Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

High tone-Flip plug then nothing? Equinox

Posted by Gannon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
High tone-Flip plug then nothing? Equinox
January 13, 2020 02:12AM
Guys I’m stumped. I have one year of digging the Equinox 800 (Park 1-Multi-Speed 2-iron bias -1- GB 0)
So at least 10-20 times now As I’m chasing deep silver I come across a deep high tone.... repeatable. Once the plug is flipped... nada!
Nothing in the plug or hole for a high tone that is. Only when I get my pin pointer out and Lesche and start digging do I find the silver/deep coin.
Any thoughts? Why would removing all that soil/iron over it maybe make the tone disappear?

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
Re: High tone-Flip plug then nothing? Equinox
January 13, 2020 02:19AM
Many possible reasons:

1. Coin is now masked by a piece of iron (that is now above the coin).
2. Coin fell deeper into the hole.
3. Coin fell 'on-edge' back in the hole.
4. Sweeping coil over a hole..... in mineralized dirt.... can mask a weak/deep target.

And a host of several other reasons; yet, the (above) 4 are probably the most common reasons.
January 13, 2020 02:21AM
Gannon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Guys I’m stumped. I have one year of digging the E
> quinox 800 (Park 1-Multi-Speed 2-iron bias -1- GB
> 0)
> So at least 10-20 times now As I’m chasing deep si
> lver I come across a deep high tone.... repeatable
> . Once the plug is flipped... nada!
> Nothing in the plug or hole for a high tone that i
> s. Only when I get my pin pointer out and Lesche a
> nd start digging do I find the silver/deep coin.
> Any thoughts? Why would removing all that soil/iro
> n over it maybe make the tone disappear?

Targets located with EQX and dirt is removed and target still buried(in the hole) you might still detect on more sweeps, you might not.
Same goes for plugs removed and flipped.

My advice.
Have confidence on what you heard and stay with your supposed target. Find out what tripped the EQX. It is also helpful and I have seen this boatloads. Flipped plug running disc on EQX no signal yet the find is in plug. Push horseshoe button and you get iron tone on nonferous object. Now, could be soil matrix disturbed and or ferrous masker present.

Cheers.
January 13, 2020 08:13AM
The hole upsets the detector, single-freq machines are prone to it, even multi-freq machines can suffer. Try using pinpoint mode, it may give you a more reliable confirmation the target is still in the hole.
January 13, 2020 11:41AM
If you didnt find it with the PPer .....it could well be a hot rock near the surface that over sensitivity recognized, once moved it didnt.
January 13, 2020 05:28PM
Problem/issue not isolated to that detector by any means. As Tom mentioned, most times appears to be iron masking, frustrating. At old plantation sites I would sometimes put the plug farther from the hole so the coil edge would not overlap onto the plug. What size coil are you using? .
January 13, 2020 06:38PM
I happens with the F 75, I know. In fact, that disappearing act happened this morning on a soggy woods hunt.

I was in B P mode working over 2-3" of leaf cover when I got a repeatable whimper. Removed about 7" or so of dirt and checked the dirt and hole. Nothing, nada, not even a tic. Probed around with the pin pointer and felt nothing. Removed a little more dirt, nothing in the dirt so probed again. Off to the side of the bottom of the hole got a faint vibration pushing the 9" mark and recovered a 1916 wheat cent.

I've had that happen on occasion before, so if a nice signal to began with, don't give up on it. HH jim tn
January 14, 2020 01:51AM
This is an issue that’s been around since day one with metal detecting no matter what brand you’re swinging. New technology hasn’t solved it yet. Best thing to do is to keep trying to find the target until you come to a point and decide it’s not worth anymore effort
January 14, 2020 11:05AM
Ive also had that happen a lot when i used to detect grass....... some times it was a matter of me flipping the target a good ways away from the hole. With these newer machines like the Nox picking up flakes now..... i changed my tattics ...... i now dig the sand .. kick it a bit ... if i dont see yellow im not getting down there looking for it.
January 16, 2020 02:20AM
Thanks for all the responses! It may be the iron. It is taking me quite some time to understand what the equinox is telling me. As with any machine I’ve messed with the settings and found one I like even in pretty dense iron. The schools from 1931 and there is iron everywhere. Appreciate all the responses And I will try all the suggestions above.

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]