Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A question about the Impulse aq limited.

Posted by Shakydigger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A question about the Impulse aq limited.
June 26, 2020 01:54AM
So being that there are only one hundred units available and production of these units are taking some time, is it safe to assume they are being hand built and hand tuned? Maybe the first limited run will be of a higher quality than the regular production run? I’ve seen this happen in other products.
Re: A question about the Impulse aq limited.
June 26, 2020 12:58PM
They have already told you these units will have issues that need to be corrected in later units.

The first 100 units fiasco is a prototype being sold to help them raise cash or figure out what they need to do.

CAN YOU SAY TOM TUNED CZ3D? Yeah fisher is notorious for high quality tuned machines straight from the factory..... (NOT!)
June 26, 2020 01:23PM
Perhaps a comment on all the LEAKING OBNOXES would be enlighting for the unwashed??????
June 26, 2020 02:07PM
calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They have already told you these units will have i
> ssues that need to be corrected in later units.
>
> The first 100 units fiasco is a prototype being so
> ld to help them raise cash or figure out what they
> need to do.
>
> CAN YOU SAY TOM TUNED CZ3D? Yeah fisher is notorio
> us for high quality tuned machines straight from t
> he factory..... (NOT!)

Correction First Texas did not Fisher. Fisher had it down ask Tom if you don't believe Me. The new ones are hit and miss or they were as I have a FT model right after buy out that is a 12.1" unit.
June 26, 2020 05:48PM
Wonder what kind a cut Ole Rick gets for selling?
Shouldn’t have to be a secret, since only one dealer. No competition.
Just curious?
June 26, 2020 06:13PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Wonder what kind a cut Ole Rick gets for selling?
> Shouldn’t have to be a secret, since only one deal
> er. No competition.
> Just curious?

I would say it is none of your business. JMHO
June 26, 2020 07:08PM
"Ole Rick" probably gets better compensated for his work than do the "consultants" to the detector manu.
June 26, 2020 07:18PM
TNSS - I seem to remember that your BIG hobby is archery, and if I remember right, you are a competition winning participant. With that level of involvement, you are probably well aware of the Manufacturer, distributor, dealer price buildup and the percentages along the way. Might be fascinating if you posted all you know about that, then we can have a nice chat about how I am doing this for “Peanuts”.

I am a dealer. I purchase the unit from Fisher at a “dealer price” and when I am paid by my customer, I order Fisher to ship direct from El Paso. The difference between what I pay and $1499 is my gross margin.

The Dealer price for the AQ was set before the whole Limited thing arose. Also, the MSRP/MAP was pretty well set within some few hundred $. When Tom Walsh decided to go ahead with the Fisher Impulse AQ “A” he cut the sales price pretty much in half. He lowered my “dealer price” by $50. I am pretty much paying for the good deal out of my margin!!!

I was not pleased, but the chance to manage the launch as the sole dealer and take the responsibility for distribution - especially critical to the first buyers was a chance not to be missed.

When the Impulse AQ “B” reaches the market, the price will be correct based on normal mark up from cost of production plus recovery of $$$$ of “non-recurring-engineering” spent on the design and development . At that point, the dealers (and there will clearly be more than one) will have a much nicer margin than I have on the LImited. At that point my hope is that my close connection with all levels of the Fisher organization will make me an attractive choice among the various ways of buying one.

And then there will be the Impulse Gold - not a niche machine - hopefully a real “hell raiser” in the world wide gold prospecting market. Plan to get a piece of that too.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2020 07:25PM by lytle78.
June 26, 2020 07:54PM
Rick,
I think you are doing the manufacturer a favor the way I see it. Kudos to you.
Maybe they will make more than a 100 of the units if folks keep requesting.

Dealing with people can be a joy, can be a PITA too.
June 26, 2020 08:37PM
To address the original question....

Yes, parts of this thing are in fact hand built, including especially the coils. One minor error in wrapping the conductors can make the hole coil useless. Every AQ unit is end item tested for compliance in its completed form. Pressure, performance on test targets in every operational mode - the works. Just like every other detector out there ....NOT.

Now that sounds great I guess, but the hard work with the Impulse AQ “A” model will be to truly qualify the production process so that normal statistical quality control can be employed. It’s REALLY hard. Fisher has never produced a device which has such tight tolerances before. Happily it’s not a dozen or more trimmers like on the CZ series, but just extreme care in assembly. Their recent purchase of a VERY expensive 3 or 4 axis automated imaging inspection device is one step to ensuring quality built in rather than inspected in.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
June 26, 2020 09:47PM
Looks like First Texas really is in it to win it.
June 26, 2020 10:03PM
But Ole' Cals Crystal ball said they next to go?
June 27, 2020 01:11AM
Cals crystal ball has a leak in it like his beloved Nox(s). LOL HH jim tn
June 27, 2020 01:48AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> But Ole' Cals Crystal ball said they next to go?

FT ain't goin under---no way!!!
June 27, 2020 01:08PM
Home Run Jim.