Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I have a new found respect for you beach and water hunters.

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I have a new found respect for you beach and water hunters.
January 09, 2020 09:49PM
It's been about 30 years since I did any hunting around the water. I moved to central Texas this October and we happen to be 5 minutes from a lake. Remembering all the jewelry I found back then spurned me on to try it again. Well, it seems the years have clouded my memory of just how much crap gets deposited around water. I've been using the Nox in Park 2 with 2 tones and have my tone break set at 0, F2 iron bias at 0.

I can only take 2-3 hours at a time before I up my tone break to 19, a man can take only so much smiling smiley I find it amazing just how sensitive the Nox is too small pieces of metal. I found myself chasing after stuff so small I can't see it without my glasses, I'm not sure how many targets I just gave up on. It seems that people think they need to throw their beer cans into the fire to get rid of them, then throw the coals into the water. Melted aluminum in every shape and size is spread all over this spot.

I posted pictures of all the trash I had to dig to find the keepers shown below the last 5 hunts. I can't imagine trying to recover anything in even knee deep water. You guys are a different breed of hunter and my hats off you ya, you have to be dedicated to go thru that every time you hunt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2020 09:57PM by Dan(NM).
Re: I have a new found respect for you beach and water hunters.
January 09, 2020 10:13PM
Fresh water hunting is W O R K. Stuff dissolves very slow. Ya normally got tons more trash because very little is picked up. Pull tabs seem to breed just like gum wrappers. You can have an almost impossible hard pan to dig in. But.... the waters not kicking your butt .... and you weren’t using a PI. Takes a lot of patience. Still good finds..... respect for all that digging
cdv
January 09, 2020 10:30PM
Dan, looks about right for a fresh water lake. I feel your pain. Keep at it until there are no signals....then bring in a PI. grinning smiley
Nice finds there too!

Cliff
January 09, 2020 10:45PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Fresh water hunting is W O R K. Stuff dissolves
> very slow. Ya normally got tons more trash becau
> se very little is picked up. Pull tabs seem to br
> eed just like gum wrappers. You can have an almo
> st impossible hard pan to dig in. But.... the wa
> ters not kicking your butt .... and you weren’t us
> ing a PI. Takes a lot of patience. Still good
> finds..... respect for all that digging

The only saving grace is the hard pan, not much was very deep. There is very little sand and this area is nothing but rocks. But the amount of trash is almost over whelming, like I said, I can only handle it for so long. There are other guys hunting around here, but, they are cherry picking coins.
January 09, 2020 10:49PM
cdv Wrote:
> Dan, looks about right for a fresh water lake. I f
> eel your pain. Keep at it until there are no signa
> ls....then bring in a PI. grinning smiley
> Nice finds there too!
>
> Cliff

Thank you Cliff, It'll take me a lifetime to clean up this mess. I went over a small spot 3 times and was still digging crap. The beach shore is about 4 or 5 blocks long with about 100' exposed from the low water level. I'll have me a spot all year long smiling smiley
January 10, 2020 07:38AM
Hey Dan,

Your trash to cash ratio looks pretty good actually. At the Salt River in AZ it's even worse. Add bobby pins into the mix from female (and maybe even some man bun types) tubers and you can dig 100+ bad targets for every good one. Keep grinding, that 18K men's bracelet is your next target.

Jeff
OBN
January 10, 2020 03:33PM
Looks like your getting your workout. For me that part of the hunt is the most important. If I were to lax at home for sure I would be fat..Thanks for sharing.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
Respect for beach and water hunters.
January 10, 2020 10:29PM
Dan,

The good thing is that when you go back to the area (if you go back), it will be that much cleaner.

Rich-

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Re: Respect for beach and water hunters.
January 10, 2020 11:58PM
Gonebeepin' Wrote:
> Dan,
>
> The good thing is that when you go back to the are
> a (if you go back), it will be that much cleaner.
>
>
> Rich-

Lol...and I will and I'll drop my tone break down a little bit more.
January 11, 2020 05:06AM
Doesn't look too bad Dan, at least you are having some success.

I've done some lake hunting up where my parents live with some success, especially during the drought years. Now the lake is full, so not really worth it, but it was a project, first several inches are loose sand, then you get down to a gravel layer and under that is hardpan clay. It's the oldest fresh water lake in north america (or so they claim) and was a super popular beach resort area up until more recent times, now it's mostly popular to bass fishermen, but not so much for swimming any more.
January 11, 2020 01:53PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Doesn't look too bad Dan, at least you are having
> some success.
>
> I've done some lake hunting up where my parents li
> ve with some success, especially during the drough
> t years. Now the lake is full, so not really wort
> h it, but it was a project, first several inches a
> re loose sand, then you get down to a gravel layer
> and under that is hardpan clay. It's the oldest f
> resh water lake in north america (or so they claim
> ) and was a super popular beach resort area up unt
> il more recent times, now it's mostly popular to b
> ass fishermen, but not so much for swimming any mo
> re.

Unfortunately at this particular spot on the lake, it's a rather new township, founded in 1987 and the park is even newer. The lake was formed in the late 40's when they dammed the Colorado river to form Lake Travis. So, nothing old is going to turn up from this spot. I am however surrounded my dozens of lakes, creeks and rivers all within an hours drive that have could produce.
January 11, 2020 02:04PM
I know the lakes are full of goodies. Gotta clean out the bad to find the good. Keep going back and keep digging!

January 11, 2020 02:19PM
okara gold Wrote:
> I know the lakes are full of goodies. Gotta clean
> out the bad to find the good. Keep going back and
> keep digging!
>
>
>
>

Very impressive!! This is a semi private park, you have to have a key card to get in. This is good and bad, it limits the amount of people that get to use the park, but, it also limits the amount of detectors being used. From what I see from hunting here for the last week, the guys that do hunt it are cherry picking for coins and silver jewelry.
January 11, 2020 07:38PM
On wet-salt inter-tidal zone beaches, I've been on zones where there is only heavy targets. Like coins, sinkers, etc... Zero aluminum (sometimes even zero zinc pennies). Because if there's been erosion (storms/swells/tides to erode), then: Mother nature takes out all that light stuff. If I'm on the wet inter-tidal zone, and start finding aluminum, is the moment I leave. That tells me that the right type of erosion hasn't been going on.