Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Zero turn or Tarsacci?

Posted by texkinzee 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Zero turn or Tarsacci?
May 01, 2020 09:48AM
3 acres to cut. Which will fare the best?
Re: Zero turn or Tarsacci?
May 01, 2020 10:45AM
I mow about 5 acres. I had went through 3 residential model riding lawn mowers in about 10 yrs, from Deere to Husqvarna. Too much mowing for what they are designed for. I bought a commercial grade 60" cut zero turn about 6-7 years ago and it's still going strong. All I do is routine maintenance...air and oil filters, change oil, and sharpen blades. I did have to replace the belts last yr. It's probably one of my best purchases when you figure how much of a work load that it does. Mine is a Bad Boy brand but you won't be able to buy one for the price of a Tarsacci. I think I gave $5k for mine back then. When it gives up the ghost, I plan on buying a smaller 20-25 HP compact tractor with a mower attachment and front end loader to replace it.
May 01, 2020 01:08PM
Key is running synthetic oil in engine.
I run a non commercial and cut loads of grass.
She’s still a purring.

Tex you can get one of these for around half what a Tarsacci cost.
Would cut the 3 acres might take a while.
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Actually Ifyou can believe this, I am cutting a total of about 3 acres for a friend whose property I hunt on.
Roadsides, fences, etc. Cutting around 600 acre farm,

Handy gadget.

They call me the weed man around here now. They are so impressed with this thing watching it cut.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2020 01:12PM by tnsharpshooter.
May 01, 2020 01:56PM
I've had a GT 235 John Deere for about 19 years, still going. Has a blower and grass catcher dual purpose trailer. I cut about an hour a week. Haul fire wood in the trailer and other property hauls, dirt, stone, you name it. I also drag a long ripped half sheet of plywood with runners and chain, pulling big logs I cant pick up, to the splitting area. I had to put chains on the back wheels for driving through mud in the back of the 2.5 acre property.

My guess is about 1500+ working hours on it. Regular maintenance. So far, same mower deck and battery, one belt replacement and blades. Briggs and Stratton 18 horse 2 piston engine still screams. Hope I didn't jinx myself bragging......that set up back then cost me close to 5k.
May 01, 2020 02:41PM
It's the grass catching that kills them IMO.

I've always been the fool and walked it, all the time casting jealous eyes toward the neighbor's rider. But I've always enjoyed mowing. Easy exercise and think time. Better than using an idiot stick, which I have done more times than I care to admit.

TNSS....get you some goats for those fence lines. Throw in a big Billy for the wandering dogs. A lot of times folks will burn the fence lines but when fire restrictions prohibit burning, folks will hitch the goats to the fence line and just move em down as they eat it out, section by section.

HH
Mike
May 01, 2020 03:53PM
I have a commercial SCAG ZTR (that cost many times more than a Tarsacci)…… that saves me a ton of time.....,,,,,, so I can go detecting more.
Be careful with 'time'...….. and what you do with it. (It's rare).
May 01, 2020 04:11PM
Haha I'm the goat man of my neighborhood. I have 13 of em right now. People stop along the road and pull into my driveway all the time to watch them play and to let their kids pet them, etc.

I actually just built a new enclosure for my nannys to keep them separate from the bucks. I put it on the side of a steep hill behind my house that was literally covered in poison ivy, hedge, honey suckle and blackberry bushes/briars. I only have 3 full grown nannies and made my area for them approx a half to 3/4 acre. I figured all that stuff would keep them busy eating for several weeks cause I couldn't even walk thru it. I had to take my chainsaw just to cut the lanes for me to build the fence, and for a spot to put their shelter hutch and that took me most of a day to do that. Wrong. 3 days later, every green leaf in that enclosure was gone, from the ivy on the ground to as high up as they could reach on their hind legs to get the other stuff. I couldn't believe it. I don't think they slept at all the first 2 nights...they just continually ate. When we first turned em loose in there, we couldn't even see them because it was so thick. You could hear them and see bushes shaking, and that was it. I'm fixing to have to buy more rolls of wired fence and massively expand that lot and it's only been 2 weeks since I built it!!
May 01, 2020 08:46PM
Daniel,
I'm always telling my wife that when we move rural after retirement I was going to get some working goats just for the fence lines. She always thought I was kidding her (she's a city girl) until one day out on a country drive we ran into some goats hitched to the fence doing exactly that. They were about halfway down a quarter section fence line and it was plain to see their work behind them. She believes me now. She also finally saw some goats in a tree that she thought was the funniest thing.

What do you think about those fainting goats? They look like a lot of laughs.
HH
Mike
May 01, 2020 09:59PM
Turn loose of some of that money George and get both. It’s your birthday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2020 10:00PM by Bill long.
May 02, 2020 03:02AM
Scag mowers sounds like turbo prop airplane when mowing. Probably fastest blade speed in rpms in industry. Darn good mowers too, cost more than most others too. My neighbor st my other house has a Scag.. Actually he has had 2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2020 03:03AM by tnsharpshooter.