Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

MDT for park hunting

Posted by Denny 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
MDT for park hunting
April 24, 2020 04:37PM
Anyone have good success using the MDT at parks?

My MDT ground balances around 625 at this particular park. I haven't had good success with it. I've pounded this park with the CTX over the years. MDT is getting fooled by small iron just like the CTX. Only dug up a couple of wheaties at 7 inches and a deep V-nickel at 10 inches. Paul has dug up nickels at this park with the ATX at 10 inches so I know MDT goes deep. I haven't dug up any silver yet maybe CTX did too good of a job sniffing out the silver.

Gonna keep trying I know there's more. This park as some EMI and blacksand mode is used. I'll try using salt mode and see what happens.

Denny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2020 04:38PM by Denny.
Re: MDT for park hunting
April 27, 2020 01:44AM
Hit the park today. Dug 11 holes, 8 had iron in them, 2 aluminum targets and 1 dateless buffalo nickel ay 7 inches. Nickel came in at 12-14 sometimes 7 but when sweeping side to side towards the the bottom of hole nickel came in 22-24. Nickel must have developed a halo. Still getting fooled by small iron like the CTX. Tried salt mode I didn't see a difference in my ground which ground balances at 645 on the MDT.

Settings were: sens 9, threshold -2, disc 0, blacksand ON.
April 27, 2020 02:01AM
Good job Denny,

Getting an old coin from that park is incredible, a dateless buffalo nickel is still a sight for sore eyes. I would call this part hunt with the MDT a success, I think you and I are the only ones using am MDT for park turf.

Congratulations! You earned that old buffalo for sure!
Paul
April 27, 2020 02:08AM
Denny.

If you run the sens that high small iron will fool you till your really get the sound in your head of a nail false Vs a legitimate hit..Dont be scared to go down to say 6 SENS if you have to.it will hit deep coins on 6 sens.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 27, 2020 03:09AM
Finding that myself, usually keeping the sensitivity around 6-7, any higher I’m getting fooled by iron. The unit does not require the sensitivity to be cranked wide open for high performance depth.

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
April 27, 2020 03:40PM
Keith and Aaron,

I had my sensitivity high because I was going after deepies. There were no clean signals many iffy half signals. I slowed my sweep and digging signals that I wouldn't hear when I was sweeping a little faster. Also digging iffy half signals. Sometimes there will be a silver coin hiding near iron like a half dime.

Denny
April 27, 2020 05:35PM
Denny you in a hunted out area I guess your saying?

I find in areas like that with alot of units its easy to make iffy targets want to be dug yet you know there's something not quite right with the signal before you dig but you take a chance.

I have certain areas like that. I have found on the Tarsacci to go to mixed mode and set disc on zero.

Listen for the approach and departure of the all metal side of the report and see what the smaller blip in middle sounds like.If you cross check in just disc that blip is hard to hear or broken etc from being small and or deep.But it mixed you can hear the roundness of the signal from the all metal side and the faint report makes more sense if if its legitimate or oblong nail falsing.

I have found On the Tarsacci high Sens does not equate into high depth in certain soils.

And too slow a sweep speed can also be detrimental.and too fast detrimental.the Tarsacci Has a sweet spot sweep speed.The falsing will collapse heavily once the speed is right.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 28, 2020 12:28AM
Denny.
I had some good luck using mixed mode. In hard hit sites. I used AM mode too to expose lot of the iron. Mixed mode works. Imo if something is round Tarsacci hits it like a duck on a June bug.

I ran my unit lot of times level 7 Sens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2020 12:29AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 28, 2020 03:59PM
Hello Denny,

Here’s something I use while Park hunting for deep older coins, maybe other MDT users hitting an old park will benefit from this as well. You’re probably already figured this out, but I’ll still add below maybe others will benefit from this.

Before I started using the MDT for deep park/turf coins, tested the MDT at a test bed of buried coins at different depths at an old park. What I found, audio modulation is terrible with the MDT. It’s difficult to tell a deep coin from a coin not so deep. Tarsacci is very deep, and you know how I hunt and prefer 18 kHz with the Tarsacci. 18khz will enhance the signal of a worn thin silver dime or 1/2 dime, or an old deep nickel and as deep as the MDT detects you’re not really losing much depth using 18khz. Plus, if I wanted can always bump up sensitivity to gain back what little I lost.

Plus, with the MDT. A very deep nickel will ID as a deep silver coin. I find this benefiting the user going after deep coins. They will not miss the older deeper nickels with the MDT, sure other trashy low conductive items and bits and pieces of iron will fool me but eventually an old deep coin will surfaced.

Getting back to the test bed, I practiced listening to each buried coin at each depth until I found the right sensitivity usually 5 to 6 sometimes 7 and right kHz in my case I choose 18khz. Using a certain sensitivity setting, 18khz I can determine a deep coin even though MDT Audio modulation isn’t the greatest. Each MDT user will need to find what settings (sensitivity/threshold) and kHz works best for them to determine depth, what works for me may not be the best settings for others to determine depth from the limited audio/ID information the MDT produces. Many hard core turf hunters may choose a lower kHz for deep silver coins, that’s fine use what works for you. But at least practice with a test bed of coins at the same park you plan to detect, or a park similar to the one you plan to detect.

With the MDT, a user can have good success getting deep coins from pounded parks. It won’t be consistent, but eventually you find deep coins. Stick with what settings work best for you, practice with a test bed, don’t switch from one kHz to another learn only one kHz and stick with it. Changing kHz effects audio modulation, and audio modulation is already terrible so stick with one kHz and learn what the MDT is telling you from the test bed.

Have patience, don’t get discouraged eventually you’ll learn how to score coins from pounded parks with the MDT.

Paul
April 28, 2020 04:15PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Denny you in a hunted out area I guess your saying
> ?
>
> I find in areas like that with alot of units its e
> asy to make iffy targets want to be dug yet you kn
> ow there's something not quite right with the sign
> al before you dig but you take a chance.
>
>
> I have certain areas like that. I have found on t
> he Tarsacci to go to mixed mode and set disc on ze
> ro.
>
> Listen for the approach and departure of the all m
> etal side of the report and see what the smaller b
> lip in middle sounds like.If you cross check in ju
> st disc that blip is hard to hear or broken etc fr
> om being small and or deep.But it mixed you can he
> ar the roundness of the signal from the all metal
> side and the faint report makes more sense if if i
> ts legitimate or oblong nail falsing.
>
>
> I have found On the Tarsacci high Sens does not
> equate into high depth in certain soils.
>
> And too slow a sweep speed can also be detrimental
> .and too fast detrimental.the Tarsacci Has a sweet
> spot sweep speed.The falsing will collapse heavily
> once the speed is right.
>
> Keith

Yes hunted out of easy targets.
I do play around with sweeping speed and have hunted with lower sensitivity before.

I bought the MDT to replace my ATX for water hunting but noticed it's good for relic hunting Paul showed me that. Park hunting I still favor the CTX. I'm used to the smart screen. But I'm going to keep using the MDT until I dig up a silver.

So far dug up 2 wheaties, 1 v-nickel and 1 buffalo nickel from the park.

Denny
April 28, 2020 04:22PM
Apolonio (CA) Wrote:
> Hello Denny,
>
> Here’s something I use while Park hunting for
> deep older coins, maybe other MDT users hitting an
> old park will benefit from this as well. You’re p
> robably already figured this out, but I’ll still a
> dd below maybe others will benefit from this.
>
> Before I started using the MDT for deep park/t
> urf coins, tested the MDT at a test bed of buried
> coins at different depths at an old park. What I f
> ound, audio modulation is terrible with the MDT. I
> t’s difficult to tell a deep coin from a coin not
> so deep. Tarsacci is very deep, and you know how I
> hunt and prefer 18 kHz with the Tarsacci. 18khz wi
> ll enhance the signal of a worn thin silver dime o
> r 1/2 dime, or an old deep nickel and as deep as t
> he MDT detects you’re not really losing much depth
> using 18khz. Plus, if I wanted can always bump up
> sensitivity to gain back what little I lost.
>
> Plus, with the MDT. A very deep nickel will
> ID as a deep silver coin. I find this benefiting t
> he user going after deep coins. They will not miss
> the older deeper nickels with the MDT, sure other
> trashy low conductive items and bits and pieces of
> iron will fool me but eventually an old deep coin
> will surfaced.
>
> Getting back to the test bed, I practiced lis
> tening to each buried coin at each depth until I f
> ound the right sensitivity usually 5 to 6 sometime
> s 7 and right kHz in my case I choose 18khz. Using
> a certain sensitivity setting, 18khz I can determi
> ne a deep coin even though MDT Audio modulation is
> n’t the greatest. Each MDT user will need to find
> what settings (sensitivity/threshold) and kHz work
> s best for them to determine depth, what works for
> me may not be the best settings for others to dete
> rmine depth from the limited audio/ID information
> the MDT produces. Many hard core turf hunters may
> choose a lower kHz for deep silver coins, that’s f
> ine use what works for you. But at least practice
> with a test bed of coins at the same park you plan
> to detect, or a park similar to the one you plan t
> o detect.
>
> With the MDT, a user can have good success ge
> tting deep coins from pounded parks. It won’t be c
> onsistent, but eventually you find deep coins. Sti
> ck with what settings work best for you, practice
> with a test bed, don’t switch from one kHz to anot
> her learn only one kHz and stick with it. Changing
> kHz effects audio modulation, and audio modulation
> is already terrible so stick with one kHz and lear
> n what the MDT is telling you from the test bed.
>
> Have patience, don’t get discouraged eventually yo
> u’ll learn how to score coins from pounded parks w
> ith the MDT.
>
> Paul

Good info Paul!
The MDT hits hard on gold and nickels. Yes patience is what one needs if they are going to master the MDT.

Denny
April 28, 2020 04:30PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Denny.
> I had some good luck using mixed mode. In hard hi
> t sites. I used AM mode too to expose lot of the
> iron. Mixed mode works. Imo if something is roun
> d Tarsacci hits it like a duck on a June bug.
>
> I ran my unit lot of times level 7 Sens.

I also use mixed mode I find it best for park hunting I'll switch to disc once in a while.
Have been using the MDT for 6 months exclusively. Still learning.

Denny
April 28, 2020 05:02PM
Thanks Denny,

In addition to kHz, should have mentioned two more settings an MDT user needs to leave alone when hunting parks for deep coins.

Because audio modulation isn’t there with MDT, once they get aquatinted with settings for park turf coins. Try to not make sens/threshold or kHz adjustments while hunting. Any big changes will greatly effect audio modulation so now that audio information an MDT user is listening for will be different. What sounds like a 8” or 9” buried dime may now sound shallow if they bump up sensitivity or adjust threshold or lower kHz. Stick with settings, if MDT user needs to adjust sens or threshold do it in small levels. Don’t mess with kHz, leave it were it’s at.

Good luck,
Paul