Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher 1266 Video I have done

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Fisher 1266 Video I have done
August 08, 2020 11:50AM
Yep I always woundored about that coin hoard Aquachigger and whatever his name is found? I mean wouldn't the government say that belongs to us as lost during the war? Or what about taxes on it? What about the land owner surely he would want a share as no one that friendly when it comes to that amount of money? Seems no matter how much glory you want not worth putting it out there?
August 08, 2020 06:53PM
Arkansas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Posting online is evidence. Be careful.....too man
> y searching to legally or illegally take your find
> s or hunting sites. Dont get me wrong, we should h
> unt legally. However, if I were to post that I fou
> nd $20 on 10th Street.....least 50 people would cl
> aim it. Does anyone here remember when TH and auth
> or Karl Von Mueller house got broke into???......t
> oo many details, including addresses in his books.
> Stay safe.

Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Yep I always woundored about that coin hoard Aquac
> higger and whatever his name is found? I mean woul
> dn't the government say that belongs to us as lost
> during the war? Or what about taxes on it? What ab
> out the land owner surely he would want a share as
> no one that friendly when it comes to that amount
> of money? Seems no matter how much glory you want
> not worth putting it out there?

These kinds of fears that we md'rs are supposed to have, has me chuckling

The fears that if we post show & tell bragging rights , that :

1) Strangers will pop out of the wood-work saying "that's mine !" (the ring, the buckle, the cache, etc...)

2) The govt. (IRS) will show up at your doorstep demanding taxes

3) govt. people or private property owners will show up at your doorstep saying "hey ! you found that on our/my land, give the entire thing to me"

4) Surely thieves will target my house for a burglary if I post goodies for show & tell atteboys , eh ?

5) Surely other md'rs will follow me around, find out my sites, and poach my sites !

Therefore, tsk, tsk, let's all be hermits . No one post their bragging rights.

Seriously ? C'mon ! The md'ing forums are FILLED with show & tell. Sometimes even some very valuable stuff ! Sometimes even caches ! And seriously, are all those guys having their sites poached ? Are all those guys having mysterious men in trench coats, showing up at their doors, saying "give it to me " ? Are all those guys having their houses burglarized ?

No, of course not ! Instead the forums are FILLED with show & tell. Gee, I guess all those guys "didn't get the memo".
August 08, 2020 07:57PM
To go out with friends and hunt (and not put on internet) isnt exactly hermit like. Just be smart. The internet is worldwide. Some public sites here have been closed because of bragging to the broader public. You can be a respectful hunter, but when one finds something of interest (and ends up in the local Newspaper) the flood gates open.......other hunters might not fill in their holes or pick up their trash. Watched a video last week of one renovating his house (puts it on Tube videos).....one of his videos he took the time to talk about people now stalking the location and vandalism. Its not about conspiracy or being a hermit...LOL. Social Media is the opposite of privacy.....its a trade off. Its not a sin to be vague about your location.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2020 08:00PM by Arkansas.
August 08, 2020 08:41PM
Don't ever underestimate the IRS as you might think you are getting away with something then 5 years later you get a knock on your door and not only owe money but 5 years worth of penalties. They are not stupid people they'll let it build up first as I know people it has
happened too.
August 08, 2020 08:50PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Don't ever underestimate the IRS as you might thin
> k you are getting away with something ....

Harold, can you cite for us a SINGLE incident of when the IRS ever monitored any of our geeky md'ing forums, and came after any md'rs show-&-tell ? I'm sure that since it's imminent , that you have some examples. Right ? Ok then: links ?
August 08, 2020 11:10PM
Didn't Mel Fisher have to pay a lot of Taxes on one them ship wreck finds? Didn't he have to fight it in court or something? I am talkin' big finds like hoards dude like I mention on my first post not couple silver coins.
August 09, 2020 12:18AM
Loose lips sink ships
August 09, 2020 02:00AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Didn't Mel Fisher have to pay a lot of Taxes on on
> e them ship wreck finds? Didn't he have to fight i
> t in court or something? I am talkin' big finds li
> ke hoards dude like I mention on my first post not
> couple silver coins.

If you were talking the "mel fisher" caliber stuff, then I stand corrected. There has been persons who say this supposed fear exists for even bread & butter caches. Or the beach guys that post an annual ring tally, and proudly announce they got such & such $$ at the refiners, etc.... If you only meant the Mel Fisher caliber stuff, then .... I stand corrected.

And Mel Fisher, with all the investors, teams of divers, etc... involved, would have had no way to have "sold off in little quantities to escape publicity". It was a corporate level endeavor. And although the taxes were probably no fun, yet .... thank God it went public. Because millions of history buffs have enjoyed the museum, the history, etc... So his "burden of taxes" was no more painful than any of us business owners, who likewise "don't like taxes". But it's a cost of business sad smiley

But again : If you didn't mean the MD'ing forum caliber of show & tell, I stand corrected. I thought we were still on the subject of the "mysterious hermits who shun md'ing forums, clubs, friends, etc...". And as such, I thought your IRS fear was along the same caliber. Believe it or not, there's been posts by people who do-indeed think that the IRS "monitors forums" waiting to "pounce on md'rs who find valuables". And as you can probably imagine: The IRS has bigger fish to fry, and doesn't sit around and read geeky md'ing forums.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2020 02:03AM by Tom_in_CA.
August 09, 2020 02:13AM
u2robert Wrote:
> Loose lips sink ships

Then the solution is :

a) Just post the show & tell without saying the exact location (if you're afraid of poachers).

b) If you're afraid of the IRS, then you need-not-say when it's sold (because it's not taxable till turned into cash, if I'm not mistaken).

c) And as for the "thieves targeting your house" : This has always amused me. Because let's face it: If someone on a forum found a coin worth thousands, and gleefully posts it. Or finds jars of silver coins worth thousands, etc... And even assuming someone could track down his home address via his forum avetar name (let's just say, for sake of argument), then presto: Someone might think that there's such & such, worth thousands, in that house. Right ? But doesn't anyone see how silly this is ? If a thief was that hell-bent on trying to discern which-house on the block potentially "has more money", he doesn't even need to go through all that trouble. All he has to do is drive down the street, and merely see what's parked in the driveway. For example : If one house has the Ford Pinto and the beat up Ford Ranger. And the next house has the brand new Lexus and the the late Model brand new truck, then: Guess which house is better to mark for a burglary ? So "browsing md'ing forums for the best-house to knock over", is NOT what thieves do. If assessing "who has wealth" is the objective, then browsing md'ing forums is the last method a thief is going to use.

If I'm wrong, then: A simple look down the pages of forums, gives all of us an immediate sense of the hot-shots among us, right ? We've seen coins posted with great value. Even some caches. Great fun ! Ok, if you were to interview all those people, I'd venture to say that NONE of them were "targets of theft" . At least no-more-so than anyone else in their neighborhood in random acts (ie.: there would be no way to trace that to "someone on the forum saw my post" blah blah)

So there's precautions that people can take, and still post their trophies in show & tell without problems.
August 09, 2020 04:27AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Don't ever underestimate the IRS as you might th
> in
> > k you are getting away with something ....
>
> Harold, can you cite for us a SINGLE incident of
> when the IRS ever monitored any of our geeky md'in
> g forums, and came after any md'rs show-&-tell ?
> I'm sure that since it's imminent , that you have
> some examples. Right ? Ok then: links ?

tom!
for crying' out loud, you should be trying' to get "nancy"
to clean up frisco..my god, how am i to hunt "curb strips"
when i get there if i keep tripping' over sh*t piles on the sidewalks.

(h.h.!)
j.t.