Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Can someone do this test please

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Can someone do this test please
January 19, 2020 06:49AM
Bury a high conductive coin such as a Quarter or Dime deep enough to be at the fringes of the Equinox detection depth.

After detecting it with the normal modes, switch over to 5kz mode and see if you get a better signal.

I live in an apartment complex and have no place to dig without getting into trouble.
Re: Can someone do this test please
January 19, 2020 07:22AM
The test will depend on the soil and emi. If it works better in one area, wont mean it will in another.
January 19, 2020 09:34AM
kevinnc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The test will depend on the soil and emi. If it wo
> rks better in one area, wont mean it will in anoth
> er.

As does every other test quoted on this forum.
January 19, 2020 01:42PM
My test garden is set up with silver dimes and silver quarters buried precisely at one inch increments to beyond detection depth of the Equinox. I've found that 15kHz gets the best depth on quarters and dimes.

The higher the frequency, the smaller the targets it will detect.

5kHz will go very deep on silver Dollars and caches, but not detect smaller targets as well.

10kHz gets the best depth on half dollars.

15 kHz gets the best depth on quarters and dimes.

20 kHz has a slight advantage on half dimes, trimes and half reales.

Single Frequencies are deeper than Multi in clean dirt but are dependent on the size of the target.

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2020 11:24AM by Badger in NH.
January 19, 2020 01:45PM
Yep. I can get my 6.59khz IDXPro to air test WAAAAAYYYH out there, but in the real world....unless it’s very sandy soil...7” on a silver dime with decent ID, 8” with “zinc-ish” ID, gone at 9. That’s running maximum sensitivity with a 9.5” concentric coil. Most ALL of the tests we see are very situational and in that damn “real world”, well....if 5khz worked extremely well everywhere for finding old deep silver coins, everyone would run it. Along comes multi frequency, which not only mitigates the effect of much of the bad ground just by the virtue of how it processes information, but then also offers more accurate ID on coins which are sketchy and deep, because of how it’s analyzing the signal from a few different “angles”. I have had NO issue with crown caps ever since going to FBS, and now Multi-IQ. But if I shift the EQX into a single freq...BAM! Crown cap city. The point is...while 5 kHz MIGHT go deeper in a specific situation, it’s not going to necessarily be the thing to use everywhere because you are essentially “neutering” the machines ability to do what it does best...mitigate ground noise while providing proper ID on targets, good AND bad.
January 19, 2020 02:12PM
In my dirt 5khz is deep it hits my 10" dime 3-4 bar dirt.
January 19, 2020 03:09PM
Wow. So far lots of good information in this thread.
January 19, 2020 03:22PM
Well,
Some interesting comments in this thread.
Can’t agree with all of comments in all detecting scenarios, and or dirt scenarios.

Thus far all I can say. In my area on clean (no ferrous maskers and no nonferrous maskers this excludes higher mineralized) use of multi freq is tops vs use of any single freq ( all things considered - Signal and ID tendencies). Be it a high conductive nonferrous target of low conductive nonferrous target.

Use of single freq in the wild - user will likely see higher than normal ID on deeper targets. EQX behaves more like a typical VLF detector.

I reported on use of EQX here in the wild, even comparing to Xp Deus with use of high freq and low frequency coils. Some folks may have though I was blowing smoke. I sure wasn’t. One little thing folks should notice is XP has discontinued LF coils. And I know why too. Because LF coil could not keep up with EQX many times in the wild comparing targets. Xp when they got their hands on EQX saw this too. Now me saying this doesn’t infer Xp HF coils can always keep up with EQX and Vice versa.

Have a nice daycool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2020 03:24PM by tnsharpshooter.
January 19, 2020 03:43PM
Guess I will put this here. I have talked about this before here too.
I still haven’t seen a detector manufacturer do what I would like.
What exactly?
Make the detector buttons programmable.
What I am referring to is allow user to configure detector to their liking, where fewer buttons pushed (less time and wear and tear is done). This way of having detector buttons programmed should be based on real world use of detector. The ins and outs of little tricks (methods) that can be taken to speed detecting process and recognize good or bad targets. For example, with just ONE push of one button it would be nice to go from multi freq to 5 kHz.
Another example is being able to go from one iron bias setting to another with one push of a button.
What I am basically referring to is user created HOT keys per their desires.
Imo it’s not too late for Minelab to do update (if possible to do) with EQX and give owners this capability.
A system that could indeed be erased and returned to factory default button ops.

Another example
Take a user of EQx using 6” coil. Who really needs pinpoint feature using that coil?
So a user to program pinpoint button to do something else for them to speed progression detecting in the field.

This by doing what I am talking about here would be an eye opener for the competition too. I guarantee it. New model detectors (flagship) models should be designed to allow.

Will I ever get my wish?
Don’t know.
Would be super nice feature though on a worthy detector.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2020 03:46PM by tnsharpshooter.
January 19, 2020 06:06PM
Detectorist...….. In my low mineralization dirt...….. if I switch between 5Khz and Multi (with all other settings the same)...….. on a fringe-depth dime in my test-garden...…… I find that both 5Khz and Multi: achieve/ascertain nearly identical depth capabilities; yet/however, 5Khz presents more ID splatter/bounce. Multi is more ID stable/reliable.
(Also.... 5Khz.....-and/or single freq's-...... most of the time..... has a slightly higher propensity for greater EMI).
January 19, 2020 09:16PM
I get why he's asking the question.

My short (but intense) usage of the 600 clearly showed to me that single 5khz freq produced "cleaner, less dirty mxed signal responses" (shown in my videos before removing) and better, easier and more [ understandable ] tonal respones than those signals "heard" in Multi

Faster, more intuitive less head scratching especially on sites with low mineralisation and 'infrequent' interrogation of junk.
Put simply, brilliant on sites cleared for construction ( which is ever more common on my older sites and just saw where my summertime coin shooting grounds are to be developed in the future) bummer!!!
January 19, 2020 10:03PM
Des D Wrote:
> I get why he's asking the question.
>
> My short (but intense) usage of the 600 clearly sh
> owed to me that single 5khz freq produced "cleaner
> , less dirty mxed signal responses" (shown in my v
> ideos before removing) and better, easier and more
> [ understandable ] tonal respones than those signa
> ls "heard" in Multi
>
> Faster, more intuitive less head scratching especi
> ally on sites with low mineralisation and 'infrequ
> ent' interrogation of junk.
> Put simply, brilliant on sites cleared for constru
> ction ( which is ever more common on my older site
> s and just saw where my summertime coin shooting g
> rounds are to be developed in the future) bummer!!
> !

And I got many clean and clear tonal responses that registered solid 28-31 numbers that never wavered...and dug up one rusty crown cap after another. I would need REALLY clean ground to even attempt single freq anymore around here. Most of us in the hobby are after old silver coins I would imagine, right? And most of us repetitively hunt public ground, everybody that I know does. In order to get in the range of 100 silvers a season, we just cannot be digging up a bunch of targets that are not anywhere near what we expect them to be. THAT is the sheer beauty of multi frequency machines(true simultaneous multi frequency transmission). They can “weed out” SO many BAD targets and let you concentrate on targets that exhibit the traits we look for...a range of higher numbers and tones. It is nice to be ABLE to switch to a single freq in order to avoid EMI and such, but it’s not viable as a long term game plan, unless you want to dig up a STUPID amount of garbage. I know you can switch freqs and see what jumps but that is time consuming and still more of a guess than just using Multi to me. All MHO...
January 20, 2020 07:35AM
I'm asking in order to figure out a good frequency to double check my coin hits. I'll need to experiment I guess
January 20, 2020 11:19AM
Wouldnt it be interesting to have the smartscreen back on such a faster machine with these modes and freqs?
January 20, 2020 12:13PM
Detectorist Wrote:
> I'm asking in order to figure out a good frequency
> to double check my coin hits. I'll need to experim
> ent I guess.

If you are using discrimination, try switching to all metal when you think you might have a coin. It will give you the entire signal, not just part of it.

Iron high tones will usually go silent when you turn 90 degrees to the target. Deep non-ferrous targets near the edge of detection will give high tones all the way around, often mixed with low tones.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2020 09:46PM by Badger in NH.
January 20, 2020 03:39PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Wouldnt it be interesting to have the smartscreen
> back on such a faster machine with these modes and
> freqs?

I want to see the "un conformed" data from each freq like Whites did with the V3.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

======================================================