Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

multi IQ does it have advantages ?over slingle ?

Posted by diggers 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
multi IQ does it have advantages ?over slingle ?
January 24, 2020 03:21PM
we were wondering if it has any proven advantages over a deus? proven in the field against each machine in shoot outs ?
Re: multi IQ does it have advantages ?over slingle ?
January 24, 2020 04:52PM
By "in the field" you're meaning 'dirt/soil detecting' , so ploughed fields, pasture, parks. But not salt beach, freshwater beach ?
Mild dirt? Tough dirt ?
Which coil on the Deus - large / medium / small ? What frequency ? Regular or HF coils ? What firmware revision in the Deus? There's plenty of them ....
Which size Equinox coil ? Which firmware revision ?
What type of targets ? tiny / medium / large ? Low / medium / high conductivity ? On their own, or mixed in among iron ?

If you can really narrow down exactly what you're trying to compare, then you might get a useful answer.

Do you have either of these machines yourself, or are you thinking of buying one, and can't decide which ?? Maybe you own an Equinox, but are thinking about getting a Deus to find specific targets the Eqx may miss ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2020 09:25PM by Pimento.
January 24, 2020 05:16PM
diggers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> we were wondering if it has any proven advantages
> over a deus? proven in the field against each mach
> ine in shoot outs ?

Yes. Better target id at depth, less upscaling, better saltwater performance, to name a few.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2020 05:52PM by Steve Herschbach.
January 25, 2020 04:41AM
M-IQ is pique with (both) low conductors and high conductors..... collectively/simultaneously.
When mineralization intensity increases...… the M-IQ (in general) will 'hold on' to ID's...… to greater depths.
M-IQ almost/not-quite as good as HF Deus in carpets of nails.
January 25, 2020 05:05AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> M-IQ is pique with (both) low conductors and high conductors..... collectively/simultaneously.
> When mineralization intensity increases...… the M-IQ (in general) will 'hold on' to ID's...… to greater depths.
> M-IQ almost/not-quite as good as HF Deus in carpets of nails.

Tom, assuming new FE software upgrade applied and invoked, what settings mimic the HF Deus in the carpet of nails scenario?

TIA,
Brian
January 25, 2020 01:25PM
As long as the detector has a ground balance for ground minerals.
January 25, 2020 01:51PM
On the EQX...…. the more Iron Bias that is added...….. the more the Deus takes the lead … in carpets of nails. NO detector does well in iron. Iron 'lights-up' about 4X better than non-Fe targets. This physics problem is accentuated if you add iron mineralization. Electromagnetic energy is SO resonant to magnetic materials. Unless you are a iron hunter...…. this is a very crippling/unwanted resultant/byproduct.

The Deus/GMP are still the best (to date) at hunting in carpets of nails. The pinnacle performance to be gleaned from the EQX whilst hunting carpets of nails...… is with a F2 '0' setting. There is a unique caveat here. In a nutshell...… the Deus will find more.....and smaller...…. non-ferrous targets...…. in carpets of nails.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,. over the EQX. YET...… the EQX will find more slightly larger AND deeper non-ferrous targets...… over the Deus. (((Almost sounds like I'm contradicting myself))). The Deus uses a higher (and single) frequency...…. allowing it to find smaller targets......and separate better. The EQX uses multi-freqs….. which provides greater depth (in general).,.,.,.,.,.,.,. with the lower frequencies being slightly less resonant to iron.

In many regards...… the EQX is catching up. In some regards...… the EQX surpasses.

In carpets of nails...… there are targets that the EQX will never see....that the Deus can see/detect. --- (((Most predominant/pronounced: Usually 40gr .22 Long Rifle projectile...… and smaller))).
In carpets of nails...… there are targets that the Deus will never see...that the EQX will see/detect. --- (((Most predominant/pronounced: Usually non-ferrous targets that are larger than .22 Long Rifle projectile/bullet))).

The Deus will surprise you. The EQX will surprise you.
January 25, 2020 02:03PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> On the EQX...…. the more Iron Bias that is added..
> .….. the more the Deus takes the lead … in carpets
> of nails. NO detector does well in iron. Iron 'lig
> hts-up' about 4X better than non-Fe targets. This
> physics problem is accentuated if you add iron min
> eralization. Electromagnetic energy is SO resonant
> to magnetic materials. Unless you are a iron hunte
> r...…. this is a very crippling/unwanted resultant
> /byproduct.
>
> The Deus/GMP are still the best (to date) at hunti
> ng in carpets of nails. The pinnacle performance
> to be gleaned from the EQX whilst hunting carpets
> of nails...… is with a F2 '0' setting. There is a
> unique caveat here. In a nutshell...… the Deus wil
> l find more.....and smaller...…. non-ferrous targe
> ts...…. in carpets of nails.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,. over
> the EQX. YET...… the EQX will find more slightly l
> arger AND deeper non-ferrous targets...… over the
> Deus. (((Almost sounds like I'm contradicting myse
> lf))). The Deus uses a higher (and single) frequen
> cy...…. allowing it to find smaller targets......a
> nd separate better. The EQX uses multi-freqs….. wh
> ich provides greater depth (in general).,.,.,.,.,.
> ,.,. with the lower frequencies being slightly les
> s resonant to iron.
>
> In many regards...… the EQX is catching up. In som
> e regards...… the EQX surpasses.
>
> In carpets of nails...… there are targets that the
> EQX will never see....that the Deus can see/detect
> . --- (((Most predominant/pronounced: Usually 40gr
> .22 Long Rifle projectile...… and smaller))).
> Deus will never see...that the EQX will see/detect
> . --- (((Most predominant/pronounced: Usually non
> -ferrous targets that are larger than .22 Long Rif
> le projectile/bullet))).
>
> The Deus will surprise you. The EQX will surprise
> you.

And why I still have both detectors.
I can definitely relate to what’s said above while using both models.
Doing select digging ID more beneficial using EQx. Especially on sites where one only gets maybe one shot at or has limited time detecting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2020 02:14PM by tnsharpshooter.
January 29, 2020 10:59AM
Very informative post Tom. In a nut shell are you saying ..... that depends? There is a lot that goes into design and intended purpose. There still in no perfect machine for every situation..... thou we do like multi use machines. Tom..... how would the Nox 800 fair against the Deus in that nail bed using a higher single freq? I ask that because this is the reason many buy the 800 over the 600. ML seems to say use multi use all the time.... it just better..... but is it in all given situations like that nail bed?
January 29, 2020 08:29PM
Dew...…… the EQX is a greatly different electronic architect ….. as compared to the Deus. The Deus REALLY capitalizes on its single-freq architect...… especially for iron ID/handling abilities.
The EQX REALLY capitalizes on its simultaneous multi-frequency M-IQ architect ……. in so far as to analyze iron independently.... with each individual frequency...… of its multi-frequency span. Period. Case-closed. --- THEN...… collectively/cumulatively.....adds them all together...…. and analyzes iron...all over again …… but now in a 'collective/cumulative' capacity. Then...……………………. ALL of these single data-points (through a comparator)……. collectively...…… will then make a final solution...… and report it as a audio report. (The VDI ID is -secondarily- slaved to the audio...… to give a numerical display ….so as to parallel the audio).
To use the EQX on 40-Khz single freq option/selection...…. DOES work; yet, kinda poorly...… as compared to 'Multi' option. The Deus is …… by far...… the trump-card in iron...….. if compared to the EQX that is locked into a single-freq. (((In this case: 40-Khz single freq))).

With all of this being said...….. the EQX is a stunning performer in iron...…. considering its large (11") coil. Multi-freqs ….. in the past...… have always been poor performers in iron (((because their electronic architect was much slower..... due to having to process many different frequencies..... slowing it down))). The EQX changed this dilemma...… and has flipped the World up-side-down. (((Yet...… the Deus is still the trump-card in iron..... by a little bit))). If a carpet-of-nails/ iron-targets starts to sparse-out...… by a little bit...…..then...…… the EQX instantly becomes the trump-card. This is a major advantage of the EQX. (((Yet, I hunt carpets of nails most of the time))).

Also...………… I never wanted the EQX to give the ability to 'user-select' a "single" frequency.
January 29, 2020 09:16PM
Hi Tom,
Can you elaborate the added ingredient of medium to high iron minerals in this post?

HH
Mike
January 29, 2020 10:32PM
If multi, is better than single, Why did the DFX neve catch on? I have a very nice one that I am going to try this spring. It hunts in 3k and 15k. one low and one high. Is it everyone just got tired of all the adjustments?
January 29, 2020 11:47PM
Flintstone Wrote:
> If multi, is better than single, Why did the DFX n
> eve catch on? I have a very nice one that I am goi
> ng to try this spring. It hunts in 3k and 15k. one
> low and one high. Is it everyone just got tired of
> all the adjustments?

I believe the DFX never caught on because the DFX never was a deep seeking detector
compare to the Fisher CZ series and the Minelab FBS
series detectors which are both multi- frequency detectors And deep seeking detectors.
January 30, 2020 01:14AM
The DFX still retains some of the 'slow' multi-freq processing. And yes: The DFX (in most cases) …. is not as deep as the CZ platform.

Mike...…. by adding bad minerals (medium-to-heavy)…… does indeed change the equation. In many cases...….. because the Deus is a single-freq unit...…,,,,,,,,...…..,,,,,,,, as bad dirt/mineralization levels increase..... the single-freq unit will stop properly ID'ing targets quicker...… vs a multi-freq unit. In general..... the EQX will 'hold on' to ID's …. to greater depths..... over the single freq units. But...…….... with the Deus...… there is a unique caveat. There is one type of mineralization/dirt..... that the Deus seems to accel/trump over the multi-freq units. I have yet to figure out this physics phenomena; yet, have fully experienced it.
January 30, 2020 01:58AM
I have a site that I crushed multiple, multiple, multiple times like for 3 years with Deus using LF coils.
Using EQX 800 in this site I have never had a signal I located using multi freq that sounded better and or gave better ID using 40 kHz single frequency.
Disclaimer.: I have not hunted and located targets in this site using 40 kHz and then comparing to the multi freq ops.
January 30, 2020 11:13AM
The DFX had its issues......the more battery drain the more depth seemed to disappear. 3khz to me may have been a bit better in the dirt... but EMI really affected it. Now i did like hunting 15khz on the beach. But i think what you said about giving the user to many adjustments was an issue to. it was just never as forgiving or as deep as the MLs especially once after market and the Pro coils came out.

Tom i have to say you are giving us a lot of good information now that the NDA seems to been lifted. We tend to figure things out...... but you input early one sure would have sped up the learning curve...... and im not sure how ML would have suffered once the machine was out.
January 30, 2020 03:24PM
Thanks all for the help on the DFX, I just got a good deal and though I would give it a try. I was thinking the CZ's hunt in 5 and 15 k that the DFX might be good. I have been detecting with a MXT and Deus most of the time. have got a lot of rings and silver. Never got anything over about 10" deep anyway. Will give it a try and let you know how it did.
January 31, 2020 10:12AM
NASA-Tom wrote
> The EQX REALLY capitalizes on its simultaneous mul
> ti-frequency M-IQ architect ……. in so far as to an
> alyze iron independently.... with each individual
> frequency...… of its multi-frequency span. Period.
> Case-closed. --- THEN...… collectively/cumulati
> vely.....adds them all together...…. and analyzes
> iron...all over again …… but now in a 'collective/
> cumulative' capacity. Then...……………………. ALL of thes
> e single data-points (through a comparator)……. col
> lectively...…… will then make a final solution...
> … and report it as a audio report. (The VDI ID is
> -secondarily- slaved to the audio...… to give a nu
> merical display ….so as to parallel the audio).

Tom... just out of curiosity: When using Two Tone or Single Tone on the EQX, how much more or less accurate is the VDI ID seeing that there is less processing of the target into more advanced audio like 5 or 50 Tones when using F2 = 0? If using 1 or 2 Tone, would you recommend digging VDIs of negative 1 just in case the target has not been accurately ID'd?
Next, is 1 and 2 Tone slightly deeper than 5 and 50 tone due to less processing of the audio - similar to true all-metal on other machines?
Thanks

Regards, Mike
January 31, 2020 12:02PM
Anyone using a DFX should read DIGGING DEEPER WITH THE DFX by Jeff Foster. In fact i recommend it for anyone just wanting a good read on what all those settings do since many are done auto on most machines.
January 31, 2020 02:24PM
Mike...….. here's a twist to the equation. Let's say you have a silver coin ….. that is tilted......and has a small piece of trash in (somewhat) close proximity to it. When the EQX is in 50-Tones...…. you will hear a audio 'warble'...… with the high-tone(s) trying to 'stand out' the most. It'll lock up your brakes. The VDI will also be a 'warble' of jumping numbers.(((The VDI is not fibbing; yet, it'll cause you to "talk your way out" of digging...… if you solely make your digging decision from the VDI intel))). --- IF you are in 1 or 2 Tones...…. the EQX will take a 'averaging snapshot'...…. and may not even indicate "silver coin"...…. rather: something lower in conductive ID. 50Tone and 2-Tone and 1-Tone...… are just as fast; yet, …… there's an "averaging" going on..... whilst in 1 or 2-Tone. (You don't want that)!

Depth performance is exactly the same...… regardless of number-of-tones selected (as long as you are not Disc'ing anything out. Apples-to-apples).
January 31, 2020 02:54PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Mike...….. here's a twist to the equation. Let's s
> ay you have a silver coin ….. that is tilted......
> and has a small piece of trash in (somewhat) close
> proximity to it. When the EQX is in 50-Tones...….
> you will hear a audio 'warble'...… with the high-t
> one(s) trying to 'stand out' the most. It'll lock
> up your brakes. The VDI will also be a 'warble' of
> jumping numbers.(((The VDI is not fibbing; yet, it
> 'll cause you to "talk your way out" of digging...
> … if you solely make your digging decision from th
> e VDI intel))). --- IF you are in 1 or 2 Tones...…
> . the EQX will take a 'averaging snapshot'...…. an
> d may not even indicate "silver coin"...…. rather:
> something lower in conductive ID. 50Tone and 2-Ton
> e and 1-Tone...… are just as fast; yet, …… there's
> an "averaging" going on..... whilst in 1 or 2-Tone
> . (You don't want that)!
>
> Depth performance is exactly the same...… regardle
> ss of number-of-tones selected (as long as you are
> not Disc'ing anything out. Apples-to-apples).

Thanks Tom, for clarifying!
February 03, 2020 07:39PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Dew...…… the EQX is a greatly different electronic
> architect ….. as compared to the Deus. The Deus RE
> ALLY capitalizes on its single-freq architect...…
> especially for iron ID/handling abilities.
> The EQX REALLY capitalizes on its simultaneous mul
> ti-frequency M-IQ architect ……. in so far as to an
> alyze iron independently.... with each individual
> frequency...… of its multi-frequency span. Period.
> Case-closed. --- THEN...… collectively/cumulati
> vely.....adds them all together...…. and analyzes
> iron...all over again …… but now in a 'collective/
> cumulative' capacity. Then...……………………. ALL of thes
> e single data-points (through a comparator)……. col
> lectively...…… will then make a final solution...
> … and report it as a audio report. (The VDI ID is
> -secondarily- slaved to the audio...… to give a nu
> merical display ….so as to parallel the audio).
> To use the EQX on 40-Khz single freq option/select
> ion...…. DOES work; yet, kinda poorly...… as compa
> red to 'Multi' option. The Deus is …… by far...… t
> he trump-card in iron...….. if compared to the EQX
> that is locked into a single-freq. (((In this case
> : 40-Khz single freq))).
>
> With all of this being said...….. the EQX is a stu
> nning performer in iron...…. considering its large
> (11") coil. Multi-freqs ….. in the past...… have a
> lways been poor performers in iron (((because thei
> r electronic architect was much slower..... due to
> having to process many different frequencies.....
> slowing it down))). The EQX changed this dilemma..
> .… and has flipped the World up-side-down. (((Yet.
> ..… the Deus is still the trump-card in iron.....
> by a little bit))). If a carpet-of-nails/ iron-tar
> gets starts to sparse-out...… by a little bit...….
> .then...…… the EQX instantly becomes the trump-car
> d. This is a major advantage of the EQX. (((Yet, I
> hunt carpets of nails most of the time))).
>
> Also...………… I never wanted the EQX to give the abi
> lity to 'user-select' a "single" frequency.

Just Curious as I haven't been keeping up on all this, but what about the EQX 11" vs the Deus 11" in iron and in general? Does the Deus still come out on top?
I ask because, well, what would happen if Minelab put out a 9" "Machine Gun" Coil (with an update to match, of ocourse?) spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

EMS
February 03, 2020 08:24PM
Deus with 11" coil is still slightly better in iron.
But...….. EQX does some very unique things...…. 3-dimentionally...… in iron.

Minelab NOT sleeping.
:-)
February 08, 2020 04:53PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> On the EQX...…. the more Iron Bias that is added..
> .….. the more the Deus takes the lead … in carpets
> of nails. NO detector does well in iron. Iron 'lig
> hts-up' about 4X better than non-Fe targets. This
> physics problem is accentuated if you add iron min
> eralization. Electromagnetic energy is SO resonant
> to magnetic materials. Unless you are a iron hunte
> r...…. this is a very crippling/unwanted resultant
> /byproduct.
>
> The Deus/GMP are still the best (to date) at hunti
> ng in carpets of nails. The pinnacle performance
> to be gleaned from the EQX whilst hunting carpets
> of nails...… is with a F2 '0' setting. There is a
> unique caveat here. In a nutshell...… the Deus wil
> l find more.....and smaller...…. non-ferrous targe
> ts...…. in carpets of nails.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,. over
> the EQX. YET...… the EQX will find more slightly l
> arger AND deeper non-ferrous targets...… over the
> Deus. (((Almost sounds like I'm contradicting myse
> lf))). The Deus uses a higher (and single) frequen
> cy...…. allowing it to find smaller targets......a
> nd separate better. The EQX uses multi-freqs….. wh
> ich provides greater depth (in general).,.,.,.,.,.
> ,.,. with the lower frequencies being slightly les
> s resonant to iron.
>
> In many regards...… the EQX is catching up. In som
> e regards...… the EQX surpasses.
>
> EQX will never see....that the Deus can see/detect
> . --- (((Most predominant/pronounced: Usually 40gr
> .22 Long Rifle projectile...… and smaller))).
> Deus will never see...that the EQX will see/detect
> . --- (((Most predominant/pronounced: Usually non
> -ferrous targets that are larger than .22 Long Rif
> le projectile/bullet))).
>
> The Deus will surprise you. The EQX will surprise
> you.

Thanks Tom. I have applied the latest Minelab software update, and invoked the new FE2 upgrade set to 0. I'm finally getting away for a weekend to do some detecting at one of my favorite sites, that while getting stingy, has produced a good amount of early silver, early Spanish and Indian trade relics, and two gold coins (unfortunately neither was found by me). Hopefully the FE2/0 setting will unlock some more keepers from this area. I'll report back next week my results, can't wait to get the EQ800 on some dirt!

HH,
Cal
February 08, 2020 08:04PM
Whilst F2 '0' is invoked...…… there will be a learning-curve. You will see it, feel it, hear it...…… and...…… (probably) nearly immediately like it. It is auto-intuitive. You will unmask better...….. and not know it. (Your pouch will know it).
February 09, 2020 06:57AM
How does these new machines unmask better? Speed? My old F75 can beep faster over targets than I can swing it. If you are hunting trash and moving slow, how does being faster than that help? I can see how a sharper coil pattern with depth could help, but speed moving slow on a machine that can hit multiple targets at a very fast speed don't make sense.
February 09, 2020 09:22AM
kevinnc Wrote:
> How does these new machines unmask better? Speed?
> My old F75 can beep faster over targets than I can
> swing it. If you are hunting trash and moving slow
> , how does being faster than that help? I can see
> how a sharper coil pattern with depth could help,
> but speed moving slow on a machine that can hit mu
> ltiple targets at a very fast speed don't make sen
> se.
Swinging your coil over targets sitting on the surface such as a coin-nail-coin and hearing each target is only half the story.
If you test your F75 on the elevated nail test and swing fast you will see it not all about speed.
February 09, 2020 03:04PM
Kevin...…… it is within the body of the M-IQ technology. Divulging any more would be infringing upon the protection of intellectual property.
The T2/F75 is a tremendously fast platform...… and with extremely enhanced adjacent target separation characteristics to boot. (I have reported on this...… for over a decade). But. Also. Go back to the stock coil...…. and take the EQX into some F75 'completed/finished' sites whilst in F2 '0'. Take your time...…. take it slowly...….. and see if anything happens. You may want to mark some targets...… then test the F75 on them. Then...…. find some targets with the F75...and mark them. Then try the EQX on these marked targets.
Going both directions...… you will find a few surprises.
February 09, 2020 06:39PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Whilst F2 '0' is invoked...…… there will be a lear
> ning-curve. You will see it, feel it, hear it...……
> and...…… (probably) nearly immediately like it. It
> is auto-intuitive. You will unmask better...….. an
> d not know it. (Your pouch will know it).

I got to my site late yesterday after a quite long drive, and started detecting with the FE2/0 setting. I didn't care for it in Park1/2 and switched over to my old faithful Field mode. I noticed it's quite a bit different sounding. I was digging more iron (counter intuitive), there's definitely a learning curve. This particular site is a Spanish site, not a mission site, but related I suppose you could say, and although we've made some good finds there over the years, it's thinned out a lot. There's a fair bit of iron there, lots of those pesky old soldered tin can remains, and lots of low conductors are left.

I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet, I'll post when I get back (I'm technically on a business trip smiling smiley but lest just say a TID of 12, although typically punishing with .22 shells, turned out to be a significant find smiling smiley

I'll do a trip report when I get home in the middle of next week.
February 09, 2020 07:02PM
I'm guessing 1853 Type-1