Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Competition Hunt Help

Posted by Jeff Harris 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Competition Hunt Help
December 22, 2019 06:17AM
Last year I struggled mightily with EMI at our club holiday hunt.I was using my F75 & Gold Bug Pro with the large coils.The site for our planted hunt is a large dirt lot owned by a church. Last year they added a cell tower to the property and my machines sounded like movie telegraph operator.There are a lot of different machines being used by members, so some cross-talk, but that's par...any setting ideas would really be welcome. Maybe I should go analog and use my old original Bandido? Hey Rick Kempf. Thanks.

Jeff
Re: Competition Hunt Help
December 22, 2019 02:34PM
I do know about the Bandido but the Cibola,Mojave, and Vaquero work well for this kind of hunt.You want to use a smaller coil to aid in pinpointing. Collecting your finds quickly is the secret.
December 22, 2019 04:06PM
Analog detectors suffer from the same cross-talk (interference) issues as digital detectors. Because the targets are very shallow, reducing the Gain/sensitivity will help with reducing the interference from other detectors. Using a detector that runs at a different frequency than most all the others on the hunt field can make a big difference. Perform an air test using a dime, on the detector you want use and adjust the gain down to where the detector will still hit it at 4-5". This will allow you to hit the dimes and any larger targets without receiving too much interference from other detectors. It will also help with the EMI mitigation. As Texan posted above, the secret is quick recovery. I see folks using pin pointers. If you have to use a pin pointer, you're taking way to long to recover the targets. Practice locating and retrieving the targets as quick as possible.
On the field, stay away from any multi frequency detectors as they have the best chance of causing interference to other machines, the Equinox, CTX, and any PI will cause you major interference issues. Good luck, I'll see you at the Church.
December 22, 2019 05:53PM
I would suggest using the largest coil you can reasonably swing for the duration of a hunt. The goal is to find targets by covering ground as fast as possible.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

December 23, 2019 12:24AM
Older non DST units had enough of their problems emi wise without other detectors nearby.
Try a DST fisher unit. Should be loads better.
December 23, 2019 02:46AM
I know when I went to a hunt with my CTX, I had a lot of space to myself... the FBS screws with a lot of single freq detectors!

December 23, 2019 02:56AM
Good place for this video i did.
Granted most folks won’t have their unit this close to others units hopefully.
[m.youtube.com]
December 23, 2019 02:59AM
haha, yeah youre that close to other detectors a LOT in competition field hunts! You can expect to be should to shoulder on the line.

December 23, 2019 06:09AM
Thanks everyone for their input. I do have DST on my F75 so will use it as my primary and my F44 with that goofy coil as my back up. Will be bringing a couple of silver coins to practice on before the hunt starts, make sure I'm really tuned in. I agree on pinpointers, don't own one. Silverfiend I like your videos. Thanks again.

Jeff
December 23, 2019 12:34PM
Pair your Goldbug Pro with a NEL Sharpshooter search coil and keep your sensitivity set low.

tabman