Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Weird tones

Posted by Brian Rowland 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Weird tones
April 10, 2020 01:10AM
Maybe someone can shed some light on what happened today, I went detecting with my cz3d at a park today in Florida, the machine ran great, stopped by a friend's house on my way home, he wanted to see how the machine worked, so I dropped a quarter in the tall St Augustine grass and turned the machine on, the machine would not stop beeping, I could not get it to stop false tones, I change the batteries and same thing happened, I stopped by the park on the way home and tried it and it worked perfectly, I asked him if he had his grass fertilized recently and he did, could fertilizer cause that to happen?
Re: Weird tones
April 10, 2020 01:19AM
Did it beep while the coil was in the air as well as on the ground? Could be Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI).

If it only happened on the ground, it could be a number of things, but not likely fertilizer.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2020 01:29AM by Badger in NH.
April 10, 2020 01:24AM
Electric fence or electric underground wire? HH jim tn
April 10, 2020 01:33AM
It was beeping in the air also, I guess I'll chalk it up to EMI, thanks for info,
April 10, 2020 02:18AM
REALLY sounds like EMI. And for a CZ...… that's rare.
Even greater chance of underground power (AC) wires.
April 10, 2020 02:27AM
Yep, I’ve rarely experienced EMI w the CZ3d. My backyard test garden is less than 25ft away from power lines and can hit my 11” dime!
April 10, 2020 03:33AM
Awesome guys, thanks for info, I'm just glad it wasn't the cz, it's a great machine
April 12, 2020 03:00AM
Does your friend have a dog? If so, it could have been caused by an underground invisible fence. They produce an electronic pulse that activates the correction collar on the dog. It will also cause a pulsing beep on many detectors.