Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What will you do differently?

Posted by goodmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What will you do differently?
April 08, 2020 09:20PM
Saw this on another forum. After this crisis what will you change?

Me? A small chest freezer. A supply of meats would sure come in handy.
A better supply of wine would have also been nice.

And of course getting in better shape.
Re: What will you do differently?
April 08, 2020 09:51PM
Some physical items a few months back, all of a sudden became incredibly valuable. Like toilet paper. No matter you have the money to purchase the item.....its not available....mmmm. So hoarding money isnt the answer. Even stock piling TP wouldnt last forever. Perhaps owning tools to produce ones needs....long term value. Makes one think.
April 08, 2020 10:05PM
I would suggest that after the 'virus crisis' will come the 'economic crisis' . So it's perhaps wiser to think what you will do to prepare for the latter, rather than contemplate what went badly during the former.
April 08, 2020 10:49PM
Have enough detecting gear to hunt for clad.
Need to stock up on some more fishing gear. Lots of river within walking distance, 20 plus species of fish............walleye, pike, musky, bass, perch, sunfish, crappie, trout, catfish.....

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
April 08, 2020 11:19PM
If we forget the past mistakes (ours or others), we are sure to repeat....not learn. Man will never be fully prepared for the future, circumstances and variables always different. Crisis never give much of warning ahead of time. Adapt and survive.
April 09, 2020 02:14AM
Pimento, I agree 100%. Will the dollar collapse in value some more? Gold and silver are getting very difficult to buy. Maybe have to stock up on supplies we will need in the next bunch of months?
The fun never ends!
April 09, 2020 03:22AM
Investing in myself more. I have greatly increased my exercise regime and plan to continue it as long as I am physically able to.
April 09, 2020 04:04AM
I'm actually surprised silver hasn't really gone up, only gold.

What would I do differently, probably make sure we always have few months worth of TP on hand eye popping smiley

More pantry items, a .45 would be nice to have right now, be in better shape, but as others have pointed out the #1 thing people should be prepared for is weathering another major economic recession!

I'm not convinced the stock market has bottomed out, reality still hasn't sunk in for most Americans as far as the gravity of the situation at hand, and the potential fall out in terms of both the human and financial toll this will take, it's got a long ways to go, it will get worse before it gets better, and the economy doesn't just pick up where it left, it has to be rebuilt. Amazing this is will be the third recession in 20 years, does that seem normal?

I learned my lesson from the 2008 recession to be far more financially responsible, save up for a rainy year or two, at the cost of a lot of junk I used to waste money on. You learn to live without it, actually most of the things we spend "disposable" income on aren't important anyhow, and focus on what's important in life, like family, metal detecting and retiring right? drinking smiley
April 09, 2020 11:50AM
Physically im not in any better shape now than i was. I now take a 2 mile walk then run daily ...... where before i spent a good many days detecting (5 to 7 hours) then ran 3 or more days a week. So im not strengthening as many mussel groups. But i dont have as many aches or pains either...lol. We have hurricane season......so if one comes thru it can be REAL life changing. We get prepared for it ... expecting not electric, water, and .... well hoarding much worse than we see now can take place. I also agree...... what kind of toll will it take in the long run...... and i dont think people are just going to emerge either..... i think its going to take time. For us in Fl who rely on tourists...... it could be real slow to recover. Because many countries will be trying to put their lives and economy back together......so vacation to the US maybe slow...... when our government allows them to come in.

In some ways thou this has been a life changers. Families have had to spend more time together.....maybe tighten their belts a bit..... new ways to education.... and you actually had to communicate with each other. Ive got a grand son who lives with me about to go to college. It was very difficult to impress on him the need to stay home. Hes got a lot of friends and was pretty active all year....... and that just stopped. He works part time in a nursing home...... and called in sick one day. They told him at that point he couldnt come back for 14 days. Its real hard to get thru to a teenager WHY. Ive got to believe it wont be business as usual when this is done....... no more than it was after 9/11. Security has cost us trillions of dollars more. How will health care change?
April 09, 2020 01:26PM
I won't be signing up early or pre-paying for things to save a few dollars. I've had a lot of races (running) get cancelled that are non-refundable as well as some travel things that i had to either lose or pay extra fees to transfer due to taking the cheaper pre-pay option. What used to save money before now cost money more money in the long run. Lots of people will spend a few dollars for last minute plans instead of cheaper in advance. This action in itself will disturb the event and travel markets for ever.

My daily life hasn't changed really other than trying to work with kids.
April 09, 2020 02:29PM
Keep on keeping on---God has provided us with a bumper fruit crop this coming year:blue berries,huckle berries(I'll be your huckleberry"),black berries,crab apples,and pears.
The garden is planted and with a good year we will can 150qts of squash,100 pts.of tomatoes and lesser amounts of peas,butter beans,and okra.
When the kids/grandkids come they have their shopping lists ready and we share our bounty with them all year.
God bless America.
April 10, 2020 06:19PM
Sven

In 2 weeks I'll be after those "eyes". They are staging now and with the cold snap coming up may still be in the river come opening day.
April 10, 2020 06:21PM
+1
I'm doing the same as much as possible.
April 10, 2020 07:55PM
not work so much, and not gain so much weight, it's hard to bend over to grab the targets, might be old age tho
April 10, 2020 11:33PM
Jackpine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sven
>
> In 2 weeks I'll be after those "eyes". They are s
> taging now and with the cold snap coming up may st
> ill be in the river come opening day.

Have a trip set up for my 3 sons and I on Lake Of The Woods, Mn side of the Mn/Canada border for the first week of June. Typically a fantastic trip catching eyes and a few northern pike. Trip probably in serious jeopardy this year, though. They still haven't had a case of the virus yet in their county, however. Stay safe all. HH jim tn
April 10, 2020 11:46PM
A friends father in law was on his way to his cabin in upper PA. State police pulled him over and told him to turn around and go home. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Taxes paid and all that. I guess in the grand scheme small potatoes to other people's problems.
April 11, 2020 12:38AM
Yeah, not sure I agree with that. Seems like he should be able to go to his own cabin. Of course, the police don't know, he could be one just wanting to get away from virus laden "Dodge." Stay safe. HH jim tn
April 11, 2020 12:59AM
Too many people going to Air BnBs and vacation homes to get out of the larger cities to try to ride this out.
April 11, 2020 02:08AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
>
> I'm not convinced the stock market has bottomed ou
> t, reality still hasn't sunk in for most Americans
> as far as the gravity of the situation at hand, an
> d the potential fall out in terms of both the huma
> n and financial toll this will take, it's got a lo
> ng ways to go, it will get worse before it gets be
> tter, and the economy doesn't just pick up where i
> t left, it has to be rebuilt.

I agree! This may turn out to be worse than the 2008 financial/housing crisis and look what happened to the stock market back then. People's habits are going to change and that is going to affect most businesses for a longtime to come. If the stock market tanks like it did in 2008, I'd risk a few hundred thousand in a low risk Blue Chip 'index' fund that pays out dividends. CD's are paying almost no interest nowadays.

tabman

tabman
April 11, 2020 10:00AM
Up until today in Michjgan people had a choice, stay or go to your vacation home and follow a 14 day quarantine. The problem is/was they were going to the other home and promptly hitting the grocery, liquor and hardware stores.

I work at a fair sized General Store in our small town and see this constantly. I quit working the counter 2 weeks ago and now come in early before opening to do purchasing and handle inventory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2020 10:06AM by Jackpine.
April 11, 2020 10:12AM
Jim

I hope things settle down by then so that you and your sons can get some fishing in. Sounds like a great trip.

I'm lucky as I live on the river and it's 2 blocks to the boat launch. After a virus problem a few years back, the older age class from plantings are now getting up there in size.
April 11, 2020 10:33AM
It is a great trip, Jackpine. Lake Of The Woods is a walleye factory. Its not all that un-common to catch 50 + per (2 in the boat) boat in a morning or evening of fishing. Catch and release, of course. And the slot makes for some dandy size fish year after year.

I've been in touch with the fishing lodge/resort owners and someone bringing the virus up to the area is a strong concern of all the locals.

Gerald, there is no way its going to be business as usual for a very long time. At our age my friend, perhaps in our life time. HH jim tn
April 11, 2020 12:25PM
Just read the news and Michigan banned motorized boating for the current stay at home period.
April 17, 2020 06:15AM
Guess social distancing equals no motor-boating.
April 17, 2020 10:19AM
You can still go fishing in Ontario, Canada Link to Fishing is OK
Just watch for local restrictions to access and possibly being stopped by the police for non-essential travel.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
April 17, 2020 10:51AM
Jackpine Wrote:
> Just read the news and Michigan banned motorized b
> oating for the current stay at home period.

= fruitcake governor.

Folks are out of work, can't go to many places.
Kids too limited.

So fishing from a boat is high risk???

Crazy governor.
She won't last much longer. And if she had higher aspirations politically they have been dashed by her silliness.

Just my take.
I have been wrong before, don't think so this though.

Cheere.

So much for the Great Lakes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2020 10:54AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 17, 2020 11:18AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Jackpine Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just read the news and Michigan banned motorized
> b
> > oating for the current stay at home period.
>
> = fruitcake governor.
>
> Folks are out of work, can't go to many places.
> Kids too limited.
>
> So fishing from a boat is high risk???
>
> Crazy governor.
> She won't last much longer. And if she had higher
> aspirations politically they have been dashed by h
> er silliness.
>
> Just my take.
> I have been wrong before, don't think so this thou
> gh.
>
> Cheere.
>
> So much for the Great Lakes.

Walleye season opens next Saturday and I can guarantee there will be people fishing especially at night.

Local Sheriff Dept and County Marine Patrol are mum on this which I take that as a good thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2020 11:25AM by Jackpine.
April 17, 2020 11:20AM
It's crazy for sure especially up north where I live.
April 17, 2020 02:19PM
Any person/animal/thing can be beaten to a point where it will turn on you.
April 17, 2020 07:54PM
Mountain people have always found ways to survive. We've never been rich and never will be. A lot of what people say they will be doing different, has just always been a part of living here. Growing gardens, canning things, hunting and fishing for food, actually knowing how to cook things. The traditions are being passed down. If not by parents, by aunts and cool uncles.

20200415_201856 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

20200411_191413 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

20200415_121218 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

93702218_251780989278196_717750994359812096_n by Daniel Teague, on Flickr