Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Well the Treasure Depot is shutting down June 2nd

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Well the Treasure Depot is shutting down June 2nd
May 10, 2020 09:03PM
I saw a post by Larry Cissna on Facebook that he was going to shut it down on June 2nd after 22 years.
Re: Well the Treasure Depot is shutting down June 2nd
May 10, 2020 09:20PM
R.I.P.
May 10, 2020 09:23PM
It's been on the decline for sometime, the classifieds are the only active part of the forum.
May 10, 2020 10:29PM
Larry Cissna Hasn't posted in a while
or should I say made a video in a while

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2020 10:30PM by u2robert.
May 11, 2020 10:07AM
He banned several of us Virginians from using his forum after some DIV Hunts.
May 11, 2020 10:50AM
I think with FB and other avenues the Forums are going to be a thing of the past someday. It is just too easy to do things like post pictures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2020 10:52AM by Harold,ILL..
May 11, 2020 04:29PM
Are Treasure Net and Treasure Depot one in the same?
May 11, 2020 04:35PM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are Treasure Net and Treasure Depot one in the sam
> e?

No, two different forums.
May 11, 2020 06:14PM
Joe you best get out there Mr Ring Daddy.... seal the deal
May 12, 2020 01:15PM
I've bought and sold a lot of detectors on the 'Depot since I started out in 2004. I check it at least once a day. I will miss it if it goes away.

HH
Mike
May 12, 2020 04:41PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> I've bought and sold a lot of detectors on the 'De
> pot since I started out in 2004. I check it at l
> east once a day. I will miss it if it goes away.
>
> HH
> Mike

I see you picked up another
Golden Sabre II over there. It looked pretty clean too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2020 04:43PM by Harold,ILL..
May 13, 2020 04:22PM
Hi Harold,
Yes...I wanted another one for my Cleansweep coil. Right now I can run the Cleansweep coil with either a Cortes, a GSII, an Outlaw or a Compadre.

HH
Mike
May 13, 2020 04:52PM
It seemed to me that he was very quick on the ban button.
May 13, 2020 08:22PM
What really hurt the Treasure depot was White's dropping their forum sponsorship. Once Whites left, all the forum's participation started to fall and eventually died off except for a handful of dedicated members.

HH
Mike
May 13, 2020 09:44PM
Detectorist Wrote:
> It seemed to me that he was very quick on the ban
> button.

I got banned with a nasty response because I posted a link to the forum on my website. He wanted it removed.... And I surely remember him saying my website is a disgrace to the hobby, go figure................[www.treasurelinx.com]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
May 14, 2020 12:01AM
Quite a few years ago I done some wheeling and dealing with a couple well respected members of the detecting forums. I sold one fella a detector and another fella a coil. I made a mistake somehow and mixed up the packages, I realized my mistake before they received their packages and the one fella said no worries I will ship it out when it arrives to where it supposed to go. They guy that supposed to get the coil got the detector and the guy that was supposed to get the detector got the coil. Anywas I made a post on Larry's Depot forum about what a good honest person this fella was. Around 11:00 that night I got a call from Larry telling me not to ever mention this guy's name on his forum ever again, he was beyond mad he sounded like a maniac, yelling and cursing on the phone. I don't know what his problem was with that guy, but as far as I am concerned (and many others) he was/is an upstanding member on many detecting forums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2020 12:06AM by SkiWhiz.
May 14, 2020 02:56AM
I bought quite a few detectors off the Depot classifieds. Larry was incredibly quick to ban anyone he didn't like, and did so with open delight. And he seemed to hold permanent grudges. When White's stopped sponsoring, Larry deleted the White's forum. I offered to sponsor White's but he told me he didn't want them on his forums any longer. Shortly after that he banned me, the only forum I have ever been banned from.
May 14, 2020 02:59AM
I was cussed out by Larry and banned from there. So you know how I feel.....

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
May 14, 2020 04:12AM
Larry got into a big flurry of banning everybody that didn't suckle up to "the power teat". Back in the day I was very active on that forum and went on a couple of the hosts organized relic hunts. The first one was a great hunt. The second one, Larry put trust in another individual to scout/find new hunt locations in Virginia. The site was talked up to the point of everyone wanting to go to it. The place was 30 acres and was a bust. I've never been to a paid hunt where people voluntarily left the site by lunch the first day and didn't want to come back. I didn't find jack squat...a friggin lonesome buckey ball. I expected to come back home and the forum be filled with angry people because at lunch, the ones that were still there were very vocal about being unhappy. Instead...Larry was in competition with the Digging in VA hunts and couldn't admit to hosting a bust hunt. So he deleted all the negative posts about the hunt, and banned the people that complained from the forum and any future hunts. What I feel happened was, he himself had gotten "hoo dooed" by his scout that found the site but his pride wouldn't let him admit it. I didn't agree with how all that was handled and I still don't. I voluntarily banned myself from there.
May 14, 2020 10:21AM
Larry banned me for posting a Browning ammo/skeet pouch that I was using as a finds pouch. Apparently, he felt some of his paid sponsors might complain.
May 14, 2020 06:21PM
Larry is a total loon and loser. He created numerous users accounts to have fake users agree with him and to do his bidding.

tabman
May 14, 2020 11:01PM
All I can say is...BYE!

XP DEUS* NAUTILUS 2B WITH WHITES ROD CONVERSION* LESCHE PIRANAH* LESCHE DIGGER* THE BOMB SHEATH* GARRETT ZLYNK PP W/ WIRELESS HEADPHONES* OLDEST COIN 1776 2 REALE*
May 16, 2020 09:12PM
I've been on the depot since 99 when I started detecting, I didn't know it was shutting down, My treasure spot is shutting down too, Donnie Smith site, been going to that one since he started it, I don't know if any of you guys remember The Pit, that was pre 99, you guys have been a help to us guys that don't know computers or detecting, every year I pick up something new, a lot of guys are passing away that I talk to over the years, it funny, the first guy I talk to about detecting post here, Badger, it was on Norm's old page the Golden Olde, boy time has passed, TEX what is your new computer name!!
May 18, 2020 01:34PM
Hi Caretaker,
The Golden Olde. I haven't heard that one mentioned in a while. I enjoyed Norm's articles. I have his site mirrored on a USB stick around here somewhere. Another one I enjoyed reading was Allan Hassel. Probably mis-spelled his name. Australian beach hunter. His site dropped prior to 2008. I mirrored his site too so I wouldn't loose his articles.

Just saying.....if you have sites that have good content that you want to keep...like Tom's Dankowski's homepage articles, you should make an effort to copy or mirror or save the articles in your library.

HH
Mike
July 26, 2020 07:13AM
Good riddance. Larry is a con artist and sociopath. Two of his hunts were without the permission of the landowners, he paid the caretakers. The Crow's Nest hunt was shut down by law enforcement the first day, he eventually got his money back but the participants didn't. The number of people "banned for life" is probably over 100. He made a lot of money off of these hunts, for the most part they were okay hunts, but they could never match the DIV hunts for quality and quantity. In fact Larry passed on some of the DIV hunt sites because "there ain't nothing here." Well the Tejon had trouble in red dirt and couldn't perform like the low kHz White's or PI machines...oops! The best part was Larry accusing DIV organizers of planting relics...lol! Right, someone is going to spend weeks over several hundred acres planting $50-100,00 worth of relics. Larry was also trash talking Steve Sylvia on his site. I heard Steve took Larry aside at a relic show and gave him a talking to, witnesses described a very shook up Larry (think over-caffeinated Chihuahua) during this encounter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2020 07:15AM by Jeff Harris.
July 26, 2020 02:33PM
The classified section was OK. I used it quite a few times. The rest of it......I'll never miss.

There are only a few forums remaining dedicated to detecting. Social Media Platforms rule the internet. An ugly truth, but it is reality.
July 26, 2020 06:29PM
And I hope those few remaining forums survive, because FB and such are not good ways post information that may need to be retrieved and read by someone at a later date. The "forum" style of sharing information, with topics, threads, and posts, is a far superior way, in my opinion, to discuss detecting and detectors...

Steve
July 26, 2020 07:02PM
steveg Wrote:
> And I hope those few remaining forums survive, bec
> ause FB and such are not good ways post informatio
> n that may need to be retrieved and read by someon
> e at a later date. The "forum" style of sharing i
> nformation, with topics, threads, and posts, is a
> far superior way, in my opinion, to discuss detect
> ing and detectors...
>
> Steve

+1
July 26, 2020 07:06PM
steveg Wrote:
> ing and detectors...
>
> Steve

100% Agree!!
July 26, 2020 07:29PM
steveg Wrote:
> ing and detectors...
>
> Steve

It's up to us to keep forums going. Don't be a lurker. Join the forums you want to keep alive and post often.