Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Clean out your detector junk pile?

Posted by flgliderpilot 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Clean out your detector junk pile?
October 01, 2020 02:19AM
I am reading, studying electronics, and trying to learn to design and build metal detectors for something to do to exercise my aging brain.

I am in Saint Augustine, FL and just wondered if anyone might have some detector parts in a junk pile they no longer want or need?

Need not be working, looking for old coils (of any type), old shafts, old units in any condition dead or alive or even empty, old aluminum control boxes, etc. The older the better actually.

Anything is useful for studying or for parts when scratch building... an empty control box for mounting my own boards, etc.

I am specifically looking for VERY OLD OUTDATED BROKEN stuff...

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2020 02:51AM by flgliderpilot.
Re: Clean out your detector junk pile?
October 01, 2020 09:23AM
Visit Geotech forums.
Lots of projects you can make.
[www.geotech1.com]

[www.geotech1.com]

Plus you need this book!!! [www.amazon.com]

You don't need a bunch of old "non-working" junk in used parts sitting around.

Right now Reg Sniff's son his parting his collection. I picked up a couple. For the complete list [www.detectorprospector.com]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
October 01, 2020 11:49AM
Agreed, Geotech1 is the ideal starting point. And obtain a known working search-coil , concentrate your thoughts on the electronics / packaging. Only then maybe consider the masochistic process of making a coil to match your fully-working detector.

A parts supplier worth mentioning is 'SilverDog' in the UK, who now trades as 'DIY-Detector':
[diydetector.co.uk]

Making a pinpoint probe from 'scratch' is a more viable option, there are a few projects, kits and plans around. This is just for fun and educational purposes, as 20 Dollar Chinese pinpointers are now available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2020 11:54AM by Pimento.
October 01, 2020 12:50PM
At one time, years ago, I fancied myself building a collection of vintage detectors. But then never pursued it, in the end. But I still have a collection of some vintage Whites and other odd-machines. If you want to talk about it, email me @ ttanner777@aol.com. Were you looking to buy or what ?
October 02, 2020 02:07AM
>
> Plus you need this book!!! [www.amazon.com]
> Inside-Metal-Detector-George-Overton/dp/0985834218
>
> You don't need a bunch of old "non-working" junk
> in used parts sitting around.
>

Hi I have that book along with several others. My interest in old "junk" was for old detectors which can be gutted and used for my own builds. Housings, shafts, coils, etc.

I forgot about the geotech forum though thanks.
October 02, 2020 03:01AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At one time, years ago, I fancied myself building
> a collection of vintage detectors. But then neve
> r pursued it, in the end. But I still have a coll
> ection of some vintage Whites and other odd-machin
> es. If you want to talk about it, email me @ tta
> nner777@aol.com. Were you looking to buy or what
> ?

just give 'em to him ..tom! (w.t.f.!)
ehe! heh! he!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
October 02, 2020 09:39AM
flgliderpilot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
My
> interest in old "junk" was for old detectors which
> can be gutted and used for my own builds. Housing
> s, shafts, coils, etc.
>
> I forgot about the geotech forum though thanks.

Yeah, I get that. I have found that most times its cheaper to buy new parts. But have used older Garrett boxes from the Ace series and S-American series. Garrett rods are also good to use.
Coolest one I have used was a vintage Daytona case. [www.treasurelinx.com] Whites used to sell the Space Saver 3 piece s-handle rod set-up, pretty reasonable.
[metaldetectingforum.com]

Keith Wills [www.brokendetector.com] has a huge stock of new surplus Gold Mountain control boxes and shaft setups cheap. I used them for several Pi's and a BH Tracker mod [www.treasurenet.com]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me