Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Civil war relics with the Simplex

Posted by Xray 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Civil war relics with the Simplex
May 10, 2020 01:23AM
Don't know how these links are going to work, lets give it a try.
Been finding some civil war related items that you wouldn't expect in Michigan, so far the best if the Hardee eagle hat shield.

Simplex, which I just got a couple weeks ago, is detecting admirably, I like it. I still like me Ace 400 but gotta say, the simplex is certainly a few notches above the 400. Versatile machine, seeks fairly deep and lots of options. I have a Nox too but now is not the time to learn a new detector, gotta get while the gettings good ! Chances for relics like this here is MI are practically once in a lifetime. Most coinage I have found, such as the 1883 IHP, are really trashed. I think being underneath a street is not good for ferrous metal, all sorts of nasty stuff leeches down to them over the decades and really does a number on them. Still, am happy with a readable date, and I found more CW buttons in 2 days that I ever thought I'd find in a lifetime.

CW

cw2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2020 01:28AM by Xray.
Re: Civil war relics with the Simplex
May 10, 2020 05:08AM
congrats on the hat shield, very cool!
jeff
May 10, 2020 05:58AM
Jeff (or) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> congrats on the hat shield, very cool!
> jeff

Yeah too bad it wasn't intact, in otherwise very good condition. Unfortunately, I think I damaged it retrieving it cause its showing fresh copper right where its torn.
May 10, 2020 07:19AM
Great looking hat shield, nice find. HH jim tn
May 10, 2020 11:09AM
Great find!
May 10, 2020 03:45PM
In the cw2 photo...…. what is the numeral "1" looking item...…. in the very top of the picture? Aluminum? 1'st Infantry, 1'st Calvary...… possibly?
May 10, 2020 09:04PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> In the cw2 photo...…. what is the numeral "1" loo
> king item...…. in the very top of the picture? Alu
> minum? 1'st Infantry, 1'st Calvary...… possibly?

Yeah I know what you mean, does have that shape to it, its a busted hinge though
May 11, 2020 04:05AM
Great finds, congrats!
Man that place looks familiar....

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
May 11, 2020 05:18AM
Aaron Wrote:
> Great finds, congrats!
> Man that place looks familiar....

Would not be surprised if some recognize it, I have hit it pretty good for days and pretty soon, it will all be buried in concrete once again - But if you know, keep it on the down-low !

Saw a couple guys out there today for the 1st time, wasn't you was it ? I thought they'd be hostile to my presence, some guys give you a death stare if you have the nerve to intrude on "their territory", but these guys were cool and we talked for a while. 2 whole blocks getting ripped out in a historic district is bound to attract some attention of any guys with detectors in range.
Today BTW didn't find squat, I'm still going to try because its fun but I think its pretty well hit. Wish I would have got their earlier. this is really my first foray into relic hunting.
May 12, 2020 12:42AM
re: "pretty well hit". I am sooo glad that I tend not to listen to myself.
Went back today and found 3 nice buttons, I am elated, thrilled, over the moon, ecstatic. And this over ground I have been over multiple times, plus those other 2 guys hitting it, all missed these, and they were easy digs.

I found out what my problem was - I am used to fast recovery speeds swinging with the Ace 400, I am in a mode on the Simplex that is deep seeking but slow recovery. I was swinging too fast and these solid signals simply did not reach my ear. Once I slowed down it was a whole different ballgame, found these, another IHP, a couple wheats and some small scrap that easily could have been another button, so lesson learned - When you are at a spot known to produce, slow down your swings, or at least go with a faster recovery speed.

Any info on the buttons appreciated, the larger one obviously artillery, I am seen that pineapple before. The smaller one looks smooth at first glance but has a nice old school eagle.

cw3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2020 12:42AM by Xray.