Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

George Payne’s Masterpiece The Mark 1 LTD

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
George Payne’s Masterpiece The Mark 1 LTD
June 20, 2020 03:40AM
I thought I’d put the batteries back in (all 14AA’s LOL) of them, into my old Mark 1 LTD and do a quick demo of this beautiful old machine, hope ya like it!

[forums.tarsaccisales.com]

Aaron

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2020 03:41AM by Aaron.
Re: George Payne’s Masterpiece The Mark 1 LTD
June 20, 2020 04:10AM
This was a truly revolutionary machine. It was used by many "faithful", for the next ~20 yrs. A trip down memory lane. It's still even competitive today.
June 20, 2020 10:38AM
Wow! That machine can talk! Looks like it would be a great park/school machine.
June 20, 2020 11:29AM
Yes they were way ahead of their time. I heard some say they got good depth in mild ground. I wonder how high you could lift the coil and still get a hit and if it modulates?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2020 01:54PM by Harold,ILL..
June 20, 2020 12:18PM
I just sold mine,super mint to a friend. I still have his Treasure Barons with my favorite being the SST.
June 24, 2020 05:07PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This was a truly revolutionary machine. It was used by many "faithful", for the next ~20 yrs. A trip down memory lane. It's still even competitive today.

Mike Walding, a legendary bay area detectorists has something that looks exactly the same, but it may be the Teknetics Condor. He loves it, says it has some of the best TID audio of any machine ever made, goes deep, and he digs less trash with it. He used to use it in club competition hunts with a bigfoot coil. He still uses it with the bigfoot coil, and he just picked up an EQ800.
The Mark 1 LTD
June 25, 2020 04:06AM
Enjoy the walk down memory lane Aaron. thumbs down

I had 2 Mark I's, both hip-mount versions. My first discriminating detector. A great, but very heavy, detector. The hip-mount helped with the weight, but i made a lot of replacement cables for the pinpoint switch due to flex wear and tear.

The White's 6000 Di 3 and then Di Pro were the 'thing' to have in my area at the time. But I loved the audio target ID. Found a lot of silver dimes with that bad boy. thumbs down Grateful they came with an onboard rechargeable battery system. (NiCad's) Fourteen AA batteries is a lot. I used to keep alkaline spares in my carry case.

Glad the industry has been able to miniaturize much of the detector these days. I don't think i could swing some of those old detectors I used to 30-35 years ago.

Rich

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Re: The Mark 1 LTD
June 25, 2020 08:37AM
I just sold my mint LTD to a friend. Got my first mark one in the late 80's. It was all the rage in Richmond for the relic hunters. Used it for many years in Delaware till the battery tray tabs started to fall out. No problem. Some foil did the trick. I still have 3 different Treasure baron detectors by George.
June 26, 2020 02:06AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
>
> Mike Walding, a legendary bay area detectorists ha
> s something that looks exactly the same, but it ma
> y be the Teknetics Condor. ....

Yes, this was something different. But in the same "ahead of its time" class.

I got a chance to correspond with George Payne personally, back when he used to chime in on a particular forum . And got to ask him personally about the "Condor". From what I gather, it was a hybrid. And never sold too many. But as for the harmonics and sounds, I think it was similar. Our friend Mike got lucky and got one of those that got off the assembly line. And yes, it wasn't till the 2010's that he finally saw anything that could outhunt that Condor in SF turf : The Explorer. And trust me: It wasn't by much. It was very close. That says quite a lot that 25+ yrs. could go by and nothing parallel an electronic device ! Don't you wish you could go back and time and have one of those, back when everything was essentially virgin ? Doh !
June 26, 2020 09:12AM
Only have to go to my closests or under beds to do that.
June 26, 2020 11:10AM
I think I saw a Condor on eBay just recently? Wasn't it a 3 filter machine?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2020 11:11AM by Harold,ILL..
June 26, 2020 04:49PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Wasn't it a 3 filter machine?

Yes
June 29, 2020 09:52PM
Aaron, 'Thank You' for a nice walk down 'memory lane' and I was glad to know that choice-condition Mark I Ltd. was going to a home of a caring individual. Too many 'newcomers' don't know about, thus don't have an appreciation for, some of the really nice detectors we have enjoyed through the decades-past. It was nice seeing and hearing it again.

Monte
June 30, 2020 12:11AM
My pleasure Monte, and your very welcome!

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”