Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My Tarsacci MDT 8000 was STOLEN!angry smiley

Posted by ShovelNose 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: My Tarsacci MDT 8000 was STOLEN!angry smiley
February 21, 2020 10:32PM
Ashame a $1500 plus detector isn’t allowed to be password protected.
Whereas if user password isn’t known, a call to manufacturer would be necessary to override password with secret per serial number password. Then you would likely see your rig turn up fast. Dimitar might get a call and bingo!!
Soon as detector is turned on password required in big letters.

White’s actually allowed this with V3i model.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2020 10:35PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 22, 2020 05:11AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Soon as detector is turned on password required in
> big letters.
>
> White’s actually allowed this with V3i model.

No, the password on the White's V3i is to protect changes to the registered owner name/info that appears on boot.
In other words, you only need a password if you want to change that ownership info....but NOT to actually use the detector.

Still might be a good idea, though....phones, computers, and tablets have had passwords for decades.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2020 05:13AM by Mike in CO.
February 22, 2020 06:20AM
Its the best thing with wites v3 and i If it gets stolen anybody tries to flog it they cant get rid of the original owners name and address. Should be on all detectors.
February 22, 2020 11:30AM
Mike in CO Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Soon as detector is turned on password required
> in
> > big letters.
> >
> > White’s actually allowed this with V3i model.
>
> No, the password on the White's V3i is to protect
> changes to the registered owner name/info that app
> ears on boot.
> In other words, you only need a password if you wa
> nt to change that ownership info....but NOT to act
> ually use the detector.
>
> Still might be a good idea, though....phones, comp
> uters, and tablets have had passwords for decades.

My point was password system White’s used could trigger a phone call to them and they could be alerted to a hot detector.
I think the reason manufacturers have stayed away from passwords for detector use is fear of being bothered after the fact with phone calls, etc for folks who lost or forgot their passwords.
Like you said tablets,s etc have had passwords for decades.
If the word on the street was metal detectors have to have password to work, lots of crooks would not even waste their time stealing. Its not like many detectors can be put inna crooks pocket and walk around either without looking them looking odd. Pawn shops likely won’t take in pawn something they can’t access. And when they turn on the detector and it says pass word required they turn to Johnny and ask what’s the password man? Johnny says he don’t know= red flag to pawn shop owner. Yes even allowing owners name to be loaded and come up in screen at turn but with password required would be ideal. Even my side by side has my name pop up in dashboard when I start. This should be elementary for the folks who engineer snd design metered metal detectors.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2020 12:17PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 23, 2020 12:06PM
I see the only benefit to having anything password protected is if it has GPS tracking. Otherwise...... what happens, just like an Iphone if not tracked and they cant get the password..... they throw it away... plain and simple. Still doesnt get the little thief caught..... or you phone back and adds to the cost. I believe the serial no. in the long run will be more likely a catch. Say you buy it in a pawn shop.... most of us figure that it was sold legally....we all want to get as much info as possible.... that could lead to that person wanting to check on the warranty or repairs/parts raising a RED FLAG. If repairs are needed ..... plan and simple ask the guy to return it and the machine can end up back in the owners hands.
February 23, 2020 12:06PM
I see the only benefit to having anything password protected is if it has GPS tracking. Otherwise...... what happens, just like an Iphone if not tracked and they cant get the password..... they throw it away... plain and simple. Still doesnt get the little thief caught..... or you phone back and adds to the cost. I believe the serial no. in the long run will be more likely a catch. Say you buy it in a pawn shop.... most of us figure that it was sold legally....we all want to get as much info as possible.... that could lead to that person wanting to check on the warranty or repairs/parts raising a RED FLAG. If repairs are needed ..... plan and simple ask the guy to return it and the machine can end up back in the owners hands since he did file a police report.
February 23, 2020 12:45PM
That brings up a side topic. Pawn Shops. My mother was owner and manager of one for 15 years and got out of it about 10 years ago due to declining business. In fact, at one point there were no less than 5 pawn shops in the town I live in. Now there are none. The nearest one I know of is in a town 20 miles away. It makes me wonder if internet marketplaces have helped contribute to the demise of pawn shops. Before, you were at the mercy of what the pawn broker would give you for an item...and they would always give you less than what it was worth so that they could turn around and sell it. Now, you can list your items and pretty much sell it quickly and get what you want for it. No middle man.
February 23, 2020 03:31PM
Same in my town. There used to lots of pawnshops. Now there is only one and I don't know how he stays in business. They must cater to the computer illiterate.
February 23, 2020 03:39PM
Having a military background most bases had pawn shops. I think the ability to know what something now is worth, jobs, and on line market places have did them any favor. Changing times.
February 24, 2020 02:36PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Having a military background most bases had pawn s
> hops. I think the ability to know what something
> now is worth, jobs, and on line market places have
> did them any favor. Changing times.

Yeah,
What has changed?
Watches are a dime a dozen even new.
TVs are cheap too new.
Guns are cheaper now too.
Lots of stuff back when cost more.
So today used stuff folks won’t even think about much. Too much of a gamble for what little is saved.
Even metal detectors.
Wally World, Amazon, and Target are part of the cause too.

Example.
I steal a Simplex+.
Take to pawn shop and hock.
What do I get?? Money wise?
And what can it be sold for by the shop if person who pawned doesn’t buy back? Not much.
Go broke quick doing.

Gold scrap is probably where the money is. Gold prices have to be high though. So pawn shops are more or les ps now one trick pony shows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2020 02:39PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 24, 2020 04:10PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Gold scrap is probably where the money is. Gold
> prices have to be high though. So pawn shops are
> more or less ps now one trick pony shows.

Yes, but the internet has given us access to the refineries which is the same place the Pawn shops sell to. I think the refineries are even accepting small amounts these days.
February 24, 2020 08:40PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Ashame a $1500 plus detector isn’t allowed to be
> password protected.
> Whereas if user password isn’t known, a call to ma
> nufacturer would be necessary to override password
> with secret per serial number password. Then you
> would likely see your rig turn up fast. Dimitar m
> ight get a call and bingo!!
> Soon as detector is turned on password required in
> big letters.
>
> White’s actually allowed this with V3i model

Are you Kidding me?
The last thing on this planet I want is a password protected detector.
Just what I need another freaking password to irritate the sh!t out of me.