Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Make your own coil?

Posted by wjs 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
wjs
Make your own coil?
December 20, 2019 03:52PM
Check out this link. Is this a kit to make your own coil?

[www.ebay.com]
Re: Make your own coil?
December 20, 2019 07:01PM
Sure, if you know exactly what you are doing, BUT just because its a minelab coil shell doesnt mean that thing is going to work on a minelab!

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

December 20, 2019 07:01PM
There is almost no way on earth that someone is going to make a detector coil, home-built, that is going to exceed a manufacturer's coil . Today's detectors and coils are super-highly designed, to super high standards. And even a 1/10000" inch difference in length of wire-windings can spell a difference of results. The ability of a casual hobbyist to make-their-own coil, that would be better than the manufacturer, is not going to be possible.

And if there ever WAS any way for someone to "make a better mousetrap" detector mod (coil or otherwise), then : The manufacturer themselves would be "all over that" to start implementing it on their own stock offerings . Doh !

And seeing as how you can buy used coils on the cheap these days (for most machines anyhow), you can simply buy a used coil for $50, and save all-that-time. Eh ?
December 20, 2019 07:08PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is almost no way on earth that someone is go
> ing to make a detector coil, home-built, that is g
> oing to exceed a manufacturer's coil . Today's
> detectors and coils are super-highly designed, to
> super high standards. And even a 1/10000" inch d
> ifference in length of wire-windings can spell a d
> ifference of results. The ability of a casual h
> obbyist to make-their-own coil, that would be bett
> er than the manufacturer, is not going to be possi
> ble.
>

Sure, if you are talking about modern DD coils for multi-freq coils. Dont forget about the old school stuff you started with. Someone could still build their own PI, BFO, TR types of detectors.

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

December 20, 2019 07:16PM
If you want to make your own coils, buy this book.....Inside The Metal Detector Second Edition by George Overton (Author), Carl Moreland (Author)

HH
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2019 07:38PM by Mike Hillis.
December 20, 2019 07:23PM
I just want Nokta Makro to do their own version of a Bigfoot/CSC. If anyone can do it, it’s them.
Sorry I went off topic.
December 20, 2019 07:40PM
I'm right there with you Jamie,

I'd love a 4 x18 inch DD or a 4 x 18" figure eight coil for the Impact. Or anything even near that size.

HH
Mike
December 21, 2019 01:20AM
Be aware this coil kit does not include any material for making the coil windings.

Includes only:
Just a bare shell
Coil Cable wire that goes from your coil to the detector control box
Cable gland fitting with stress relief.
Some micro balloon powder to mix into the potting epoxy (not included) that you fill the shell with. The micro balloons is a lightweight filler, so less epoxy is needed to
fill the shell, making a lighter weight coil. For a water detector the coil may end up too light and may want to float in salt water.
Carbon graphite powder to mix into another resin type material to make an EMI shield. Which may not be ideal.

[www.amazon.com]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2019 01:24AM by Sven1.