Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Darwin Award - Covid Version - don’t do this

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Darwin Award - Covid Version - don’t do this
March 27, 2020 03:10AM
Geotech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nixon opened cultural relations. Reagan's deregula
> tions and supply-side economics are what spurred c
> ompanies to off-shore everything they could. Inste
> ad of trickle-down, we got deluge-up; the money fl
> owed to the top. In a nutshell, that's why we are
> where we are.

Nixon and Reagan. It started under someone's watch. Really no President (Republican or Democrat) has made an effort to slow the bleeding. Trump is the most independent of them all.....both parties are afraid that he will reveal each sides buried skeletons.
March 27, 2020 03:37AM
“ Southern border- yeah Corona could have come through there last summer and we would be now!! ”

Corona continues to come through the southern border.

The beer!!!

There was no Corona virus (Covid 19) last summer in humans.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
March 27, 2020 03:45AM
goodmore Wrote:
> Demanding where things are made is not capitalism.

No, but allowing Big Business to write both the tax laws and the trade agreements has not worked out too well. It's time for both to return focus to middle America.

> But for the most part corporate profits is the name of the game. Shareholder interest is the goal.

Before Reagan, companies were more focused on employees than shareholders. Reaganomics weakened organized labor, eliminated regulations, and massively shifted the balance of power to the wealthy. Ferinstance, before Reagan stock buy-backs were considered a form of stock price manipulation and heavily regulated. Now the middle class gets to bail out a bunch of companies because of this.

Reaganomics was a false narrative: A rising tide lifts all boats. I swallowed it whole; unions were evil, regulations throttled companies, and lower tax rates would pay for themselves. Voted for Reagan twice and also HW. It took Perot to convince me that none of it was true. And then Clinton proved it by raising taxes and creating a budget surplus along with a booming economy. Trump comes in with the economy doing well and implements even more tax cuts, and wants more deregulation. Sorry, it's more of the same false narrative. It's designed to enrich the rich and empower the powerful. Don't think for a moment it's for the good of the middle class.

In the Democratic primaries I was rooting for Elizabeth Warren the whole way. Besides being incredibly smart and a policy wonk, she is feared above all other candidates by Wall Street. That's the kind of person we need.
March 27, 2020 04:02AM
Arkansas Wrote:
> Really no President (Republican or Democrat) has made an effort to slow the bleeding. Trump is the
> most independent of them all.

I'm no fan of Trump, but going after China is one of the few things he's done that I agree with. Not just with outsourcing, but also IP theft. The way he's done it, though, has been poorly thought out. All those tariffs placed on Chinese goods are paid by... consumers. Which is largely the middle class. So, again, the middle class gets the shaft.
March 27, 2020 01:46PM
.Lizzie and her green policies would be the first to outlaw MDing--Mother Earth is sensitive to gouging.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2020 01:51PM by doc holiday.
March 27, 2020 04:36PM
doc holiday Wrote:
> .Lizzie and her green policies would be the first to outlaw MDing--Mother Earth is sensitive to gouging.

Yep, and Obama was gonna take away all our guns.
March 27, 2020 06:10PM
Geotech Wrote:
> Yep, and Obama was gonna take away all our guns.

If the left could, they'd do it in a NY second. . . So, they are settling to do it slowly and sneakily. Wish it weren't so.
March 27, 2020 07:36PM
Elizabeth Warren was a joke of a candidate for Pres.
Why?
She violated lesson given in politics 101.
She pandered.
And she admitted basically her parents fooled her into thinking she was part Indian. Trump named her appropriately and what did Pocahontas do? Go get a DNA test to try and prove Trump wrong and herself right. Total Dingaling.

Hillary too with that Hee Haw accent talking to South Carokina folks when she ran.
Kerry was too with that stupid duck hunt wearing camouflage.

Did you ever see Trump slip into one of those plaid shirts and hit the cornfield and talk to farmers? Nope
Did you see Trump try and pretend to play a sport of hobby besides what he likes to do- play golf? Nope

Even GW Bush pandered buying that ranch trying to fool folks and using a chainsaw with camera rolling. He bought the ranch just for a con job for his campaign.
Even Sen Harris pandered. Another dummy when it comes to politics.

Yeah panderers make bad candidates and bad Presidents.

Cheers.

PS
My definition of a panderer when it comes to politics - is someone who will say or do anything to get elected. This is actually a dangerous quality for a sitting Pres to possess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2020 07:41PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 27, 2020 08:13PM
ozzie Wrote:
> Geotech Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Yep, and Obama was gonna take away all our guns.
>
>
> If the left could, they'd do it in a NY second. .
> . So, they are settling to do it slowly and sneak
> ily. Wish it weren't so.

Obama is no Saint. For example, he received the most kickback money from drug companies than any previous President. Another example, in 2016, one year prior to leaving office, 400 million in purchased foreign money was flown on a jet to Iran with both hostage exchange the same exact day (5 US citizens / 7 Iranians)......all didnt come to light until 7 months later and said to be part of a 1.7 billion dollar payback (interest included). Smells fishy. I didnt know we were on such good terms with Iran. Don't get me wrong.....he pushed his agendas and got things done.....sneakily. Trump just does stuff out in the open and then tweets about it.
March 27, 2020 09:33PM
The money that Obama returned to Iran was their money. It was given to the US for arms that were never delivered because the Shaw was overthrown and American hostages were taken. An international arbitration case was set up at the Hauge and the US was about to be found in default when the Obama admin. decided to just pay the money and get hostages in return. This was all in the background for the eventual nuclear deal with Iran. When you think about it a couple billion now is nothing. What was the cost of the Iraq war?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2020 09:42PM by goodmore.
March 27, 2020 09:45PM
Geotech Wrote:
> Arkansas Wrote:
> -----
> > What year did the shift go to China made product
> s?
>
> It accelerated around 2000, but was initiated by R
> eagan.

I think it's fair to say that a lot of the issues regarding "outsourcing" to China happened in 1998, when we gave China "most favored nation" trading status...which I believe then came to be called "Permanent Normalized Trade Relations" in 2000...

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2020 09:47PM by steveg.
March 27, 2020 09:57PM
steveg Wrote:
> I think it's fair to say that a lot of the issues regarding "outsourcing" to China happened in 1998,
> when we gave China "most favored nation" trading status...which I believe then came to be called
> "Permanent Normalized Trade Relations" in 2000...

Yes, that accelerated the process. It was initiated by Reagan's supply-side economics.
March 27, 2020 10:06PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Elizabeth Warren was a joke of a candidate for Pres.
> Why?
> She violated lesson given in politics 101.
> She pandered.

Yup, I agree. She tried to out-Bernie Bernie on healthcare, then couldn't say how she'd pay for it. I think that mistake probably cost her the nomination. She is, otherwise, smart, tenacious, and well-respected in Congress. She's not nearly as liberal as she would like you to think, that's part of the "pander to the left" dance that Dems tend to do in primaries. Same thing Republicans tend to do, but in the other direction.

> My definition of a panderer when it comes to politics - is someone who will say or do anything to get elected.
> This is actually a dangerous quality for a sitting Pres to possess.

Well, Trump certainly has that quality, maybe more than most.
March 27, 2020 10:17PM
steveg Wrote:
> Geotech Wrote:
> -----
> > Arkansas Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > What year did the shift go to China made produ
> ct
> > s?
> >
> > It accelerated around 2000, but was initiated by
> R
> > eagan.
>
> I think it's fair to say that a lot of the issues
> regarding "outsourcing" to China happened in 1998,
> when we gave China "most favored nation" trading s
> tatus...which I believe then came to be called "Pe
> rmanent Normalized Trade Relations" in 2000...
>
> Steve

Bill Clinton was President in 1998 and 2000. Both parties are guilty of China trading. The chain unbroken. This is how we got in this condition.
March 27, 2020 11:03PM
It isnt just a case of lower wages in China. There are many variables. Some of the raw materials for medicines and circuit boards are only available there. The option or buying only American seems impossible.
March 28, 2020 12:41AM
True. I know it is more complicated problem. It took years to sell out to China and it will take years to reverse. The USA doesnt have all 100% resources it needs....we live in an electronic world. Regardless of the variables the root is always money.
March 28, 2020 12:58AM
Not very relevant but over the years of working in the manufacturing world one thing stands out. The cost of shipping. Is it worth it. Take for instance an iphone for a thousand bucks. Small. Not much weight... huge profit even with shipping. Now take a bottle of Tide laundry detergent for 7 bucks. Big...heavy and just cant cover the cost of shipping. Things like that will alway be made here. Not rocket science. But it shows very easily the thought pattern of business execs. Profit..profit...profit. National security? Patriotism? Not so much. Then we as American consumers were taxed extra in the name of tarriffs on top of it. And people still bought the goods. Hey i admitt it. That carbon fiber bike frame? I skipped a detector for that.

Is China the evil empire or is American capitalism just screwed up?
March 28, 2020 02:14AM
goodmore Wrote:
> Not very relevant but over the years of working in the manufacturing world one thing stands out. The
> cost of shipping. Is it worth it.

A while back I went shopping for some free weights, to keep in shape. Everything I found was from China. If it's cheaper to manufacture and ship steel weights from China then there is nothing that is too expensive to ship.

> Is China the evil empire or is American capitalism just screwed up?

Oh it's us, no doubt about it. China is simply being opportunistic, smartly taking advantage of a nation of gullibillies.
March 28, 2020 03:30AM
Yo Pelosi and Mitch,
Anybody home upstairs??
You both along with your minority leaders need to get into the 21st century.
Pony express days are over with!

What I am talking about?
Hard to believe the Senate and House have no plan to execute their duty of actual voting for laws/bills, etc without doing it in person for special cases.
Like how about telephone call with assigned password to verify one's identity for securing their vote. Put the member's voice on speaker phone and let them vote after giving proper password and their voice is recognized as being the correct person.
A Senator or Representative who is of sound mind yet they are hospitalized should be able to vote if they can talk.
Think we saw this with McCain once if I remember correctly. He didn't vote.

Imagine if Corona had a 30-50 percent mortality rate.
Or we were at war and it was not smart for congress folks to travel.
Or for whatever reason air traffic suspended for some reason. Even a snafu with computers could cause.

So no emergency plan (method) for them to vote.
I don't agree with a verbal yeah vote.
I want each persons' vote recorded. It is their duty.

Get with the plan Mitch and Nancy.

We had 9/11 and now Corona.
When will they learn.
Shameful really.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2020 03:37AM by tnsharpshooter.
March 28, 2020 08:33AM
Geotech Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> -----
> > Elizabeth Warren was a joke of a candidate for P
> res.
> > Why?
> > She violated lesson given in politics 101.
> > She pandered.
>
> Yup, I agree. She tried to out-Bernie Bernie on he
> althcare, then couldn't say how she'd pay for it.
> I think that mistake probably cost her the nominat
> ion. She is, otherwise, smart, tenacious, and well
> -respected in Congress. She's not nearly as libera
> l as she would like you to think, that's part of t
> he "pander to the left" dance that Dems tend to do
> in primaries. Same thing Republicans tend to do, b
> ut in the other direction.
>
> > My definition of a panderer when it comes to pol
> itics - is someone who will say or do anything to
> get elected.
> > This is actually a dangerous quality for a sitti
> ng Pres to possess.
>
> Well, Trump certainly has that quality, maybe more
> than most.

Warren's message should have been aimed at moderate voters, her mistake. Closer to home, Trump's treatment of Dem Governors is awful. I didn't vote for Whitmer, however, I will certainly remember how he is treating her, hence the people of my state when it comes time to vote.
March 28, 2020 11:43AM
Marco Rubio put out a stunning speech about China trade-war. Anybody watch it? It's the most profound speech that I have seen/heard/witnessed..... in 25-years.
March 28, 2020 12:48PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Marco Rubio put out a stunning speech about China
> trade-war. Anybody watch it? It's the most profoun
> d speech that I have seen/heard/witnessed..... in
> 25-years.

I like Marco. IMO he has become a very astute student of Trump. His political future is very bright and will be President one day. Only thing we'll have to watch, is what happens to Pence and how does a woman candidate play here. I still say we will have a woman VP before we have woman president. Could be Rubio and a female running mate that makes this happen? Trump will actually pick the next nominee ( his endorsement vital) for Republican Party candidate in 2024. Trump ties to Florida will become even greater once he leaves office. So he and Rubio will become closer knitted. Marco is very good speaker too. Takes little effort from him seems to be able to do. Worthy quality.
March 28, 2020 01:19PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Marco Rubio put out a stunning speech about China
> trade-war. Anybody watch it? It's the most profoun
> d speech that I have seen/heard/witnessed..... in
> 25-years.

That speech, even though we know in our hearts is what's happening, was the scariest one I have ever listened to. The last part 22. to the end drove it home. Don't just go to that point, listen to the whole speech. I believe this link is the speech NASA Tom is referring to....if not, Tom please post the link. This link/speech is from 2018 I believe and makes it more frightening, good grief man.

Please share this speech to America.

[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2020 02:55PM by ozzie.
March 28, 2020 01:51PM
My favorite US China deal was when Slick Willie allowed Bernard Schwartz,ceo of Loral Space and Comm.,in return for a political donation,to sell to the ChiComs the guidance system for missiles that kicked off their space and intercontinental missile program.This was a real BOOM for the middle class.
Can't Get Rubio's Speech Off My Mind
March 28, 2020 01:54PM
Wondering why this speech has not been broadcast to everyone on the planet. I'm also wondering if the US Govt is going to undo the mess they got us in. Greed of these big companies will do us in and the Chinese are following a specific plan to do just that. Where to start to save the whole world from Chinese dictatorship and domination? That speech was from 2018 I believe....no virus yet. How does the Chinese virus play in? Hmm.
Re: Can't Get Rubio's Speech Off My Mind
March 28, 2020 02:35PM
The only things Donnie ever said about Rubio is he sweats alot and he has small hands.

There is plenty going to happen on the national political stage until November. Like always it will come down to a few states. States like Michigan are certainly not happy with Donnie right now. And PA is Joe's home state. Also the availability and ease of voting will be huge. Less voting is good for Donnie. The vice presidential candidate choice will be huge. My opinion.....a black woman. Women and minorities with one person. One thing for sure...the Republicans are all in with Donnie. If he loses they will drop him and bury him and his memory.
March 28, 2020 02:55PM
INTERESTING DATA: Just in case you don't have anything special to keep you awake at night, try this on for size:

At about the time our original 13 states adopted their new constitution in 1787, Alexander Tyler - a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh - had this to say about "The Fall of the Athenian Republic" some 2,000 years prior: THE FALL OF THE ATHENIAN REPUBLIC... "A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse over loose fiscal policy, (which is) always followed by a dictatorship." "The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance, From abundance to complacency; From complacency to apathy, From apathy to dependence, From dependence back into bondage."
March 28, 2020 03:26PM
That is why our founding fathers gave us a Republic,but "one man one vote" sounds soooo good.
March 28, 2020 03:35PM
tabman Wrote:
> A couple of aspirin can do some good, but a whole
> bottle can kill you. If you voted for Obama TWICE,
> voted for Crooked Hillary, even considered Sociali
> st Bernie and think that Sleepy Joe would make a g
> reat president, you're likely dumber than a rock a
> nd twice as stupid. President Trump isn't conserva
> tive enough for my liking, but he's a hell of a lo
> t better than what the Dems are offering up.
>
> tabman

xs10 on that one Tabman!
March 28, 2020 03:40PM
jak135 Wrote:
> INTERESTING DATA: Just in case you don't have anyt
> hing special to keep you awake at night, try this
> on for size:

That was interesting Jak135, thanks.