually gos into production.

All that aside, we’re really hoping the machine is successful....

Aaron
December 21, 2019 09:09PM
Got my thumbs up on that too Aaron.