Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Got curious and ran YouTube subscribers for detector manufacturers channels

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Got curious and ran YouTube subscribers for detector manufacturers channels
April 01, 2020 01:10AM
Could anything sales wise be derived from these numbers? I can't say.

Garrett -------- 58.5k subscribers
Minelab --------22.7k subscribers
XP ----------- ---15.5k subscribers
White's -------- 11k subscribers
Nokta-Makro -- 4.59k subscribers
Fisher ----------- 3.34k subscribers
Technetics ----- 2.83k subscribers
C-scope---------- 794 subscribers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2020 01:16AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Got curious and ran YouTube subscribers for detector manufacturers channels
April 01, 2020 01:56PM
Thats a pretty meaningless post. Your numbers obviously dont include that majority of channels. There some channels that have more subscribers that your totals. Your numbers also have no ability to measure the quality of the channel. Theres a LOT of @#$%& youtubers who have a handful of subscribers and it has nothing to do with the brand they swing. How did you figure in the channels where they swing any of a number of brands or multiple people all using different gear?

Until you can compare all things equally (which cant be done on a platform like YT) any attempt at correlation is futile and misleading.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

April 01, 2020 03:25PM
I think it shows the popularity of the different brands. If I had to rank them on my 45 years of detecting experience, I think I would have ranked them in the same order. If I agree, then it can't be wrong. (wink - wink)
PS. I've only ever had one Garrett, The AT Pro. I didn't keep it very long.
April 01, 2020 03:34PM
The numbers cant be reflective of anything. My YT channel has more subscribers than the OP shows for "all minelab subscribers", so how could his number be anything close to accurate portrayal, of anything.

April 01, 2020 03:57PM
silverfiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thats a pretty meaningless post. Your numbers obv
> iously dont include that majority of channels. Th
> ere some channels that have more subscribers that
> your totals. Your numbers also have no ability to
> measure the quality of the channel. Theres a LOT
> of @#$%& youtubers who have a handful of subscribe
> rs and it has nothing to do with the brand they sw
> ing. How did you figure in the channels where the
> y swing any of a number of brands or multiple peop
> le all using different gear?
>
> Until you can compare all things equally (which ca
> nt be done on a platform like YT) any attempt at c
> orrelation is futile and misleading.

I never said a lot could be derived from the data. It is data neverthe less.

Couple things here.
I am not a subscriber to any of the channels I listed.
Yet I do look at the channels occassioanly some more than others.
So one can SE the data doses 't paint the whole picture.
Also wonder of folks actually do subscribe yet in the future if they lose interest or change brands of detectors used, do the they unsubscribe. Case in point some folks may have transition d to Minelab Eqx away from Garrett At series detectors. Did these folks unsubscribe from Garrett's channel? Perhaps or perhaps not.
Also looking at Technetics brand for example, they have Hunter GT channels where their products are talks about.
Other manufacturers products are talked about on individual's channels . Even my channel for example.
Nokta Makro for example has folks who talk about their product in Europe I notice.

So yes the original post numbers don't tell the whole story as far as folks interest or wanting to stay abreast of a manufacturer's products.

Curiosity IMO does cause one to study, think and maybe just learn a thing or two. I think it is also fair to say some of the manufacturers have done a better job using social media and YouTube to talk about and market their products.

Cheers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2020 04:01PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 01, 2020 04:20PM
I can see why garrett would be at the top. If you do a top sales of metal detectors on amazon, you won't see a detector a lot of us would use until way down the line. The simplex at 21 I think would be one I would consider but garret has a ton in the top 100 including pinpointer etc. I don't think garrett is hurting and they have a new hobby detector coming out soon. I am sure a lot more detectors are bought from amazon then from where I buy my detectors.
April 01, 2020 04:57PM
The numbers just reflect the quality of the videos offered. People subscribe to a YT channel because they like what they see and don't want to miss the next one that comes out.

If Nokta, Fisher and Tecknetics had better videos, they would have a lot more subscribers. YouTube is a great way to get people interested in your product. Garrett knows this.
April 01, 2020 09:21PM
I think it is a good test, at least it show something. This is why some of the best people are not hear any more, If you don't think something is good that someone post, just move on and keep your mouth closed. At least it is about detectors. I know I don't do a lot here but it was good to come here and read some good reports. just about to get like some other forums. Sorry for the rant but this is how I feel.
April 01, 2020 09:53PM
Flintstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
...... If you don't think something is good that someone post, just move on and keep your mouth closed.

Pot, meet the kettle.

April 01, 2020 11:36PM
I think I just met POT Head
April 02, 2020 12:52PM
Haha, yes, the classic last resort when you have no rebuttal to an argument, just attack the person.

Lets be clear here. Forums are filled with threads about how my people love XXX detector, and how to best use another detector, and comparing brands and models. Great, lovely, have at it. Its all personal opinion and can only be countered with another personal opinion. BUT! When people start posting data points, you better have your @#$%& together! Incomplete data is wholly disingenuous and implies either incompetence or lies. I can sit here and post that radio-shack detectors have the highest number of social media accounts, but is it true? Did I infer things in my count? did I bother to actually look for other accounts?

April 02, 2020 06:36PM
Here is another way of looking at it. The following is a ranking by # of videos for each channel:
Minelab     522
White's     326
Nokta/Makro 232
Garrett     203
XP          111
C-Scope      51
Fisher       40
Teknetics    32
Maybe this gives us a measure of "effort made" by each company. OTOH, companies (like FTP) may prefer to rely more on user-channels so their efforts show up elsewhere. BTW, White's may be skewed a bit high because they were in the video biz long before anyone else. Every detector shipped used to include video help, even back to the days of VHS. So the White's channel may include a lot of 30-yr-old videos.

Now we can divide the number of subscribers by the number of videos. These are loyal watchers so let's call this "Return on Investment":
Garrett     288.7
XP          139.6
Teknetics    88.4
Fisher       83.5
Minelab      43.7
White's      33.7
Nokta/Makro  19.8
C-Scope      13.9
Instead of # of subscribers, we can look at # of views:
Garrett    19.26M
Minelab     7.67M
White's     5.35M
Nokta/Makro 1.72M
XP          1.44M
Fisher       304k
Teknetics    217k
C-Scope      147k
And, again, views divided by videos offers a possible look at something akin to "popularity" since it includes drive-by viewers:
Garrett     94.9k
White's     16.4k
Minelab     14.7k
XP          13.0k
Fisher       7.6k
Nokta/Makro  7.4k
Teknetics    6.8k
C-Scope      2.6k
What does all this mean? Nothing, really. Just interesting. However, I'd have to say that Garrett is by far getting the most out of their efforts. Who knows whether that's because of the quality of the detectors or the quality of the videos, or whether those efforts equate to more sales.
April 02, 2020 06:56PM
Yes, that's some interesting info. Thanks for doing all the work.
April 02, 2020 07:15PM
Garrett jumped on a time proven advertising campaign and have largely reaped the benefits from doing so. Their first big success was by sponsoring the TV detecting shows. Most hardcore detectorists hated the shows and that's been beat like a dead horse on the forums. Those shows caught the eyes of people that would become newbies to the hobby, first time buyers, etc and since they were always seeing the guys use Garrett metal detectors and finding good stuff...guess what they associated with being the "best" out there. Never under estimate the power of TV.

Around the same time frame, YouTube detecting channels were just starting to get popular and Garrett saw the potential and hooked some of them up with products. That's why some of the biggest, oldest, and more popular channels are Garrett people. Now days, the detecting channel thing is saturated. There's so many doing them now that it is exhausting and most people like me, just stick to the ones they originally liked. I have tried to watch some of the newer ones but they they lack originality...most seem to try and be copies of the other channels. They can't even be original in their catch phrases and will copy the others. The only newer one I have subscribed to and like, is a channel called "Square Nail Squirrel". His videos are in HD and he has great editing skills. No hoopla.

Other manufacturers have tried to duplicate/copy this line of advertising but IMO, most of the good ones were already on board with other companies or didn't want to be tied down to just one company. That's like me...I'll use anything that best fits my needs, no matter the label on it. There's so many now that will do anything and say anything to be "sponsored" by a company that it's pathetic and pitiful. You can't trust anything they say or show.
April 02, 2020 09:06PM
There ae many different mindsets, IQ, thoughts, etc on how a person feels about the detector model(s) they use.
Some folks may indeed think whatever model(s) they have bought are the BEST.
Some may feel they bought the BEST they AFFORD.
Some may feel they have the best cause one of their idols using same model.

Also it would seem possible how difficult a detector is to setup or use could actually drive YouTube video count up.
Wonder if White's V3i would have been priced same as AT Pro. Wonder which detector would when had more videos done on and posted online? I say the White's model.

You won't catch me with detector/ detecting videos to tell,folks what to buy, or give bs claims to a model. Units given to me for testing and be able to talk about and do videos, they get NO special treatment. If they have weakness it won't be covered up. And if model has strengths they are pointed out.

I personally don't like to watch you tubes done by folks who are sponsored by detecting manufacturer. When I see hats and shirts with manufacturers name and or logos on them is a turn OFF to me. I always wondered if these folks had the matching auto seat covers, matching pillow cases and sheets and toilet paper with associated logo. Lol.

I caution folks on prematurely passing up watching a YouTube video based on actual views. There are some good ones folks have down and they have smaller numbers of views.

Cheers.

PS
You know the more I think about metal detectors and corona virus have a lot in common.
Both work as invisible to naked eye. And just like folks watch the news, etc to monitor corona virus, folks read here about detectors. Watch you tube videos too. They are looking for detector symptoms. What are the symptoms of a detected nonferrous find, both via meter and or audio,

And the expression might hold true for Covid 19 virus just like detecting. We don't know what we don't know.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2020 09:22PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 02, 2020 11:20PM
I hardly ever watch any detecting related videos and don't subscribe to any detecting YT channels. I'll occasionally watch one if it's posted here on the forum. I like Calabash's videos and Kieth Southern's.
April 02, 2020 11:26PM
I'm down to just the Hoover Boys. I gave up on the rest.
April 03, 2020 04:09AM
Garrett has certain people with large YouTube subscriberships using their machines. And a semi-scantily clad young woman on their detector packages. So they get a crossover effect. I prefer to watch a variety of channels and follow different forums to get info on how to improve on using my F44 & F75 especially with small coils and different settings. I think Fisher, Minelab, and White's should step up their YouTube channel presence so people can make informed choices.