Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Video I did of the Garrett Apex Nail Board test (9/18/20) update video for Bad dirt 10" Dime

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Video of the Apex on Monte's Nail Board Test.

This is Monte's official Nail Board Test he sent me Years ago.

I think for the large size of the stock coil and DD its quite Good!!

Test done with factory tone break.Zero Disc.Multi Freq and some other solo freq's at one point for a comparison.

[www.youtube.com]

10" Dime
[www.youtube.com]

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2020 11:07PM by Keith Southern.
Re: Video I did of the Garrett Apex Nail Board test
September 16, 2020 10:50PM
Looks good. Thanks for the test. HH jim tn
September 17, 2020 02:14PM
Not bad. I like your videos. How about another video on your 10" dime.
September 17, 2020 03:36PM
Hey Kieth if you get a chance it would be cool to put a silver coin on the ground and raise the coil to show the Modulated audio as sounded good in Garrett demo but have not heard it on a YouTube vid really?
September 17, 2020 04:11PM
Good info--thanks Keith.
September 17, 2020 04:21PM
I'll take the F-19 with 5X10" coil. smiling smiley
Modulated coin and tone change demo for zinc to copper at depth ( IMPRESSIVE) and also 10 inch dime in bad 4 or 5 F.E bar dirt.

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
The Garrett Apex does not seem to be grabbing much attention here in the UK,infact very little interest at all.
Its coming across to me and most of the other detectorists that is just a mediocre machine and nothing else.What is grabbing more attention is the Vanquish range over the Apex,i think they will pick up some buyers from the dedicated Garrett fan club but that i feel is just because of the loyalty to Garrett rather than the machines performance.

Of course i hope that it will become a decent seller but this is from pure gut feeling and from pure observations that its going to be just another 'ok' detector in a very over crowded market place and has none of the 'must have' razzmatazz that was provided by folks jumping out of aeroplanes etc,and the rest is history as they say........i am aware that this is not in the same league either performance or price wise as the 'jumping out of planes' marketing campaign was but it was a detector that folks wanted and it became a sales legend.The Apex is not even in the same league because performance i just 'mediocre' and nothing more or nothing less.
Thanks Keith!
Thanks Keith.
Great video captures Keith!
I think folks are wanting/expecting Garrett's (maiden voyage) very first entry into the SMF World...... to be the trump-of-all-trumps..... compared to all other SMF's. I doubt this was Brent Weaver's intent. It is a ACE series...... and priced accordingly as such. Intended for mid-line/mid-market. Soooooooo...... as far as 'intended market'......... it hit the mark...... and very well. To compare it to a EQX/CTX........ is a bit out-of-league. To compare to VNQ .....is much closer; yet, still slightly out-of-league.
The Apex is quite the puzzling machine.

It's I'm convinced as deep as or deeper than a AT PRO cant say on AT Max.Never had one.If it had the At Pro coil size as stock it may very well really show off on depth.especially with SMF.

Seems to from initial videos I've seen outperform anything Garrett has in there VLF line in Salt water yet its not waterproof?

I'm seeing some videos of it on the wet sand and its really is smooth and digging tiny objects.

Apart form no manual ground balance( auto grab only) and ability to FINE TUNE the iron tone one digit at a time like AT series there's not alot of difference.35 factory break for iron tone is sufficient as even on AT PRO 32 tone break is a choir at times.Apex at 35 next step is 30 by notching only for break and that's a no go for nails.So your loose some slight iron resolution but gain better target analysis with SMF.

The Apex like any unit is not perfect but at the same time for what it is and how it runs the SMF is not quirky or sluggish.Its hard to tell SMF from single freq beside's mineral handling is better.the Audio and response feel quick and non sluggish.

I think it has too many tones at 5.Id like to see just three like on AT Pro.Heck Id rather see just two, iron and high.Maybe delegated to relic mode?Should be simple to do.

One thing impressive on the Apex is like with alot of Garretts .That's excellent I.D.very good number locks.

I think a round 11" or 12' would make it pretty dang deep.

And a small 6 inch coil or so would really push it in iron.

The Audio is different than a AT series.AT seems more analog Apex is way more digital.Yet it has the feel that it could be Garrett's best unmasker in iron with right coil.

I'm sure we will see the technology in other models at some point.and have a sneaky suspicion the housing can be waterproofed with just adding coil connectors and a gasket.Machine is very light weight.has a Micro Max feel.Not nose heavy in the slightest with the Viper coil.And even if it has the large coil and small coil right now id bet the Viper would be the one used the most.Pretty impressive results from such a long coil in trash while retaining decent depth.

I can say the Multi Freq has a tendency to dig SOME not alot, deep nails Vs choosing a single freq for cross checking.Not like a CZ in chasing deep nails but its different than just single freq.

All in all for what it is and price point I sort of like it.Its easy to adapt to and does not require relearning to get most out of it Very much K.I.S.S. approved.Its really fun in trash for cherry picking, well behaved and notch out what you dont want and its a fun coin snagger in trash.I am in process of streamlining my detectors mainly just trying to get down to a Tarsacci and couple of other special units but had to try a APEX and I may have to try and keep it for a hit it and get it unit.More coils will help sway my decision.

Its a Ace in name only.No way I'd buy a Ace 400 now when this is 100.00 more.And I'd have to think about a AT Pro for more money if I wasnt concerned about water.I think more coils will bring the product into its own.

I'm not fond of Garretts waterproof connectors on AT series.

If they move forward with the SMF tech in waterproof configuration I hope they go to the more industry standard like EQ,Tarsacci,Simplex etc connectors.

Just some ramblings

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
Very nice "overall impression" write-up Keith.