Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ML Nox coil ears

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
ML Nox coil ears
February 07, 2020 09:40PM
Read this on a FB page that ML now is making the coil ears thicker. This should stop a lot of breakage. Kind of put those ear connectors and attachment one out of business lol.
Re: ML Nox coil ears
February 07, 2020 09:59PM
Thats great they're willing to fix a existing problem.. But it's been like that since the xterra, I had 2 coil ears break on the 705 from the cheap design.
February 07, 2020 10:13PM
I wonder if Fisher will ever correct their ultra-thin and delicate coil ears.
February 07, 2020 10:52PM
I don’t think they took into consideration that people sometimes lean on their coil for balance
February 07, 2020 10:55PM
I wonder how long it will take for dealers to get the new thick-ear coils in? I have a broken ear on mine, so perhaps if I wait a while before trying to get a warranty replacement, I will get a more durable one ?

They should make the ears taller, too, so there is more plastic to flex above the high-stress point where they usually break.

I've also seen some ears crack radially from the hole out to the edge. This is caused by a weakness in the plastic - the hole is moulded-in, so plastic has to flow round both sides of a pin and meet up while still molten. This is not ideal, as the plastic can cool and not merge properly. A better solution is to not mould the holes at all, and drill them out afterwards in a seperate process... ideally ream them too, as a rough hole is a weakness. This would obviously cost more, but ....
February 08, 2020 12:15PM
Im curious if having the HOLE on the lower shaft larger than the bolt and ear holes would allow some movement as well? Ive busted 2...... both replaced in less than a week. I now have one of those printer generated ear protectors on mine.

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 12:17PM by dewcon4414.
February 08, 2020 11:04PM
I have swung 4 different machines with a total of 14 different coils for the last 10 years and have never had a coil ear problem on any of them ever. Is it as Dew said and people use their machines to get back up off the ground? Like a cane? I hate to say it could never happen to me but as of now, I don’t understand WTH is going on.
February 08, 2020 11:33PM
IDXMonster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have swung 4 different machines with a total of
> 14 different coils for the last 10 years and have
> never had a coil ear problem on any of them ever.
> Is it as Dew said and people use their machines to
> get back up off the ground? Like a cane? I hate to
> say it could never happen to me but as of now, I d
> on’t understand WTH is going on.

Have you never been slapped around by waves while detecting? I have had a detector ripped from my grasp only to have the headphone cord keeping it from washing away. I've had a scoop ripped from me and wash up on shore. I've learned to tether. I've learned that beach hunting is physical as hell. And I've learned that detector manufacturers make on the cheap side. And one last thing. Sand is abrasive. It gets in the cracks and wears stuff down. Coil ears naturally wear down from use. One would think Minelab would know that.
February 09, 2020 12:12AM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IDXMonster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have swung 4 different machines with a total o
> f
> > 14 different coils for the last 10 years and hav
> e
> > never had a coil ear problem on any of them ever
> .
> > Is it as Dew said and people use their machines
> to
> > get back up off the ground? Like a cane? I hate
> to
> > say it could never happen to me but as of now, I
> d
> > on’t understand WTH is going on.
>
>
> Have you never been slapped around by waves while
> detecting? I have had a detector ripped from my gr
> asp only to have the headphone cord keeping it fro
> m washing away. I've had a scoop ripped from me an
> d wash up on shore. I've learned to tether. I've l
> earned that beach hunting is physical as hell. And
> I've learned that detector manufacturers make on t
> he cheap side. And one last thing. Sand is abrasiv
> e. It gets in the cracks and wears stuff down. Coi
> l ears naturally wear down from use. One would thi
> nk Minelab would know that.

Ohhhhhhh!! Ok, THAT explains a lot, getting thrown around in the “washing machine”! I can see where that would cause more lateral stress and the sand grinding away at the joint won’t help. I had a different idea of how it was happening....but that makes sense. I haven’t ever hunted in the ocean or in water period, so I’ll keep all this in mind if that happens....
February 09, 2020 05:26AM
Minelab has always had some good electronics, but the hardware sucks. Coil wires falling apart, coils splitting open, and buttons failing. Both my Minelabs now have Nel coils because of the short life of the stock coils.