Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ 20/21 question

Posted by VBLonnie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ 20/21 question
June 29, 2020 04:12PM
For saltwater beach use, is there noticeable depth difference between all metal and disc mode? Thanks.
Re: CZ 20/21 question
June 29, 2020 05:26PM
I've owned a CZ20 since 1998. I have done quite a few tests in the wet sand on buried targets over the years. At ocean beaches, All metal is deeper than Disc on targets that ID as non-ferrous.

The key thing about the CZ20/21 is that deep non-ferrous targets will give low tones or partial low tones if the target is near the edge of detection. These non-ferrous low tones get the same depth as All Metal. With practice, you can easily tell on most targets which low tones are non-ferrous just by the way they sound, and by doing a target profile for size and density. I have dug many deep gold rings that were low tones. If you get a deep low tone and the signal is very small and dense, it has a high likelihood of being non-ferrous. Iron will usually have a wider and rougher tone. This only happens at saltwater beaches and will not happen on land and/or freshwater. Away from the salt environment, you will not get low tones on non-ferrous targets. The CZ20/21 is way deeper on the wet sand than it is on land.

If you get a deep low tone that you think might be a ring, scraping away the top two inches of sand with your foot might give you some mid or high tone if the target is non-ferrous.

All Metal does have a slightly wider signal instead of just a short beep which might allow you to pick up targets on the edge of your sweep that might be missed in Disc but the difference is so insignificant that I hunt in 0 Disc 90% of the time.

Edited 13 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2020 06:21PM by Badger in NH.
June 29, 2020 09:18PM
Thank you Mr. Badger. Your info is much appreciated.

Lonnie
June 30, 2020 11:18AM
These old articles "The secrets of finding the deep ones" by Norm Garnush explain the technique more deeply. [thesilverfiend.com]

I had forgotten that the non-ferrous low tones might be possible on land in some highly mineralized ground. It is less likely to occur if your ground is mineral-free like where I am. It is the minerals in the ground and the salt in the ocean sand that extend the depth capability of the CZ20/21.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2020 05:21PM by Badger in NH.
June 30, 2020 12:04PM
Badger,

Thanks for the link. Printed some out and will have something to read/study at bedtime.
July 02, 2020 01:15AM
Badger, how did you find Norm's articles, I love reading his stories, he passed way to young sad smiley
July 02, 2020 07:26AM
Caretaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Badger, how did you find Norm's articles, I love r
> eading his stories, he passed way to young sad smiley

I just Googled "The Golden Olde" and it came up on Silverfiends site. It's cool that he took the time to save Norm's work.

Here are all his articles. [thesilverfiend.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2020 07:28AM by Badger in NH.