Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Cal_Cobra MEETS AN INDIAN PRINCESS ON THE SPANISH TRAIL thumbs down

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Cal_Cobra MEETS AN INDIAN PRINCESS ON THE SPANISH TRAIL thumbs down
February 13, 2020 05:41PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your Princess is very modest. She has a Small Head. (That's a Type-2!!!).
> And to think...… your 1865 'S' dime...…. and 1856 'S' Type-2 …. are about the same value/price!!!
>
> Stunning!
> Congrat's!!!

Thank you Tom.

Yes that 1865-S dime is up there, but the 1856-S cleaned up really beautifully, I suspect that if graded, it could be 4x the dime. Doesn't really matter that much to me as I never sell any of my finds, although it's always fun to find something with high numerstic value, and it makes detecting trips easier to sell to the wife for future trip passes thumbs down
February 13, 2020 05:44PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Uhh.... who's this "Tom" fellow you allude
> to a few times in your video & post ? Who suppos
> edly had put a fork in this site long ago ? eye rolling smiley
> Ok, I confess, it's me, haha Yes, as you say yo
> urself, the site was getting stingy as time went o
> n. But for some reason, you seemed to have a fon
> dness for the site. And yes, I will attest that
> you DID often muse that "there must a gold coin ou
> t here somewhere". And that isn't something you
> 'd say about other sites of ours. So it's almost
> as if you did indeed have a premonition. My coin
> s from this site has been a few reales, a seated q
> uarter, a seated dime, etc.....
>
> Congratz on your 2nd gold coin. Most hunters (eve
> n hardcore hunters) are still looking for their fi
> rst. And not only are you on two gold coins, but
> .... now it turns out that both of your gold coins
> are numismatic rarer ones. Be sure to keep us up
> dated after you get this gold coin slabbed. Sinc
> e that one can take wild swings in price value, wi
> th a single grade jump, as you know. Are you als
> o going to get the '65 s dime slabbed too ? Not t
> hat you're planning on selling either of them, but
> .... it will give you some well-deserved room to g
> loat even more smiling smiley
>
> At most of all our sites, we are dead-even now on
> target and coin counts. Except for this one sit
> e. For some reason, it's always liked you better
> . I tip my hat to you ! You worked hard for tha
> t gold coin. Now you just need (ahem) 13 more go
> ld coins and you'll catch up with me (ahem ahem ,
> haha) . You should get another "banner" on T'ne
> t, which will put you at 5 banners now, eh ?
>
> I love the "come to papa" reveal scenes of the vid
> eo. The passion is catching and fun. Hoping t
> hat you'll get a helmet /ball-cap go-pro , so that
> you can do seemless start-to-finish clips.

Thanks Tom, hopefully one of these days I'll get you back out there! Even though it seemed like that place fizzled out for a few trips, the last 3 trips there have been forthcoming with good finds and there has to be more there and in periphery areas we've yet to discover/detect.

Hopefully, some day, I'll catch up to you. Perhaps in one fell swoop with a nice cache ha ha
February 13, 2020 06:33PM
Hi Brian,
Sometimes new or novice folks are looking and salivating over our pictures but don't understand the effort that was put in to find the keepers. On a personal level I was wondering how much flat iron you were having to clear.

HH
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2020 03:49PM by Mike Hillis.
February 14, 2020 12:07AM
Wow. WOW. Great work!
February 14, 2020 12:41AM
Very nice!
February 14, 2020 02:45AM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> .....
> Sometimes new or novice folks are looking and sali
> vating over our pictures but don't understand the
> effort that was put in to find the keepers. .....

Yes, Brian and I have experienced this. Friends "come out of the woodwork" when they see your trophies, eh ? And yes, they're salivating. They want tips, advice, want to know where to go, etc..... And on a few occasions, we relent and bring someone along. But it's as you say: They just don't understand the effort ! And while Brian and I might be tickled pink with suspender clips, pistol balls, etc...., yet to the newbie, they're bored if they're not finding coins hand--over-fist. Like they probably thought it was going to be easy.

A few others do indeed appreciate the research, the hunt, the age-indicators, etc... They don't get bored during the long-work-reconn's, etc.... And they will tend to reciprocate with tit-for-tat on site research.
February 14, 2020 05:18AM
Skipping over signals that might be .22 projectile is certainly understandable. Easy to see where a teensy $1 gold coin could be missed doing that since the IDs are close to the same. But if people had been digging it all in a relicky style site, enough so to write it off...makes ya wonder how 3 silver dimes and an IHP also were overlooked and passed over. Those ID on the other end of the spectrum and should have been easy pickens for a machine with a reputation for being a silver vacuum winking smiley
February 14, 2020 01:10PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> .......makes ya wonder how 3 sil
> ver dimes and an IHP also were overlooked and pass
> ed over. Those ID on the other end of the spectrum
> and should have been easy pickens for a machine wi
> th a reputation for being a silver vacuum winking smiley

Good point. If the small gold coin had been the only coin, then it would be arguable to say that the machine was solely the credit for the ability to eek out more. But since there was also silver dimes and an IH, then .... who's to say ? I do know that when I switched to a Tesoro 2-filter machine on this site, that I noticed that my target count of .22 shells rose up. So, if .22 shells and $1 gold are similar TID, then that would lend merit to the idea that a machine that is better on low conductors will have better odds at eeking out a $1 gold.

Another factor, aside from "ability on lower conductors" is : Iron masking. Ie.: While it's true that you don't need a machine that excels on low conductors, to get silver dimes, yet possibly if the dimes are masked by iron, then Brian's Nox was the key to unlocking them.

Brian: To your recollection, were the dimes and IH difficult signals (ie.: masked) ? Or clear un-obstructed signals ?
February 14, 2020 01:22PM
More musings : Re.: The discussion of machine's ability to have better odds at $1 gold : There are actually times when it's not necessarily a bonus to have a machine that's excelling in endless ability at things like .22 shell small stuff. Yes I know that sounds fool-hearty , that someone would lower-their-odds at a $1 gold, but .... there's lots of situations where the odds simply aren't going to favor "being a hero" like this. Eg.: park demolition sites where ..... sure .... you pass foil and whatever in that range. There simply isn't the time and you can't have the "best of both worlds". Does that mean you'll miss a dainty fine ring ? SURE !

Obviously it paid off for this specific relicky location.
February 14, 2020 02:31PM
Brian - Absolutely Great Finds! I read your post after I got home from a short detecting trip yesterday. After seeing your finds, I went out to my truck to retrieve my finds, a 1944D Wheatie, marble, unmarked gold ring and a 1 cent AZ tax token. Thru them right in the trash.
February 14, 2020 06:59PM
Way to go Cal....awesome!!!

Hunts like this are what I dream of.

Congrats, congrats!!!!

You mentioned a deep squeaker. Out of curiosity, what were your settings?
February 14, 2020 08:33PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Skipping over signals that might be .22 projectile is certainly understandable. Easy to see where a teensy $1 gold coin could be missed doing that since the IDs are close to the same. But if people had been digging it all in a relicky style site, eno
> ugh so to write it off...makes ya wonder how 3 silver dimes and an IHP also were overlooked and passed over. Those ID on the other end of the spectrum and should have been easy pickens for a machine with a reputation for being a silver vacuum winking smiley

Good post Daniel, if we exclude the $1 gold coin which was a TID of 12 for me on the EQ800, which was also the same TID as a myriad of .22 shells I dug, it certainly begs the question of how the Exp2 missed all of these other coins. Now to make it fair, one of the seateds was in an area that I doubt Tom has covered, but the other two and the IHP I know for sure he's been with his "hoover". So there's that, BUT a couple of years ago I was there and dug a spill/cache of 14 seated dimes and seated half dimes, basically in the same area, that I know for sure Tom and I have both covered multiple times. It was the first time I'd taken the Equinox to this site, so I can only surmise that the Equinox is obviously doing something different.

Had it been one or two coins, we could speculate that we just simply missed them, but after the Exp2, Tersoros, F75 LTD1/LTD2, AT Pro, Racer2 and Multi Kruzer detectors covered the same ground, how did all these top of the mark detectors miss, what 17 coins (excluding the $1 gold and the seated dime that was in a periphery area noted above)? Great question, it certainly makes the EQ800 a confidence building detector for me.
February 14, 2020 08:37PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Daniel Tn Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > .......makes ya wonder how 3 sil
> > ver dimes and an IHP also were overlooked and pa
> ss
> > ed over. Those ID on the other end of the spectr
> um
> > and should have been easy pickens for a machine
> wi
> > th a reputation for being a silver vacuum winking smiley
>
>
> Good point. If the small gold coin had been the
> only coin, then it would be arguable to say that t
> he machine was solely the credit for the ability t
> o eek out more. But since there was also silver
> dimes and an IH, then .... who's to say ? I do
> know that when I switched to a Tesoro 2-filter mac
> hine on this site, that I noticed that my target c
> ount of .22 shells rose up. So, if .22 shells an
> d $1 gold are similar TID, then that would lend me
> rit to the idea that a machine that is better on l
> ow conductors will have better odds at eeking out
> a $1 gold.
>
> Another factor, aside from "ability on lower condu
> ctors" is : Iron masking. Ie.: While it's true
> that you don't need a machine that excels on low c
> onductors, to get silver dimes, yet possibly if th
> e dimes are masked by iron, then Brian's Nox was t
> he key to unlocking them.
>
> Brian: To your recollection, were the dimes and IH difficult signals (ie.: masked) ? Or clear un-obstructed signals ?

Okay, one seated dime was in an area you nor I have ever ventured into, one was a deepie whisper of a coin in an area we've both covered multiple times, the 1865 that I got in the video before and after digging you can hear multiple signals (I.E., iron) so you had to do the ML wiggle to get to the sweet spot of the TID/audio, but the gold coin and IHP were nice clean signals. To be honest I was a bit shocked on the IHP as it's near the reale tree and I know full well that every trip there we've gone around that tree as it continues to kick out finds.
February 14, 2020 08:38PM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> Brian - Absolutely Great Finds! I read your post after I got home from a short detecting trip yesterday. After seeing your finds, I went out to my truck to retrieve my finds, a 1944D Wheatie, marble, unmarked gold ring and a 1 cent AZ tax token. Thru them right in the trash.

Thanks Tom thumbs down LOL, well I hope you at least got the gold ring back out of the trash.
February 14, 2020 08:45PM
Happa54 Wrote:
> Way to go Cal....awesome!!!
>
> Hunts like this are what I dream of.
>
> Congrats, congrats!!!!
>
> You mentioned a deep squeaker. Out of curiosity, what were your settings?

Thanks Happa54 thumbs down

I upgraded my EQ800 to with the new ML firmware to use their new FE2 program, set that to zero. I tried park1/2 and really didn't care for the audio, moved back to my Field 2 and liked the audio much better, so I stuck with that. The gain was running @ 24, other than that, stock settings. Ironically after I got that squeaker, I moved my gain to 25 smiling smiley I did notice with 25 a little bit more iron falsing, which I suppose is to be expected.

Now that I'm realizing that there are in fact some deep coins at this site from previous trips and this trip, I feel like this site would benefit from trying Tom and Ditmars new Tarsacci MDT 8000. If it's good in iron and gets better depth than an EQ800, I could see where it might get some deeper, masked fringe targets the other machines are missing.
February 14, 2020 11:29PM
Congrats on the very nice finds. Your off to a very nice start this year smileys with beer
February 15, 2020 12:06AM
What a terrific hunt! Very cool.
Jeff
February 15, 2020 07:01PM
Oregongregg Wrote:
> Congrats on the very nice finds. Your off to a very nice start this year smileys with beer

Hi Gregg!

Not a bad start at all. Last month did some detecting and got a nice seated quarter, so cannot complain considering I don't get to get out too often thumbs down

Hope you're doing well.

GL&HH,
Cal
February 15, 2020 07:02PM
Jeff (or) Wrote:
> What a terrific hunt! Very cool.
> Jeff

Thanks Jeff thumbs down
February 16, 2020 10:33PM
Nice digs Cal.
February 18, 2020 04:03PM
texkinzee Wrote:
> Nice digs Cal.

Thanks Tex thumbs down
February 19, 2020 04:56PM
Brian, would have been nice to have seen your gold coin at the banner on the other forum. Ie.: Your 5th banner. But there's just SO much good stuff that gets floated there, that no particular type item gets an automatic pass. Ie.: there can't be any specific formula (eg.: # of votes, value, scarcity, etc...) that necessarily does it these days. Lest people "game the system" or "demand their banner" , etc.... While I know that sounds arbitrary and whimsical, yet .... so too is a beauty pageant : There's no formula of breast size, hip size, sly smiles from the girls, etc..... It's just a bunch of judges making their arbitrary grades of the different girls parading past them. No mathematical scientific flow-chart formula sad smiley

As you've seen, even some gold coins no longer have made banner there. Even though it used to be assumed that those were "automatics".

The one thing I think would have helped yours, is that your initial post had the grainy "just out of the ground" photo. And for some reason, even your initial 2nd photos ("after rinsing"), weren't much better (at least for the face of the coin). It wasn't till you added better photos a few days later, that the more crisp solo-photos were added. But you know the drill : By then, some people don't click to see revisions.

Another thing that would have helped, is to have made your title to have specifically been "Gold coin !" . With the "lady liberty" (the seateds that accompanied it) to be the minor side story, and not even in the title of the post.

While I know this all seems petty (a gold coin is a gold coin, no matter how you slice it), yet it's come down to minor "window dressing" like that, on what attracts clicks . Oh well, you just have to go find a rare $20 gold now, and THEN you'll get your 5th banner ! smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2020 04:59PM by Tom_in_CA.