Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Surprised

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Surprised
April 05, 2020 01:51PM
There is a 80 some acre farm down the road from me I have a permission on. The 2 story all stone house has a gable end plaque with a persons last name and a date of 1860. The house is going to ruin, it's a shame. The owner as of a few years, is a big car dealer around here, he lives across the street in another old stone home.
I decided to get out with my f-75 LTD for a couple hours to see what the place would give up. Found a few coins there in the past years . . .remembering, a half dime, large cent many many poultry bands that read the same as a half dime. Ugh!

Had the 11" coil on the end, great match up. Making a long story short, I dug a 1944 wheat, a 1863 ? Indian, a lead hem weight (10" deep), I think it's a hem weight, and what surprised me, a 1738 King George II Copper (8" deep). Didn't know until I got home and picture texted RodPA, he set me straight on what it was....he has an eye for coins. Thanks Rod!

The KG was about 60' behind the house. The surprising part was that the KG was 122 years older than the House. It's possible the coin got there from many ways . . .. still surprised me and got me to wondering.
Re: Surprised
April 05, 2020 02:06PM
Nice finds ozzzie. Congrats. No pictures?smileys with beer

El
April 05, 2020 02:16PM
Elbert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice finds ozzzie. Congrats. No pictures?smileys with beer
>
> El

Thanks but sorry El, your imagination will have to do... . . I can help though . .. the KG and Indian were in bad condition, had to flashlight the side of the KG to ID it. I would rather see a pic too, but I'm too lazy brained to learn how to post a pic here, lol.
April 05, 2020 03:58PM
Looks like you’ve got a great place to hunt there Ozzie!
Congrats on that King George.....DANNNNG!
April 05, 2020 04:01PM
Nice finds!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2020 04:05PM by Harold,ILL..
April 05, 2020 04:03PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now go back with that hot CZ-3D and clean out all them coins over 8".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2020 04:06PM by Harold,ILL..
April 05, 2020 04:48PM
Nice finds ozzie. That's one of the fun things about this hobby, one never knows for sure what some of these older spots might give up. I've been shocked a few times myself. Like a 1840o half dime from a school yard that is at least 100 years younger then the half dime??? Good luck and stay safe. HH jim tn
April 05, 2020 07:05PM
NICE Ozzie !!

Makes you wonder if there was an even older house there?

The possibilities.!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 05, 2020 07:23PM
Congrats on the hunt, can't beat colonial era coins and relics thumbs down
April 05, 2020 07:41PM
Aaron, thanks.. .. .. There's more there, didn't cover an eighth of the place in the years hunting it.

Thanks Harold, I use the CZ in the field where less junk lye's

Thanks Jim. Yes, that half dime in the school yard is a bigger surprise, true that.

Keith, that is definitely a possibility .. .. .. I can't get any maps older than 1870's, or older than than the house. Thanks bud.!

Thanks original Cal, what's up? I have a bunch of old coppers .. .. .. trade you some ole coins for those goldies you been kicking up. drinking smiley
April 05, 2020 07:43PM
sounds like you had a great time, congrats on the finds!
jeff
April 05, 2020 07:48PM
Thanks Jeff, I did.