Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

5" coil on CZ-3D bad?

Posted by ECACE 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
5" coil on CZ-3D bad?
June 17, 2007 05:29AM
Tom,

First off, thank you for all the work you put into the DVD. I got it a couple months ago and have watched it many times.

Now for the question:
I have a CZ3D that I bought new 1.5 years ago, then 6 months later I got the 10.5" coil and have no problems with either of those coils (8 or 10.5). Now, just last week I got the 5" coil and I think I may have a bad coil. Using the 5" coil, I can not get it to GB at all, either by using the button or the bobbing method. I have tried it at multiple sites and get the same response, but if I put on the 8 or 10.5, they GB with no problem (GB at around 5).

With the 5" attached, using the bobbing method, I can turn it from 10 to 1, as I move from 10 down, whenever the coil is leaving the ground pulling up, I hear a decreasing freq. By the time I get to 1, there is still a small negative freq shift heard, but can not get it to ballance or go positive. If I use the button method, I have the coil about 2 feet off the ground, GB @ 10, press the button, and have silence. As the coil touches the ground, still silence, I can turn the GB from 10 to 1 with the button pressed in and it stays silent.

The coil does work though, as using it today I was able to find a couple goodies, but this GB issue really bothers me and the return window is only a few more days. Therefore I would really appreciate your thought of wheather you feel it is bad or not?

Thanks again for any help you may offer.

Eric
Re: 5" coil on CZ-3D bad?
June 18, 2007 01:30AM
Hi Eric,

.... Want you to perform a unique test. Install factory coil (probably 8" coil) on the CZ-3D,,,, and air-test about 50 nickels in the "enhanced" mode. Write down (and keep seperated) the nickels that register as 'nickel' and the ones that report as 'round pull-tab". Keep them seperated. NOW........ install the 5" coil on the detector. Perform the exact same test. If only 1 or 2 nickels read differently..... the coil may be okay. If 3 (or more) nickels read differently... the coil is confirmed defective.

..... It already sounds like you have a confirmed 'defective' coil. BUT.... try this test also.

Sincerely,

Tom
June 19, 2007 03:14AM
Tom,

I took 50 Jefferson nickles just now and ran a couple tests.

Test 1: Stock 8" coil

While in Enhanced mode, ALL read round pull tab, no exceptions.
While in Salt mode, ALL read as nickle, no exceptions.

Test 2: 5" coil

While in Enhanced mode, ALL read round pull tab, no exceptions
While in Salt mode, 37 read consitantly as FOIL, 13 jumped between FOIL and Nickle!

That last part was surprising to me, I would have expected all to read as nickle like on the 8" coil, not most as FOIL. The ones that read FOIL were very consistant, not bouncing around. The ones that read as nickle would sometimes jump to FOIL, but pretty much stayed as Nickle. I did notice that the 13 were newer nickles with very little circulation, the rim of the coins were still sharp and well defined.

Given these test results, what would you say?

Thanks for your help.

Eric
June 20, 2007 01:41AM
Hmmmm...... Sounds like we have identified TWO problems. The 5" coil certainly does not match the consistent results you acquired with the 8" coil. Imped. mis-match w/5" coil. Also, your CZ-3D is not calibrated properly. One Hundred New nickels (never exposed to dirt) should read/ID as "Round-Tab" 20% - 35%. All of the other new nickels (65% - 80%) should ID as "Nickel". This is normal for a CZ-3D in the "enhanced" mode...... when calibrated properly.
.... This prompts another concern. IF, IF, IF you have access to a United States "Half-Eagle" (( $5.00 )) gold coin,,,,, it needs to ID as "Zinc Penny" in the enhanced mode. This test will only test the high-end of the Zinc window.... and leaves the lower end (transition point) of the Zinc window as untested/unknown.

Sincerely,

Tom
June 20, 2007 02:16AM
Tom,

Thanks for your input and help. I don't have a Half-Eagle to test it with. I will have to look into having it recalibrated then.

Eric
July 06, 2007 07:14PM
Tom,

I recieved the replacement 5" coil yesterday, and it ground balanced perfectly. There was definately something wrong with the first on. Thanks again for all of your help.

Eric
July 06, 2007 10:50PM
Eric,

That's great news. Now..... you have THREE new babies needing attention!

Tom