Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Will I regret an Equinox 600?

Posted by thumperjones 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Will I regret an Equinox 600?
April 17, 2020 05:16PM
Looking for some advice fellas. Long time T2 Classic user here. I have been reading and researching all about the Equinox detectors the last few days and would like to try one out.

I found a fair deal on a used 600 locally and am strongly considering it. I never hunt gold on purpose, and never detect near saltwater. Mostly relics in iron infested sites and old coins in parks (like most people I assume). However our soil here in most of my area in North AL is fairly ironized, similar to Keith Southerns if you watch his videos.

Will I be really missing out with the extra 20khz and 40khx frequencies and the few other features and adjustments in the 800 for my intended uses and my soil type?

It's hard to find the cash for a new 800 at the moment. I need to sell a couple detectors but they are older "untrendy" Teknetics machines and I won't get much for them, LOL!

Thanks for any advice guys. Yall take care.
Re: Will I regret an Equinox 600?
April 17, 2020 05:39PM
I don't know about your soil but I run my 800 in MULTI almost all the time.
As far as the other settings I don't think you will miss them the 600 is a nice machine for someone on a budget or not needing the other features.
April 17, 2020 05:41PM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know about your soil but I run my 800 in M
> ULTI almost all the time.
> As far as the other settings I don't think you wil
> l miss them the 600 is a nice machine for someone
> on a budget or not needing the other features.

Thanks for the advice. That's what I was hoping to hear.

I was wondering if the extra two frequencies in Multi mode that the 800 offers would make much difference in bad ground.
April 17, 2020 05:48PM
I have owned an Equinox 600 since February 2018. I bought it because 800s were nearly impossible to get at the time. I intended to upgrade to an 800 once they became available; however, after using the 600 for a while, I realized that an 800 would give me little to no additional benefit.
April 17, 2020 06:05PM
It is a nice machine but I didn't like the falsing but the T2 falses too so probably ok. Turn sensitivity down on the Equinox and you don't notice the falsing in iron. The biggest dislike is no middle coil.

Still with the 11" and 6" coils it's good. Wish I hadn't sold my Equinox 800. Add carbon fiber shaft makes it even lighter.

Nothing wrong with getting the 600. 800 has gold modes and more adjustments.

Now waiting for something better than the Equinox. lol
April 17, 2020 06:22PM
I have used my original T2 since they came out and its found me the most gold coinage and silver hammered coins of all my other machines.I also have a Nox 600 which is a decent machine for sure,wont part ith it but always gravitate back to using my good old faithful T2 and the Nox is often my backup machine.

Infact my Equinox could be seen as a backup machine after the T2 and Deus,the Deus although not as deep as the Equinox but i personally find it suits my roman/saxon trashy sites better especially when i use elliptical coils on both these main machines.

The T2 also has a far wider coil selection as well,3 only with the Nox but i think currently have 12 coils for the T2.
April 17, 2020 06:29PM
No, I don't think you'd regret.
Unless you know at this point you really "think you need / want" an 800

I bought a 600 and wrote a "Review" and it's on this site if you'd like to have a read... I'd be interested to hear your thoughts afterwards...

Desi Dunne
April 17, 2020 06:31PM
Quote:"I was wondering if the extra two frequencies in Multi mode that the 800 offers ....."
Multi mode is identical for both machines. Hence the performance is identical, just the choices of audio tone-breaks etc etc are lacking on the 600.
April 17, 2020 07:18PM
Pimento Wrote:
> Quote:"I was wondering if the extra tw
> o frequencies in Multi mode that the 800 offers ..
> ..."

> Multi mode is identical for both machines.
> Hence the performance is identical, just the choic
> es of audio tone-breaks etc etc are lacking on the
> 600.

I did not know that about multi mode. Thank you for that. That makes the 600 seem like a better choice for me.
April 17, 2020 07:46PM
Des D Wrote:
> No, I don't think you'd regret.
> Unless you know at this point you really "think yo
> u need / want" an 800
>
> I bought a 600 and wrote a "Review" and it's on th
> is site if you'd like to have a read... I'd be int
> erested to hear your thoughts afterwards...
>
> Desi Dunne

I read your review and I greatly appreciate all the info and time you shared to write it. Very well done and certainly gives a lot to consider, or in my case, reconsider.
April 17, 2020 08:22PM
Thanks for that! Appreciate it lots.
April 17, 2020 08:34PM
The headphones that come with the 600 aren't very good. If you upgrade, you might consider going wireless. I went with the Trond V4.2 Bluetooth headphones and like them a lot. They are about half the price of the Minelab wireless phones and just as good IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2020 08:51PM by Badger in NH.
April 17, 2020 10:19PM
In your application...…. you will find identical performance from a EQX-600 (vs. the EQX-800).