Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Garrett Ace Apex box opening

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Garrett Ace Apex box opening
August 11, 2020 02:51AM
Re: Garrett Ace Apex box opening
August 26, 2020 12:05PM
If the end product is the same as the one i saw in a test video where it failed in iron, Calabash is going to have a field day lol
August 26, 2020 12:54PM
You get what you pay for comes to mind. In performance and quality. Is the Apex going to contend with a Nox or Deus or Anfibio at a fraction of the cost? Probably not. But it will contend with the Simplex and Vanquish.
August 28, 2020 06:35AM
By this time next week I'll know how the new Apex performs for a variety of applications, but I won't know for sure how it will handle really challenging places with dense brush, building rubble and abundant close-proximity ferrous debris until they bring out a smaller-size coil for it. It might be a narrow-shaped coil, but it is still a mid-big coils, being more of a mid-size to bigger-size coil due to the fore-and-aft 11" dimension naturally it will handle some challenges reasonably well, If it is swept left-to-right and back and going along a series of ferrous targets in a length-wise sweep, but if it is a crosswise sweep with a series of iron targets running front-to-rear down the center of the coil, that can be too much negative ferrous influence on the EMF for the circuitry design to handle it effectively.

Thus, too much iron junk can have a negative effect on the EMF due to the coil's size and shape where a smaller size coil might be able to handle the conditions better. Also, when working a very iron littered site, it can usually be to our advantage to use a slower and more methodical sweep speed. That didn't happen in the videos. So we really need to compare the Apex with the competition using a smaller-size coil and with a slower and more methodical sweep speed.

Monte

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2020 01:03AM by Monte.
August 28, 2020 02:33PM
Monte....... just a thought:
The Nokta Impact (and all of it's succedent siblings) had a fairly large 11" x 7" coil size....... and performed phenomenally well in iron. The EQX with an even larger (11" x 11") coil .... also performs stupendously well in iron..... for its coil size. The Microprocessor/electronics are (now) performing additional duties in the aid of extremely enhanced adjacent target separation characteristics/abilities (ferrous or non-ferrous)....... compared to yesteryear. I speculate Brent Weaver may have also increased the clock-speed of this particular ACE. There is absolutely no doubt that a smaller coil will work better in thick iron/carpets-of-nails (and environmental conditions/handicaps..... ie: stubble); yet, you "may" (to-be-determined) be surprised at the performance of todays: coil-size..........vs........MP clock-speed!
August 28, 2020 08:16PM
Old dogs new tricks lol
The Nox excels with stock coil, and the 15" adds another dimension, but don't think Monty is a fan of large coils in iron.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2020 08:33PM by ghound.
August 29, 2020 04:41PM
.... Mr. Monte .... 2-2.5D separation ... the small coil will be better here ... so it is true .. there may already be a strongly visible difference between 5.3 "and 7" concentric coils ...

Mr. Tom Dankowski ......- 3D separation ... from a certain size of 9 "-11" -13 "coil, the depth separation will be greatly improved ... that is true, but the metal detector must also have a certain 3D predisposition. ....

,both views on separation are correct,,, detection is often about compromise ,, so far ...

But Apex follows the path of perhaps the optimal coil for ordinary searching ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2020 07:24PM by EL NINO.
August 29, 2020 05:37PM
i cannot read the minds of the people responsible for the apex, but i feel that they "may"
know that the viper coil's size is optimal for the trash,due to the micro processor,,electronics
and software associated with (s.m.f.) minelab's bigger coils have been ''outstanding" hunting
in the junks it makes sense that garrett,(already being aware of minelab's performance in trash)
has possibly duplicated same.i for one, have purchased the "vanquish 540,and know to a certainty
the 12" coil is "very good" in separation, AND depth in trash filled parks.this performance is "field proven"
over 10 months and counting. i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 29, 2020 06:08PM
JT..... How ARE you doing with that VNQ-540? Can it go behind anything?
August 30, 2020 12:33AM
hi tom!
i don't know that to a certainty tom, but i '"smacked"a 9"
barber quarter the other day in a park 'crippled",and i mean
c'rippled" by every detector made including eq 800's.. the quarter
was partially shielded by some nails, but i got enough of a high tone, and flashing
30 to make me dig!.it was also tilted slightly in the hole.i was running "jewelry"
gain set to one setting under (e.m.i.) top of scale, and stable as a rock.to say i am pleased is an understatement.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 30, 2020 12:55AM
Interesting, j.t., and in fact, pretty impressive. How many bars is your dirt with the F 75? Good luck down the road. HH jim tn
August 30, 2020 05:05AM
don't know jim! got rid of my 75 a long time ago!
just wasn't a good fit! my dirt is low to moderately
mineralized, and thanks for the encouragement!.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2020 05:07AM by jmaryt.
August 31, 2020 02:42AM
NASA-Tom:
Monte....... just a thought:

The Nokta Impact (and all of it's succedent siblin gs) had a fairly large 11" x 7" coil size....... and performed phenomenally well in iron. The EQX with an even larger (11" x 11") coil .... also performs stupendously well in iron..... for its coil size. The Microprocessor/electronics are (now) performing additional duties in the aid of extremely enhanced adjacent target separation characteristics/abilities (ferrous or non-ferrous)....... compared to yesteryear. I speculate Brent Weaver may have also increased the clock-speed of this particular ACE. There is absolutely no doubt that a smaller coil will work better in thick iron/carpets-of-nails (and environmental conditions/handicaps..... ie: stubble); yet, you "may" (to-be-determined) be surprised at the performance of todays: coil-size.....> .....vs........MP clock-speed!
Tom, I appreciate your comments and, for the most part, I agree with the generalities of what you stated. The CoRe, Relic, racer 2, Impact and Multi-Kruzer all came with a 7X11 DD standard, and I found THOSE coils on THOSE models, with good settings for the tough iron challenges I faced, worked reasonably well. They didn't 'pass' my tests for a best-pick coil, but they certainly matched or out-performed other makes and models with a comparably similar coils.

And you are correct, the Equinox 800 with a round-shaped 11" DD can do surprisingly well in a lot of challenging iron applications, and I found the Nokta / Makro Anfibio Multi and Simplex +, with their round 11" DD coils, to also perform well, for their size and shape, in the same ferrous-target challenges. I will comment, however, that I am referring to how well a detector and coil combo can due when dealing with closely associated nails, wire-iron or similar ferrous debris and not about 'separation' or 'recovery speed' that we might get out of a model in a lot of non-ferrous target scatterings.

Yes, a lot of the modern detectors from recent years do have some very good circuitry design to handle a lot of the challenging conditions we might encounter, but they don't always handle them as nicely as some older models could. There were some things we encountered in common urban Coin Hunting applications where I can do quite well using a 1975/76 TR-Disc. or an earlier conventional TR. I have a couple of very nice specimens in my detector group I use in my seminars to demonstrate where we came from, what we had (in design and performance), to show what we have gained .... as well as lost when it came to handling common ferrous debris.

There's no doubt in my mind what a decent smaller-size coil might provide in improved performance and ferrous-handling, and I have used a number of different 'mid-big coils (those that are 6X11 or 7X11 or 8X11 or 9X12, etc.) and found that the particular coil design and/or detector's circuitry design provided a pretty decent level of performance in a 'modest' amount of discarded ferrous junk. Still, I prefer a smaller-size coil such as a round 4½ to 6½" diameter or an elliptical of maybe 3X6 to 4½X7. in daily encountered places or everyday search sites that are not too terribly littered, I like a mid-size coil such as a 5X8 (on my Vanquish 540) or a 5X9½ DD open-frame (like on my Relic or Simplex +).,

Besides, I do have an open mind whenever I check out ANY make or model because I like surprises. My Apex is due to be delivered tomorrow, the 31st, so by the time next week comes to a close I should have a good idea of what Garrett is bringing the consumer and, hopefully, it will be a much improved performer than their Ace 400 and other Ace series. Now, to see if it hs a functional 'fit' in my Detector Outfit.

Monte
August 31, 2020 12:31PM
Just watched a vid of the Apex on coke, it was reading an ID of 37 which falls into the Apex's "ferrous and very low conductivity range" of 35-45.
This would be a worry, as this is probably the same range your going to find small cut silver and gold hammered coins!
September 03, 2020 01:25AM
Apex vs Nox

[youtu.be]
September 03, 2020 01:55AM
There's a number of vids out, looks like a real let down.

[youtu.be]