Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Stay Safe

Posted by Arkansas 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Stay Safe
March 18, 2020 08:58AM
And getting your advice from the news media is even worse. You should know that by now. Every one of them have their own agenda and panel of experts for every topic, and it always leans in favor of pushing their view and agenda. Kinda like reading a metal detector review done by a magazine or YouTube channel that is sponsored by the company producing the metal detector being reviewed.

I was at my doctor yesterday 3-17-20 for my yearly checkup. I of course, asked his opinion on the matter, since it is the hot topic in every conversation, and he without any ties to political or news media outlets. He said in his honest opinion, it is being blown way out of proportion. He said there IS a *higher* risk of death for elderly and people with preexisting health conditions, be he also said that those are true with any sickness, accident, etc. He told me the number of current deaths world wide being associated with COV19 (I forgot the exact number) but something like 6,000, and then he said "Do you know what the the 3rd largest leading cause of death is in the US? An average of 250,000 people die from it in the US each year...". I said I didn't have a clue, but guessed cancer or heart disease. He said "from medical malpractice and misdiagnosis". He then said "And there's no panic of people not wanting to go to the hospital or doctors office when they are sick". He said heart disease and complications from being obese were #1, but "that sure don't encourage people to stop doing their current eating and exercise habits and to do a healthier approach". Then he told me while he was on the subject that I was overweight lol
March 18, 2020 10:40AM
I had a six month Dr checkup on Mon., my self and my Dr told me pretty much the same thing as did Daniel's Dr. He said that's not to say you throw all caution to the wind and carry on your life as usual, (I am one of the older ones they reference), but he says it has been blown out of proportion.

Actually, there really is no way I can throw all caution to the wind, anyway. Our gym and library have closed, our grocery store runs out of food by mid morning, and most social and club meetings have ceased to exist. My wife and I were already avoiding crowds, but we do miss the gym. But an extra hour or so of detecting daily helps a little. Stay safe everyone. HH jim tn
March 19, 2020 03:54AM
Albuquerque population is around 900,000 people. COVID-19 is highly communicable with about a 1% mortality rate = 9,000. Ok...not that big of a number as compared to some "yearly and seasonal" numbers being passed around....only this isn't a yearly number......this is about how many people would die in about a 90 day period if the virus swept unchecked through the community. This is how many people would be flooding the ICU's of the area hospitals and I know for a fact Albuquerque area hospitals couldn't treat/care for anywhere near that number of the seriously ill. And this is just the statistical mortality number. Lets be very conservative and add another 1% of the population that would be seriously ill from it but would recover if they got proper treatment/care. That is another 9,000 people needing the same care that the statistical mortality group needs. Now I have 18,000 people needing ICU type of care, all inside a 90 day window.

In my opinion this is deadly serious. I fully expect to see enforced compliance at some point until we get a handle on it just because so many people cannot grasp the seriousness of the situation.

HH
Mike
March 19, 2020 07:38AM
Some number comparisons arent equal. Yearly, seasonal, monthly, USA versus worldwide, ect...If warnings arent heeded things could get from bad to out of control, very fast. Kinda of a bad comparison, but reminds me of debt and compounding interest....the numbers can rise quickly. Now retail stores are in a "stock-war" and prices are rising fast. Friends, be careful and stay safe.
March 19, 2020 11:54AM
Stay out of bars and restaurants.

People in close proximity. Contaminants in the air. Contaminated surfaces. Food and drink being passed around. It's a bad combination.
March 19, 2020 01:49PM
Arkansas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some number comparisons arent equal. Yearly, seaso
> nal, monthly, USA versus worldwide, ect...If warni
> ngs arent heeded things could get from bad to out
> of control, very fast. Kinda of a bad comparison,
> but reminds me of debt and compounding interest......

This.^^^
Viruses sweep thru in waves which roughly translate to once a year. Maybe a smaller wave in the fall. The majority of deaths will come in a short period of time.
Lies, damned lies, and statistics. (Samuel Clemens?)
March 19, 2020 06:15PM
Now that China has shared the bubonic plague of the 21st century with the world, I wonder what the fallout against them will be from the world once this is past us? Severed business relations? Crackdown on food practices? Nothing?

Their not the only ones to create such issues, but COVID-19's a whopper:

COVID-19 emerged in Wuhan, China, and is believed to be connected to a live animal and seafood market, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

SARS or Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome is also caused by a coronavirus and first infected people in southern China in 2002, according the World Health Organization. The virus spread to 26 countries and led to more than 8,000 cases in 2003, according to the WHO.

The novel influenza A (H1N1) virus or swine flu originated in spring 2009 in the U.S. before spreading across the world, according to the CDC. The swine flu contained influenza genes that weren’t identified in animals or people before, the CDC said.

Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) is also caused by a coronavirus and leads to respiratory illness, according to the CDC. The disease was first reported in September 2012 in Saudi Arabia, the CDC said.

Clearly these kind of issues are not going to end anytime soon, and in all likely hood could probably be started by any country.
March 19, 2020 06:26PM
The hand slapping going on is because the Chinese Communist Party knew about the virus...(their own doctors warned them)...and kept it under wraps for 20 days.
March 19, 2020 06:52PM
Many of you have already had a corona virus. There are already four variants endemic in the United States that cause around 1/4 of the colds we catch every year. It’s likely many people who think they have had the flu have instead had a corona virus. Like this latest version they can cause pneumonia and then death. So no, this is not some brand new never been seen before thing like it’s being made out to be. It’s just the latest and will likely be with us from now on.

[www.statnews.com]
March 19, 2020 08:18PM
There are a total of seven corona viruses that can infect humans, the CDC says. Other well-known corona viruses include SARS and MERS.

The new virus causes a disease called COVID-19, which stands for coronavirus disease 2019, the year it was discovered.
March 20, 2020 03:20PM
I'm more afraid of the DimoRats than the virus.
March 21, 2020 01:21AM
Saw an interesting bit on the tracking of high fevers based on Smart Thermometers.. Basically they collect all of the temperature readings from all those that go to the hospital, they remove everyone that has the flu from the sample set, and from there they track fevers on a map of the U.S. It' accurately depicts N.Y. and what's going on there with COVID-19. California sees to be excluded (privacy laws most likely), but in the last week Florida lit up like a Christmas tree.

Florida may be in for a rough time with their lackadaisical handling of this issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2020 05:02AM by Cal_cobra.
March 21, 2020 04:53AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> There is a possibility I, my wife and mother in la
> w (age 87) have already had and survived the coron
> a virus.
> The story.
>
> On around 24 Dec 2019, the wife's cousin and her h
> usband got back in the area from a 8 day cruise.
> They passed through Atlanta airport, Ft Lauderdale
> airports, was on the boat, and even stepped into M
> exico for short period.
>
> I or the wife or my mother in not ill at the time.
> On 26 Dec 2019 wife's cousin along with her husban
> d stooped by our house. I WS not at home when the
> y arrived. They were inside the whole time with t
> he wife and her mother. I came home and saw they
> were visiting. I never went into house e while th
> ey were visiting. Wife's cousins husband came out
> of house and onto the porch and I talked to him.
> They left eventually.
>
> On about 2 or3 Jan 2020 wife develops illness. He
> r condition worsened. I took her to emergency roo
> m. Doctor tested her for flu and pneumonia. She
> had taking shots for both recently. They said she
> had viral infection.
> Her temp stayed around 101 and did go to 102 as I
> monitored at home. Remember corona virus at this
> time not being talked about much even if al all.
> And it wasn't named until 7 Jan 2020.
> Wife had doctor appt for Vanderbuilt university me
> dical center for her chronic disease cirrhosis Of
> liver. I had to cancel her appt due to her condit
> ion. Took wife to her local primary care MD 4 day
> s after her emergency room visit. Doctor stated i
> f her condition didn't improve in 2 days he would
> hospitalize here. Turns out her fever broke soon
> after her visit and she recovered fully.
>
> Around 10 Jan I started getting sore throat. Then
> had massive congestion in chest. Run mild fever f
> or few days. Total time to recover seemed to be a
> round 8-9 days. I too had flu shot and pneumonia
> shot. I didn't go to doctor and my exposure to an
> yone outide of house very limted. Took one trip t
> o town to grocery shop.
>
> Next up mother in law became ill. Her symptoms lo
> t like mine and wife's. Her fever did go to 102 f
> or short period then her fever broke. She felt as
> I did. With some materials being coughed up.
>
> All 3 of us never had any body aches. Never lost o
> ur appetites, no vomiting, no diarrhea.
> Listening to folks who have tested positive and re
> covered sounds lot like when they describe what we
> had symptom wise.
>
> I hope I have had the disease. Maybe I won't get
> as a result.
>
> I can say with 100 percent certainty. Whatever I
> had I never had before ever. Like someone standin
> g on top of my chest.

That's Just scary as hell.
Glad everyone's OK
March 22, 2020 12:24AM
For the naysayers comparing this to the flu, this is well worth a read:

The Doctor Who Helped Defeat Smallpox Explains What's Coming
Epidemiologist Larry Brilliant, who warned of pandemic in 2006, says we can beat the novel coronavirus—but first, we need lots more testing.

[www.wired.com]
March 22, 2020 01:23AM
Cal, I read that just before you posted it.

If anyone wants to live in “cloud cuckoo land” they are welcome to - but if they want to live in the real world, the article you posted a link to is a good start.

Of course, if you think it’s all media hype, or just the flu, or that turpentine will protect you - may theLord protect you.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
March 22, 2020 01:54AM
Their is a balance between being careless and full blown hysteria. Regardless of what you believe we all need the Lords help. As far as home-remedies......my wife suffers from migraines.....she has tried every legal medicine known, with very little relief and added side affects. We found a home remedy that actually works, is natural and can be bought over the counter. I wont bore you all with the details. Stay safe.
March 22, 2020 02:01AM
Arkansas Wrote:
> Their is a balance between being careless and full
> blown hysteria. Regardless of what you believe we
> all need the Lords help. As far as home-remedies..
> ....my wife suffers from migraines.....she has tri
> ed every legal medicine known, with very little re
> lief and added side affects. We found a home remed
> y that actually works, is natural and can be bough
> t over the counter. I wont bore you all with the d
> etails. Stay safe.

Glad you found a remedy. Migraines are brutal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2020 02:04AM by Maximus.
March 22, 2020 07:19AM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Cal, I read that just before you posted it.
>
> If anyone wants to live in “cloud cuckoo land” they are welcome to - but if they want to live in the real world, the article you posted a link to is a good start.
> Of course, if you think it’s all media hype, or just the flu, or that turpentine will protect you - may theLord protect you.

For those that need pretty pictures, this sums it up pretty well:

March 22, 2020 04:04PM
""Now that China has shared the bubonic plague of the 21st century with the world, I wonder what the fallout against them will be from the world once this is past us? Severed business relations? Crackdown on food practices? Nothing?""

I suspect that the USofA is learning that there are somethings you want to make sure you can produce at home.

HH
ike
March 22, 2020 06:47PM
This globalization or capitalist expansion may not be all that it's cracked up to be. When I was growing up like many of you, everything was manufactured here in the U.S., Ma didn't have to work outside the home. We survived on my dad's pay of less than $5 an hour....and we didn't want for anything. Big difference now that other countries (China) make everything for us. If the playing field was even, we wouldn't need to have mfg elsewhere. Who knows.....speculating is easy and a crap shoot. Stay safe.
March 23, 2020 09:10AM
ozzie Wrote:
> This globalization or capitalist expansion may not
> be all that it's cracked up to be. When I was grow
> ing up like many of you, everything was manufactur
> ed here in the U.S., Ma didn't have to work outsid
> e the home. We survived on my dad's pay of less th
> an $5 an hour....and we didn't want for anything.
> Big difference now that other countries (China) ma
> ke everything for us. If the playing field was eve
> n, we wouldn't need to have mfg elsewhere. Who kno
> ws.....speculating is easy and a crap shoot. Stay
> safe.

Cheap labor is definitely one of reasons manufacturing went to China. But there are also other related costs involved. Envirnmental restrictions for one. We here in the US have decided that pollution involved with manufacturing needed to be addressed. China has very lax laws on the issue. Myself being a liberal I say the planet comes first. Workmens comp laws, insuring workers are two very big issues that drove jobs away. Corporate profits, or as they like to say.....looking out for share holders. Currency manipulation by China, tax laws are others.

Even the access to raw materials is a big one. China will destroy the environment mining for circuit board materials. They will sacrifice the environment and the health of their people for the manufacturing of raw materials for drugs and cosmetics.

Many of the raw materials i work with come from China. Other places like india as well.

Any change will take years. And to be honest some raw materials just are not available in the US.
March 23, 2020 01:58PM
A simple way to help the lay person to determine an early warning sign of Cov19: Reports from Drs. around the world are reporting that 2 of the earliest signs of infection are: loss of smell and taste.Approximately 30% of carriers will suffer this easy to understand malady.
March 23, 2020 04:05PM
My girlfriend says I haven't lost my smell and I still taste the same.
March 23, 2020 04:47PM
Doc, good catch - here’s a NYT article about it

[www.nytimes.com]

And for those who think journalism is evil, here’s a couple of medical references

[www.entuk.org]

[www.entnet.org]

I just cleaned out a blocked drain, so I guess the fact that I almost gagged is a good sign!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2020 05:17PM by lytle78.
March 23, 2020 05:52PM
And there are those who report No Smell when they take a dump. Hmmmmm.
March 23, 2020 07:35PM
After watching Florida allowing all the spring breakers on their beaches by the thousands, and now this video from their local government, I can't help but think Florida is screwed:

[www.youtube.com]

We need more people running our government like Commissioner Hardy that actually give a sh!t about people versus government that only caters to all mighty dollar. Very sad state of affairs, and the greed at play at the moment is mind boggling.
March 25, 2020 03:56AM
Two trillion dollars. Big number here.
Wonder if we layed 2 trillion one dollar bills end to end long ways, how far would they stretch In miles.???
Well if my math is correct.
Let's see. Presuming a dollar bill is 6" long.
2 trillion times 6 inches = 12 trillion inches.
12 trillion inches divided by 12 = 1 trillion feet.
1 trillion ft divided by 5280 ft = 189 million 393 thousand 939.394 miles. (189,393,939.394) miles.
Depending on time of year and where we started , be roughly really enough to lay end to end from the earth to the sun and back.

[www.ehd.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2020 04:09AM by tnsharpshooter.
March 25, 2020 11:36AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Two trillion dollars. Big number here.
> Wonder if we layed 2 trillion one dollar bills end
> to end long ways, how far would they stretch In m
> iles.???
> Well if my math is correct.
> Let's see. Presuming a dollar bill is 6" long.
> 2 trillion times 6 inches = 12 trillion inches.
> 12 trillion inches divided by 12 = 1 trillion fe
> et.
> 1 trillion ft divided by 5280 ft = 189 million 3
> 93 thousand 939.394 miles. (189,393,939.394) miles
> .
> Depending on time of year and where we started , b
> e roughly really enough to lay end to end from th
> e earth to the sun and back.
>
> [www.ehd.org]
> s.php

Love it! So, Tnss, if your calculations are correct. That distance is as far as light will travel in a vacuum for roughly 17 minutes. lol
March 25, 2020 12:24PM
ozzie Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Two trillion dollars. Big number here.
> > Wonder if we layed 2 trillion one dollar bills e
> nd
> > to end long ways, how far would they stretch In
> m
> > iles.???
> > Well if my math is correct.
> > Let's see. Presuming a dollar bill is 6" long.
> > 2 trillion times 6 inches = 12 trillion inches.
> > 12 trillion inches divided by 12 = 1 trillion
> fe
> > et.
> > 1 trillion ft divided by 5280 ft = 189 million
> 3
> > 93 thousand 939.394 miles. (189,393,939.394) mil
> es
> > .
> > Depending on time of year and where we started ,
> b
> > e roughly really enough to lay end to end from
> th
> > e earth to the sun and back.
> >
> > [www.ehd.org]
> er
> > s.php
>
> Love it! So, Tnss, if your calculations are correc
> t. That distance is as far as light will travel in
> a vacuum for roughly 17 minutes. lol

Average distance to sun from earth is 499 light second. So include a return trip 998 light second approximately.
March 25, 2020 12:43PM
Been thinking lately. Wonder if putting something in microwave that's packing corona virus, would it kill it? If so.
I wonder, we notice all this talk about mask shortages. So do these masks contain metal? If so be bad to microwave. So maybe the mask should be intentionally built using no metal. So microwave could be used to sterilize masks and even gloves. Especially is they are short in supply.
Folks at home could microwave their gloves, etc too,
Just place a half cup water in their along with your PPE.
Any docs on here care to weigh in here??