Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher Impulse AQ Limited

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
No, this detector is a beast--it has all the best things about the TDI Pro (including the depth which might even be better) better audio and a lot more stable down in the low uSc ranges. Its gold optimized and has two kinds of iron rejection. Remarkable accomplishment--I know this machine is going to give me just the edge I need competing with top pros. Now it's up to me to learn.
cjc
Re: Fisher Impulse AQ Limited
June 16, 2020 01:43PM
Hot on gold is a great thing. Is it equally as hot on aluminum. I know that would be a tall order of separation thanks Mike
June 16, 2020 02:47PM
I don’t know how well it will separate gold and aluminum but what I do know is that gold and aluminum have different densities. So if you can concentrate on digging deeper targets then aluminum will become less of a problem.
June 16, 2020 03:46PM
Curious to see how it does inland on relics? Hint-hint, test videos anyone? If it even comes close to the GPX in depth and discrimination in a lighter package I'd think its well worth the price.
June 16, 2020 06:08PM
gman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hot on gold is a great thing. Is it equally as hot
> on aluminum. I know that would be a tall order of
> separation thanks Mike

it is also very sensitive on aluminum......

but, with identical dimensions
a zipper / coca box
and a gold ring of the same length

the sound is much faster / to cross the object
with a little practice
we clearly hear the difference

to the catch of the target
and when the target is released
up and down // sound
its much more brutal
that on gold / gold gives a stretching sound

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Detector used : Fisher Aquamanta /

Pulsepower Goldscan 5c / Aquastar / Goldquest SSV3 / Nexus Coronado / Vista Gold
June 17, 2020 01:50PM
Correst me if I am wrong but I think he is saying when you lift the coil the aluminum is quickly gone but a gold target sound remains for a greater distance above the target.
June 17, 2020 03:28PM
To me it sounds like he’s saying the aluminum tone is short and harsh while the gold tone is longer and smooth.
June 17, 2020 05:44PM
Shakydigger Wrote:
> To me it sounds like he’s saying the aluminum tone
> is short and harsh while the gold tone is longer a
> nd smooth.

YES, exactly that
sorry for my English..

identical height of coil
the sound
is faster
on aluminum

Pulsepower Goldscan 5c / Aquastar / Goldquest SSV3 / Nexus Coronado / Vista Gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2020 05:45PM by LE.JAG.
June 17, 2020 07:02PM
I'll admit I've never touched a PI detector in my life. They intrigue me, yet I'm a casual beach hunter, but an avid relic site and demo site hunter, thus for my purposes they have not yet made an impression on me as a need to have machine for the type of sites I hunt.

That said, this machine caught my interest when Le Jag's first videos showing his home made proto emerged, and it struck me as something different. Much like Ditmars' MDT8000, and the ML Equinox, something uniquely different, not another F75 variant, nor Garrett AT1/2/3, another beep and dig Tesoro, nor yet another White's with a new sticker and coil. Something that does something fundamentally different than all the other variations on a theme.

Will I buy one, I'm not sure. The price tag doesn't scare me away, but heck I don't even know if Rick would sell me one. I certainly have some relic sites with uber tough mineralization and iron and I bet this thing would tear them up. Would it be a better investment than the MDT8000? I don't know. It seems to be a different animal. Interesting that both are basically early release units with roughly the same price tags, and both are aimed (mainly) at the salt water beach crowd. We clearly need to see a head-to-head video of these two machines pitted against each other by an experienced user that can give a clear differentiation between the two units.

I look at it this way. Since I was a kid I've been a tech head, I've seen more prototypes of bad ass technology that never saw the light of day than any of you have owned detectors (Okay, maybe not George drinking smiley ), and I've often thought what a waste to make something really cool, and innovative, and for whatever reason, it never got the opportunity to be tried by the public and potentially shine as something truly new and innovative. I view this as one of those potential opportunities. Has FTP lost their thunder, I don't know, I certainly feel let down by FTP and their seeming lack of innovation for the past decade or so, they feel like a "washed up, has been" company" in the innovation dept. living off their stock piles of Bounty Hunters and ever diminishing priced rebranded F75/70 machines. Heck even Garrett pulled a rabbit out of their hat and surprised everyone with a new SMF machine with a better price tag than the EQ600.

Sure I can see this machine and the very, ah hem, unique roll out doesn't suit everyone, I get that. It's definitely atypical at best, but for those that understand what this unit is about, the progression of history that got it to where it is, and the potential it appears to possess, I don't think $1500 is a big pill to swallow. Heck one stimulus check and some extra clad and sofa change, and viola it's paid for.

Let's see how this shakes out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2020 08:47PM by Cal_cobra.
June 17, 2020 08:40PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> The nugget hunting version of the impulse – will not have the same sort discrimination function as the AQ. The two channel analysis of return signals will be used to provide a wide ranging ground balance function as opposed to being aligned in such a
> way that it can provide the kind of limited discrimination that the AQ provides.

Rick at the relic sites I hunt, some discrimination is paramount, so in your estimation would the Impulse AQ be the better machine for a relic site vs the Impulse Gold? Shame they couldn't make one unit that could simply switch modes, use it as a salt water beach machine w/disc, or a raw power PI machine for places like Culpepper. The sites I have in mind have heavy Alkali soil, which mimic harsh salt water beach conditions. The Equinox runs great there in beach mode (could be depth handicapped?), but in Field or Park mode, not so much.

That would indicate to me that the Impulse AQ would potentially tear it up at these sites. I feel that we are being exceedingly limited in depth due to the heavy Alkali soil conditions.
June 17, 2020 11:26PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> lytle78 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The nugget hunting version of the impulse – wil
> l not have the same sort discrimination function a
> s the AQ. The two channel analysis of return signa
> ls will be used to provide a wide ranging ground b
> alance function as opposed to being aligned in suc
> h a
> > way that it can provide the kind of limited disc
> rimination that the AQ provides.
>
> Rick at the relic sites I hunt, some discriminatio
> n is paramount, so in your estimation would the Im
> pulse AQ be the better machine for a relic site vs
> the Impulse Gold? Shame they couldn't make one un
> it that could simply switch modes, use it as a sal
> t water beach machine w/disc, or a raw power PI ma
> chine for places like Culpepper. The sites I have
> in mind have heavy Alkali soil, which mimic harsh
> salt water beach conditions. The Equinox runs gre
> at there in beach mode (could be depth handicapped
> ?), but in Field or Park mode, not so much.
>
> That would indicate to me that the Impulse AQ woul
> d potentially tear it up at these sites. I feel t
> hat we are being exceedingly limited in depth due
> to the heavy Alkali soil conditions.

it all depends on what you call: relic
lead flintlock rifle bullets?
in rejection mode / when you start
to cut the iron = we also cut the lead ....

You can fully cut the flintlock bullet
and always take the gold ring // or the gold coin ......

A detector goes everywhere / beach / relic / nugget
was possible
but with compromises
history to prove that when compromises are made
we lose performance
the Manta project / from the start
is a detector for a target type
no compromise for maximum performance ..

flintlock bullet at the beach ((all metal))
battle against the english 1758

June 18, 2020 05:41AM
LE.JAG Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > lytle78 Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > The nugget hunting version of the impulse – w
> il
> > l not have the same sort discrimination function
> a
> > s the AQ. The two channel analysis of return sig
> na
> > ls will be used to provide a wide ranging ground
> b
> > alance function as opposed to being aligned in s
> uc
> > h a
> > > way that it can provide the kind of limited di
> sc
> > rimination that the AQ provides.
> >
> > Rick at the relic sites I hunt, some discriminat
> io
> > n is paramount, so in your estimation would the
> Im
> > pulse AQ be the better machine for a relic site
> vs
> > the Impulse Gold? Shame they couldn't make one
> un
> > it that could simply switch modes, use it as a s
> al
> > t water beach machine w/disc, or a raw power PI
> ma
> > chine for places like Culpepper. The sites I ha
> ve
> > in mind have heavy Alkali soil, which mimic hars
> h
> > salt water beach conditions. The Equinox runs g
> re
> > at there in beach mode (could be depth handicapp
> ed
> > ?), but in Field or Park mode, not so much.
> >
> > That would indicate to me that the Impulse AQ wo
> ul
> > d potentially tear it up at these sites. I feel
> t
> > hat we are being exceedingly limited in depth du
> e
> > to the heavy Alkali soil conditions.
>
>
> it all depends on what you call: relic
> lead flintlock rifle bullets?
> in rejection mode / when you start
> to cut the iron = we also cut the lead ....
>
> You can fully cut the flintlock bullet
> and always take the gold ring // or the gold coin
> ......
>
> A detector goes everywhere / beach / relic / nugge
> t
> was possible
> but with compromises
> history to prove that when compromises are made
> we lose performance
> the Manta project / from the start
> is a detector for a target type
> no compromise for maximum performance ..
>
>
> flintlock bullet at the beach ((all metal))
> battle against the english 1758
>
>

LE JAG thanks for your response, and love the gold rings in your photo smileys with beer

I'm personally not really after lead balls smiling smiley I have enough 3-ringers (hundreds of them) to satisfy my curiosity, but when you cut lead, you also typically cut gold, and gold coins I do like very much thumbs down

I have sites that I suspect this machine would clean house, one is a heavy Alkali soil site, a great site really, one that really handicaps VLF machines. It's loaded with 3-ringers (U.S. Civil War era lead), and their fun to find, but not my primary interest now that I have so many. My primary interest is finding coins, buttons, buckles, and other conductors. I believe this detector would make child's play of the heavy Alkali salt mineralized soil, with the added benefit of cutting through the iron. That would be a big win/win for my purposes. I have a few others such sites which would likely benefit from such a machine as well, and I would love to try your detector at these sites.
July 17, 2020 09:28PM
Some info posted by Steve Herschbach (others have input also) concerning his limited AQ model unit and calibration.
[www.detectorprospector.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2020 09:34PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 18, 2020 02:43AM
I read that and thought it was very enlightening.
July 23, 2020 09:00PM
Looks like Steve Herschbach has modified his AQ limited somewhat for use.

This is btw more or less how the unlimited unit should be setup if it ever releases.
I commented some time ago on using more common battery.
I like the batteries Tarsacci uses.

lytle78 Wrote:
> So - tnss - you might have come upon the solution.

I was just thinking out loud.
Seems these days when it comes to lithium kinda batteries.
Better to build detector to fit the batteries, NOT build the battery for the detector.

Good common type battery that has good proven track record for no leaks, no explosions, no fires.

[www.detectorprospector.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2020 09:08PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 24, 2020 12:57PM
Have they shipped more than 8 white whales yet?
July 24, 2020 01:00PM
Yes

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
July 24, 2020 01:18PM
Whats the count Rick??? Waiting to see some real user videos?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2020 01:19PM by calabash digger.
cjc
August 09, 2020 10:22PM
It's pretty rare that you're going to see a high performance machine that does not have some trade-offs. The AQ is no exception. It's upside far outweighs any of these "glitches". I was fortunate enough to be given the chance to give this machine a try and knew that it was in development. Given this I'm seeing a deep pulse machine that has the added feature of rejecting some iron. I can think of days where I was in the best area of a site--where all the spikes are carried (along with the gold) and unable to get a thing with whatever pulse I had that day. All of the dozen or so machines I have on hand at a given time are for specific applications--this is the AQ's--the depth and optimization of a pulse--with some iron rejection. Unless I find out that there are extreme problems with this detector in salt water--problems that a small coil or factory damping change cant address--Im better than good with it. cjc
August 09, 2020 11:00PM
I agree Clive there are trade offs with every machine especially salt water ones.... because it’s a real equalizer. It’s also difficult to judge depth out there ... sometimes there’s just to much sand no matter the machine. We have more than one machine like you said because conditions dictates the need. Enjoy the machine and keep us updated
OBN
August 10, 2020 04:45AM
calabash digger Wrote:
> Whats the count Rick??? Waiting to see some real u
> ser videos?

I would consider myself a real user. Here's a few video's....
Like you, I would like to see a few more sharing "something".

I'm setting at 15 gold with the AQ ..since late May...fall and winter comes the AQ will see a lot more action...crazy weather messing me up on my gold count the past few weeks with the Excal and AQ.. sad smiley

Gold Signet..
[www.youtube.com]

Gold Medallion.... Sorry, some poor pinpointing on this one..
[www.youtube.com]

1964 Class ring
[www.youtube.com]

A friend of mine......... who wants to remain anonymous will be getting his AQ this week. So they are moving (slowly) but not many showing them ..??? ..For sure it is best used as a deep PI (then) Disc if needed.....Nothing to replace your discrimination machine. Me...I carefully explore the spots I hunt with my excal then go in with the AQ where I feel it is needed or will do best,....... then there are places I would not dare.

Over all I'm still very excited to go out with it..Not the do all, end all, machine but it's what I have been looking for and it fits the part perfect.. smiling smiley

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
August 10, 2020 09:37AM
Joe, im as confused as you are about the lack of info being shared. However, ive seen the same thing with the MDT. I dont know if people want to keep it quiet until they know the unit, just dont like the bashing they get, or just dont want them out there on their beach. I know my MDT was number 28, many more have been shipped since..... but here we are ive only heard of a handful using or saying much. This is Summer.....best time to be testing these machines on the beach. Many may be waiting on the real deal production model which seems to be slowed by this dang virus which have been devastating in so many ways. Thus far i dont think anyone can complain about the reviews being done on this machine either.
August 10, 2020 08:34PM
Three more shipped last week.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
August 11, 2020 04:50PM
cjc [ PM ]
August 09, 2020 02:22PM Registered: 4 years ago

The AQ is no exception. It's upside far outweighs any of these "glitches". Given this I'm seeing a deep pulse machine that has the added feature of rejecting some iron. I can think of days where I was in the best area of a site--where all the spikes are carried (along with the gold) and unable to get a thing with whatever pulse I had that day. --this is the AQ's--the depth and optimization of a pulse--with some iron rejection. . cjc

Could you expand on what those upsides and glitches are? Iron rejection: Are specking up to certain size? Was the AQ able to reject the spikes?

Thanks,

El
August 11, 2020 05:00PM
OBN Wrote:
>
> A friend of mine......... who wants to remain anon
> ymous will be getting his AQ this week. So they ar
> e moving (slowly) but not many showing them ..???
> ..For sure it is best used as a deep PI (then) Dis
> c if needed.....Nothing to replace your discrimina
> tion machine. Me...I carefully explore the spots I
> hunt with my excal then go in with the AQ where I
> feel it is needed or will do best,....... then the
> re are places I would not dare.
>
> Over all I'm still very excited to go out with it.
> .Not the do all, end all, machine but it's what I
> have been looking for and it fits the part perfect
> .. smiling smiley

Hi Joe,

I sure would like to see some comparison result between the AQ and MDT. Hopefully your friend has both and can you some comparison information which you could share. I'm sure it would be welcomed by quite a few of us.

You also stated there are places you would not dare to hunt with the AQ. What type of place would that be?

Thanks,

El
OBN
August 11, 2020 07:05PM
Hi Elbert, Hope you are well my friend. On the MTD compare to the "AQ"..right now not much I can do but I do know as more "AQ"'s get out there some will be in the hands of MTD owners.

Places I would not dare take the "AQ" would be spots that are extremely trashy. Once we get the smaller 8 inch coil that may change at some spots.

Here is a list I did for someone asking about hunting with the AQ on the beach's I hunt.
Hidden Names but this list was sent to someone on Steves forum..

beach name .... would I hunt
Xxxxxxx.................yes..........currently hunting 4 gold
XXXXXX................deep yes........currently hunting ,,3 gold
Xxxx beach...........areas.. ...not hunted yet but waiting till winter..should be Ok, small coil would be perfect
XXXXxxx xxxw..............no...........not hunted yet but way to much trash
Xxxx XXd.................areas..........out deep possible, not hunted yet
Xxxxx beach...............no.....to much trash in close
Xxxx XXXXXX.............areas...............but not hunted yet
Xxxxx's...................yes.................but not hunted yet
XXxxxx...................areas..........but not hunted yet
Xxxxx Xxxx................yes.......disc works ok here 6 gold so far
Xxxx Xxxxxe................no.............to many targets
XxxxXXxxxx................yes..............all deep 2 gold here

A few weeks back some one ask how many of the gold rings I have found with the AQ would the excalibur had found ...that hunt, the first ring of the day..excalibur would had never found, that ring caused me to stop, go slow and listen..2 of the other golds the excalibur would have found..the class I'm not sure. So I would say out of the 15 golds found with the AQ this year..about half would have been found using the excalibur, in PP / All Metal with the head set I use.. I feel someone using a stock excalibur would have only got a few of what the AQ has found.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
August 11, 2020 10:51PM
Very interesting - I think their gold unit should be called 'Impulse AU Unlimited' - lol

Do you think by having such a slow & limited roll out might just give their competition time to bring their own DEEP PI to market?

We have seen how a fantastic newish manufacturer can manage to release earth-shattering products in quick succession, so having this type of unusual release could be playing into the hands of their competition.

What do you guys think? -

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
August 11, 2020 11:53PM
Right now ML rules without an awesome PI.... and they are working on a flagship. I mean they have the Xcal, CTX and Nox. I’m not sure they need to invest in a PI yet. They just don’t see them as a daily use machine yet with bulk profit.... they are attracting the average hunter a selling several units.
August 12, 2020 12:32AM
As a prior owner with around 100 hours on the MDT, my belief is the Excal in pinpoint mode will find more than the MDT on the beaches that I hunt. I also own a Whites Dual Field and it is my belief the MDT is not deeper than it.

Like I said, the beach I know very well and with the limited hours on the MDT. I did not do head to head test but I could not hear a deep target on the MDT which a friend found with the Excal. I sold mine since I did not see any advantage.

I can't wait to get the AQ. I am on Rick's list and should be one of the next 20 sales.
August 12, 2020 08:52AM
The Nox isnt as deep as a PI like the DF thats not even up for debate. But it offers what a PI does not.....good disc, TID and change of coils. There are those who dig it all even the iron, but the average digger wants disc. and thats what was attractive and unique about the AQ. You take a PI to a trasy beach and you are going to have a real bad day. Time vs payout that day wont be worth it...... not to mention, digging 20" holes continuously all day takes it tole on the ole body. During recent drop times here...... a PI isnt the best choice for a daily user you need to cover some sand/water and not be digging a lot of trash. Obviously thats my opinion and a PI user may disagree. The AQ offers some disc which is much better than what we had...... we will see what it produces. Im sure those who get one will be more than happy with its performance. PIs are still niche machines for beach hunting.... there is a time and place to use them.... because there are trade offs.

Charles where are you located? Here in Fl? If you are and ya get one let me know ... ill give you some time on it then we can do some target comparisons in the water. Bring that Xcal along ....we can compare it as well. I have to say it will be interesting to see how well the AQ does in our mild mineralized sand. The depth between most PIs and the VLFs we now have isnt that much different here in Fl......but the AQ should really be deep.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2020 09:24AM by dewcon4414.