Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Exploring Iron Masking and it's affects on different metal detector models

Posted by sanjuro 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Exploring Iron Masking and it's affects on different metal detector models
September 23, 2020 05:12PM
Good video with questions to answer

[youtu.be]
Re: Exploring Iron Masking and it's affects on different metal detector models
September 24, 2020 12:43AM
I went outside and did this test with two big nails (rusty) and a freshly buried 4 inch dirty dime in my central San Joaquin (CA) Valley dirt using my Impact with 4 x 7 football coil @ 14 KHz, The Apex in MF and my current XP GMP and got a little better results. The GMP simply slammed it even though it doesn't like freshly disturbed soil. The Impact sounded strong and sure and the Apex chirped loudly and up averaged the nails to the low 50's.
Not sure about nails on top of soil and buried dime. Questions ???? Surely Yes !!
September 24, 2020 12:49AM
sanjuro: It's a pity you couldn't include the Deeptech Vista X in your testing. A very capable beep & dig contender. [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2020 12:54AM by Detecta.
September 24, 2020 01:52AM
Andrew B. ........ you're a man after my heart. These are some of the exact types of tests that I do.
Glad to see you are testing this. (It pays off 'real-time' .... in the real World).
September 24, 2020 10:23AM
Detecta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sanjuro: It's a pity you couldn't include the Deep
> tech Vista X in your testing. A very capable beep
> & dig contender. [www.youtube.com]
> z12lcNnLRJY&ab_channel=EnglandsHistory

Hi i did not make the video but i agree the Vista X is a great detector i bought one on release
September 24, 2020 05:32PM
Interesting vid thank you !
September 24, 2020 05:59PM
Masking is extremely crippling. Worse than you could ever imagine.
Mitigation/resolution: in-work.
September 25, 2020 02:16AM
I have used many detectors with many years of detecting.
I will say this about the Equinox 800.
I have found more good targets with rusty iron in the hole with said targets than any other detector I have ever used.
One example is today I got an 9 thru 14 jumping ID with a grunt of iron.
Plugged the hole I got a 2" rusted bolt, rescanned the hole 2002 nickel and as I was putting the plug back, in the side wall was a 2004 quarter face out.
Which I don't know how I didn't scratch the quarter with the shovel?
I could hear the good target with the Iron that's why I dug this target and many like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2020 02:18AM by u2robert.
September 25, 2020 08:19AM
Most of my detectors have coils 7'' or smaller,only 3 that are slightly larger are my Deus HF elliptical and my T2 Sharpshooter coil and my Nexus MP 8x6 coil.Even my TDI Pulse is only used thses days with the 7.5'' DF coil on.

All my other coils and i have dozens of them upto 20'' but these are not used much and more specific use coil.

Main 2 reasons are that my right wrist suffers as a result of a serious bike accident years ago that haunts me when i go detecting these days and also target masking and as a result of using smaller coils in the last 2-3 years my finds rate has improved by a massive margin.

One problem that we suffer here in the UK in recent years is that farmers/Landowner are offered what is called 'green waste' for either free or paid to dump this stuff on the land,trouble is alot of these folks are 'duped' into thinking it is totally green but alas its far from that infact it could be anything from circuit boards and other metallic items shredded up and also including medical waste this also includes thinks like needles from syringes and many other nasties but once its down on the field then its to late and the only way to detect what was once a stellar producing field is either walk away from the field/s or go ultra small on the coil size and try and get in between the waste.

Also on trashy roman/saxon the best tool for the job is still a small coil my favourites for this are the Nox 6'' coil and the T2 5'' coil both excel in plucking decent finds from in between the trash.
September 25, 2020 09:29AM
Yuk!----That "green waste" crap sounds like a farmer AND detectorsts worst nightmare (and everybody else for that matter)!
September 25, 2020 05:33PM
One thing I've learned over the years.

Its fun to do simulating masking scenarios etc.Gives you something of a clue.But the soil changes everything.

till you go on the hunt iron in the soil is way different than iron in the air or even reburied iron.

I like a Fast recovery unit or a blending tones ability unit,Combo of both even better.Something my ears and mind can figure out without tto much fasling,

Like Tom says you dont know what you dont know,and in unmasking 100% is hid from our eyes.and the orientations of targets can never be replicated,Each orientation is 100% unique and never to be replicated again.Its own fingerprint type scenario.

Some machines that dont do well say on say nail board test on a real world hunt can find targets that a machine that did well on nail board test cant.

Example is Deus.it really isnt great on nail board test,A Whites classic 3 does great.Go in a iron hole and see what finds what at end of day.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
September 25, 2020 09:18PM
Darn dirt!

HH
Mike
September 27, 2020 01:34AM
Nail board test.
I won’t waste my time doing one of those.

Maybe the Deus doing bad on nail board test is the “why” behind why poster Monte only just recently found out how good the ORX is. He loves ORX. Hunting ghost towns a Deus or ORX can come in real handy. Lot has been posted here as far as Xp Goldmaxx poser,, Deus and now the ORX. Good info posted here for the taking. Info started being posted around 2013. So 6 plus years worth. Heavy iron sites these detectors do well.
Cal Cobra may indeed find good use for a Deus unit where he hunts.
Tom (Ca) would too. If you could pry his Explorer out of his hands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2020 01:36AM by tnsharpshooter.
September 27, 2020 01:48AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One thing I've learned over the years.
>
> Its fun to do simulating masking scenarios etc.Giv
> es you something of a clue.But the soil changes ev
> erything.
>
> till you go on the hunt iron in the soil is way di
> fferent than iron in the air or even reburied iron
> .
>
> I like a Fast recovery unit or a blending tones ab
> ility unit,Combo of both even better.Something my
> ears and mind can figure out without tto much fasl
> ing,
>
> Like Tom says you dont know what you dont know,and
> in unmasking 100% is hid from our eyes.and the ori
> entations of targets can never be replicated,Each
> orientation is 100% unique and never to be replica
> ted again.Its own fingerprint type scenario.
>
> Some machines that dont do well say on say nail bo
> ard test on a real world hunt can find targets tha
> t a machine that did well on nail board test cant.
>
> Example is Deus.it really isnt great on nail board
> test,A Whites classic 3 does great.Go in a iron ho
> le and see what finds what at end of day.
>
> Keith

Amen Brotha!!!----The proofs (finds) are in the pudding!-----I've found more Seated coins with my CTX than all my other detectors combined (and it doesn't do well in iron).
September 27, 2020 02:53AM
Sorry guys I didn't post the video to this forum before I left town. Just got back. Good stuff here and other forums about iron masking.

Tom-yes I love doing tests and finding out what I don't know. Your articles and research have had a big impression on my mind as I'm sure it has on others here as well.

Yes dirt makes all the difference. My dirt does a good job of masking on it's own and then add iron and it really gets bad as you can see in the video.

As others have mentioned the Deus and ORX don't do the best on a nail board. But take them in the field with a lot of iron junk and they do very well.

All it takes is one nail or other piece of iron/trash to be removed from a site to unmask a find of a lifetime. Question is which one?
September 27, 2020 12:17PM
would be interesting to have monte board with coin on standing on the edge on in various orientation other than flat .