Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Hoover Boys Strike a Big OLD Gold coin (video)

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Hoover Boys Strike a Big OLD Gold coin (video)
January 15, 2020 02:39AM
This video posted 1 week ago on YouTube.

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 02:42AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Hoover Boys Strike a Big OLD Gold coin (video)
January 15, 2020 07:38AM
Very nice colonial finds, especially the gold coin, find of a lifetime.

Do these guys ever give finds back to the owners? Gold coins or other finds?. I hope so, at least pay the owner it’s value.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 07:40AM by Apolonio (CA).
January 15, 2020 03:16PM
I always wondered why these land owners would not see all the rare finds coming out of their ground and just say to theirself why not buy a Detector and find it myself?
January 15, 2020 03:35PM
When I relic hunted, all of my hunting was on private property. It always amazed me that most of them couldn't care less about what happened on their property history wise, and don't even want to look at what you found. I had one tell me he would only be interested in anything I found if I found the lost Confederate payroll like he saw them boys hunting for on tv. I would say the vast majority of landowners that have let me hunt didn't care a thing in the world about coins or relics. I never could wrap my head around it but but it's true.
January 15, 2020 11:41PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I relic hunted, all of my hunting was on priv
> ate property. It always amazed me that most of th
> em couldn't care less about what happened on their
> property history wise, and don't even want to look
> at what you found. I had one tell me he would only
> be interested in anything I found if I found the l
> ost Confederate payroll like he saw them boys hunt
> ing for on tv. I would say the vast majority of l
> andowners that have let me hunt didn't care a thin
> g in the world about coins or relics. I never coul
> d wrap my head around it but but it's true.

I've hunted a lot of permissions over the years, only a couple wanted to see what I found, no one wanted anything, it is weird.
January 16, 2020 01:57AM
Now that is a amazing find and one BEAUTIFUL coin!
January 16, 2020 01:59AM
Incredible coin. Just mind-blowing. And they dug TWO from that field?!

BEYOND mid-blowing.

Wow.

Steve
January 16, 2020 02:42AM
steveg Wrote:
> Incredible coin. Just mind-blowing. And they dug
> TWO from that field?!
>
> BEYOND mid-blowing.
>
> Wow.
>
> Steve

Yeah right on Steve.
I would be in there with a Minelab GPX for sure. And some other VLF detectors like EQX/Deus/ORX. Could be a hoard there somewhere who knows.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2020 02:47AM by tnsharpshooter.
January 16, 2020 02:50AM
Those guys get it in, incredible finds..thanks for posting TN
January 16, 2020 11:27AM
Hard workers. I say that on every post I make about them. Hard work eventually gets rewarded. He slurred his words and was pretty well out of it during the gold coin find. Worth watching for that reason alone. Most of the large cents they find are eaten to nothing. But that gold looks beautiful.
January 17, 2020 03:48AM
steveg Wrote:
> Incredible coin. Just mind-blowing. And they dug
> TWO from that field?!
>
> BEYOND mid-blowing.
>
> Wow.
>
> Steve

That's how many Garrett buried for them.

Old boys digging too much gold to be legit.

g
January 17, 2020 05:13AM
I don't question the legitimacy of their finds at all. I've seen enough faking and planted stuff to know the difference. I think theirs is genuine. What sets them apart from the rest of us is that they continually have new sites to hunt. I am guilty of getting lazy and just going back to sites I already have permission for and rehunting ground I have hunted dozens upon dozens of times, hoping to clean up something I have missed. Researching is fun...asking and seeking permission is not fun to me, so my tendency as of late, is to just avoid it all together. The guys that put in the work and aren't bashful in asking permission always find more because they continually have new ground to hunt.

With that said, two of their 3 gold coins have came from the same field, same site. Anybody that has detected any length of time can tell you of sites where certain rare items have came up in multiples. In Civil War hunting, Confederate relics are rarer than Union relics. Confederate belt plates are cream of the crop. In today's modern era, you only see or hear of a handful being dug. Some hunters have only ever found one in a life time of hunting, and some have found none. I've never personally found one but have been on hunts where they were found. Well several years ago, a fella in middle Tennessee hit on a site where he found 11 of them...the rectangular CSA variety. Worth about $3,000 a piece if you were to buy one. I saw then in person at a civil war show. Rumor is, since then, he had found a couple more from the same site. It is not uncommon for some sites to produce like that. In fact, we have a tendency to nickname sites or spots based off what comes out of them. I've seen it quite a lot over the years and have a few nicknamed spots myself.
January 19, 2020 07:52AM
I hunt 100s of fields in Eastern NC, and don't believe that they really find that much at all. I hunted many 1700s sites that have never been hunted and many don't even hold one old coin. Lot's of flat buttons and other relics. I believe the fields they hunt are planted. The old British coins they find are crazy. I have only seen a very few in over 20 years of hunting here. Can't get much older than East NC.
January 19, 2020 11:29AM
Location demographic has everything to do with it. There are 1700s sites in TN as well, and they don't produce many coins and few buttons. But in my travels, I have been to Virginia and Maryland, and in my experience, the people that settled in those areas were far more wealthy and thus had more to lose. I've experienced it first hand, digging several coppers, etc out of homesites up there and I don't get to spend no where near the time the Hoovers do in hunting and all the sites I've hunted, have already been hunted and cherry picked. I can go to middle or west Tennessee and hunt 1800s and early 1900s homesites and do pretty good on silver coins, indian head cents, nickels, etc. Those areas were settled with wealthy people to start with, and by the time the 1900s rolled around, those areas were booming with industry and higher paying jobs. My area of TN was dirt poor and still largely is. People here didn't have any money to lose. It is interesting getting out of your core home range and hunting in other demographics as to what you find. Even in Civil War relics, there is a huge difference between what the Army of the Cumberland lost/discarded vs the Army of Potomoc. One was very well supplied and stayed in the area most of the war. It took me years to find my first Civil War plate/buckle in Tennessee. Yet when I went to VA, I found one nearly every hunt. Long time hunters up there have dug 200+ plates. I've not even hit a dozen, but what I have found, most came from VA. You find stuff wherever it's at. Like the old saying "Gold is where you find it".

The same goes with fishing or hunting. I can read articles, books, and watch videos of people catching 2 and 3 pound crappie and duplicate everything
OBN
January 19, 2020 01:02PM
goodmore Wrote:
> Hard workers. I say that on every post I make abou
> t them. Hard work eventually gets rewarded. He slu
> rred his words and was pretty well out of it durin
> g the gold coin find. Worth watching for that reas
> on alone. Most of the large cents they find are ea
> ten to nothing. But that gold looks beautiful.

I'm with Goodmore, these guys are legit If you set around on the computer all day your not going to find it. And for those who do plant targets they are only cheating themselves, inside.

free pic hosting

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2020 02:05PM by OBN.
January 20, 2020 07:19AM
OBN --

You are amazing. If I had a 5-hour hunt like that, I would not be able to contain myself. In fact, I probably would have had to quit long before five hours, after finding about half of those targets; all that gold and silver in my pouch would have my brain too wound up to concentrate on the rest of the hunt, so I'd probably just waive the white flag, pack it in, and then come back again the next day, once I calmed down a bit! winking smiley You know the saying "act like you've been there before," well -- I HAVEN'T been! When I look at that stash from your hunt, I'm pretty sure that any ability to "act like I've been there before" would have evaporated after about the third gold ring! LOL!

Spectacular, sir!

Steve
OBN
January 20, 2020 10:04AM
steveg Wrote:
> OBN --
>
> You are amazing. If I had a 5-hour hunt like that
> , I would not be able to contain myself. In fact,
> I probably would have had to quit long before five
> hours, after finding about half of those targets;
> all that gold and silver in my pouch would have my
> brain too wound up to concentrate on the rest of t
> he hunt, so I'd probably just waive the white flag
> , pack it in, and then come back again the next da
> y, once I calmed down a bit! winking smiley You know the say
> ing "act like you've been there before," well -- I
> HAVEN'T been! When I look at that stash from your
> hunt, I'm pretty sure that any ability to "act lik
> e I've been there before" would have evaporated af
> ter about the third gold ring! LOL!
>
> Spectacular, sir!
>
> Steve

Thanks Steve, It was surreal for sure. Just Blessed I came across a good location, tides were low so I took advantage. One reason I'm headed out again, at 5am.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
January 20, 2020 11:03AM
Good luck -- though I think you are at that level where you create your OWN "luck..."

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2020 11:04AM by steveg.