Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

U-tube MDT and Nox salt water

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
U-tube MDT and Nox salt water
February 29, 2020 09:56AM
I thought this was one of those Videos someone did a few days back worthy of being outside the MDT thread. I no some are going to nit pick it to death...... but i know both of these machines pretty well and i dont think his setting are that far off from what i might run. The Nox at 22 sensitivity and 2 should get very good depth on that beach wet sand in beach 1. I run both my machine just a tad hotter than he did. BUT the results i dont believe would change much. What i do find is .... at about 10 inches or so i can get a nickel with the Nox.... but it normally comes out iron. Id like to have seen the test done in the wash. The MDT doesnt loose a target like the Nox will as the water washes over it. Clearly the MDT has some more depth on that nickel had he gotten the coil down like i run it. So Toms claim of 17 inches .... on a nickel not far fetched considering his skill. NO video will ever be perfect to satisfy eveyone..... but this is a pretty good one IMO.

When we did our 3 gram 10k gold ring test.... the MDT got it at 14" and the Nox at 12" same damp sand conditions it looks like. Sometimes there is a DISADVANTAGE to watching that TID screen...... you find ways to NOT dig targets. I find myself checking more targets with the MDT....... why because i heard the target. I might play with that screen reading.... but the tones on the MDT are pretty loud on even the deepest of targets in AM.......more iffy with the Nox. I most certainly could adjust either machine for for most hunters we aint going to put a target out there each time to adjust our settings to...... wouldnt do us much good anyway. As soon as we moved from that spot.... that could all change. So we make the best adjustments we can based on target comparisons over time and just how hot the situation will allow us to run.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2020 10:38AM by dewcon4414.
Re: U-tube MDT and Nox salt water
February 29, 2020 11:07AM
When you look at the tube of pvc after he pulls it from the sand, 13" is deeeep......17" is mind blowing. Can you dig that deep in collapsing sand?
February 29, 2020 12:02PM
When did Tom claim 17" on a nickel? I don't remember him saying that.

17" is the claim for the Impulse AQ on gold.

13" is the deepest I could get the MDT to go in the wet sand on a medium sized 14k gold ring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2020 12:07PM by Badger in NH.
February 29, 2020 01:01PM
Maybe Tom will come on and clarify it. Im certain that was said ..... it was either in the MDT thread or when discussing the AQ..... these threads are HUGE now. Badger.... your conditions are different than ours here in Fl. There are NO certainties. So... if you have a Nox ... test um. To me its..... will i get a bit more depth between the machines....definitely here it does. I test every machine like you do im sure.... based on how i plan on hunting with it.... basicly as hot as i feel i can that will work on most of the beach. I may have to adjust it a bit..... but im not pushing buttons all day. Its kind of like running GB 0 on the Nox....i may adjust it as i go along if it gets to chatty going from fluffy to hard pan out there. BUT... may basic setting is 0 GB.
February 29, 2020 01:22PM
I would say that the Nox would perform somewhat better if the sweep speed is slowed down especially when being run at 2... and... if you are looking for deep marginal targets. Salt water washing over the coil is a big problem for me if the target is at questionable depth to begin with on wet sand. I find myself waiting for the surf to drop back in order to clarify if it is indeed a target at all. I like the fact that you say the MDT isn't bothered with the washing surf.
February 29, 2020 02:31PM
I agree. Either slow down the sweep or raise the Recovery.

Recovery 3 is as low as I go on my beaches. Sometimes I can't go below 4 or it gets noisy.

I don't think there is any way an Equinox can detect a nickel at 13" in the wet sand on any beach no matter how you set it up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2020 02:34PM by Badger in NH.
February 29, 2020 05:14PM
Every video gets second guessed to pieces. Sweep speed and settings seem the most common area of criticism. Here I wish he showed a clean shot of the Tarsacci settings, I could get all but Sens and GB. He ran through the Nox too fast for me to follow, but I wouldn't use 50 tones and recovery 2 for sure. But like Dew, I don't argue with his findings. I am not hitting a lot of 13 inch nickels with either machine when hunting the beach. In testing I have found the 8000 to hit deeper and harder than the 800.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
February 29, 2020 06:47PM
I agree..... there has been NO video that someone cant complain about. Im OK with that. But i know 12khz likely would have gotten more depth. As far as finding that 13" nickle Tom you got more difficult sand than i do. Well sensitivity was 9.... but i didnt get the GB either, but im not sure its nearly as important as that salt setting which was good for 9khz. Id likely changed the threshold to 0... but thats my hunting. On the Nox.... i might have went with 3 or 4.... but why.... so i could run a higher sensitivity to get more depth and less chatter..... 2 does about the same with it set at 22 with that wet sand.
February 29, 2020 11:19PM
It's hard to see all the Tarsacci MDT 8000 settings due to glare, but I stopped several frames and enlarged them. Here they are:

All M, BlkS off, St 29, Track off, Fc 9k,
TrH -1, Dsc -15, Sens 9, Gb 600, Vol 15.

The hardest to be sure about was Sens, but I'm pretty sure it was 9.
March 01, 2020 02:05AM
Oops! I'm reading things out of order.
(I made my comments on the Tarsacci thread).