Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Removing Coil Covers

Posted by Coilpower 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Removing Coil Covers
May 03, 2020 12:51AM
I guess we have all tried knives and every other thing to remove coil covers without breaking them.

[flic.kr]

The photo is of an old type bottle opener which with its curve and blunt end can be inserted on the side of a coil cover, then it is just a matter of sliding it all the way around cover to "pop" it off. Works extremely well on the Tarsacci covers too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2020 12:53AM by Coilpower.
Re: Removing Coil Covers
May 03, 2020 05:57PM
Sometimes they are so tight you can barely get a knife in. I've cracked a few. I don't use covers on my coils.
May 04, 2020 07:15PM
The only trouble I had was with the Fisher CZ series 8" coils that the cover would not come off.
Had to use a very thin knife and break the coil cover off
If I remember right these were after-market covers.
the thin cheap ones
May 04, 2020 09:19PM
Yes the old CZ covers were a PIA. I finally got one off after soaking it in hot water for a hour or so. I found a lite one made by a after market company that pops right off.
I can't find them anymore though?
May 04, 2020 09:25PM
I have been detecting for about 25 years, and have never broke a coil cover. I take them off about every mo. or if I hunt in sand or loose dirt. I pull the lower stim with coil on it and run hot water in sink, set coil in hot water for about 3 or 4 mins. and most of the time I can take it off with my hand, if to hard I use a small knife and slide it around it and it pops off. No more broken covers.
May 04, 2020 10:23PM
Some covers are easier to remove than others. As the others have said, CZ covers usually cannot be removed without breaking. I finally stopped buying them and just zip tied a frisbee to it instead. Good shock absorption and never needs to be removed for cleaning.

I've never had trouble with any of the other fisher coils or Minelab, White's, or SEF coils.

Tarsacci coil covers can be difficult to impossible to remove. They go on extremely tight.

Some of the NEL coil covers are so loose that they fall off while you are detecting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2020 10:25PM by Badger in NH.
May 05, 2020 05:58PM
I personally have never used coil cover in all the years that i have been detecting,i have a massive box full of them and most are still new.

My NEL coils are resin filled and if i recall they even mention you dont really need to use them on the companies website.

Some folks do and some dont,i never sell any of my coils anyway hence thats why i have many dozens of them.