Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Does ML FBS offer an advantage to The Current MD lineup ???

Posted by Michael296 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Does ML FBS offer an advantage to The Current MD lineup ???
October 13, 2020 01:59AM
Guys and yall,
I really want to try out this Explorer XS and have to buy it to try it.
My question is ;
What does this earlier FBS detector do that no other modern machine can match ???
I have already tried both the Nox 600 and 800 and they just plain didn't blow my skirt up !!
I have owned and tried quite a few tectors and gotten rid of most of them because they just plainly didn't do it.
Please, any and all comments, beliefs and opinions appreciated,
Thank you, Michael
Re: Does ML FBS offer an advantage to The Current MD lineup ???
October 13, 2020 03:05AM
The FBS detectors are one of the best on deep silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2020 03:10AM by u2robert.
October 13, 2020 03:41AM
FBS detectors in general are very powerful but for me they have a bit of a learning curve especially if you detect around iron. Like any other detector you have to learn it's language. Once you master what it is telling you the fun begins, you will be digging some deep holes. FBS might be easier for others to use, I can only go with what I have experienced with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2020 03:44AM by coinspader.
October 13, 2020 01:07PM
FBS is good, however the XS model is a little old. I would point you toward the Etrac if you want to experience Minelab's FBS. I didn't think I would like the change from the Explorer's S-curve discrimination line to the Etrac's linear line but I have found I like it much better. Conductivity moving horizontally and ground effects moving vertically is much easier to follow and interpret.

Good luck
HH
Mike
October 13, 2020 05:19PM
Not a whole bunch of replies and I know why. This thing has been beat to DEATH and people are sick of talking about it. It’s great tech. Not the end all be all. I have 2 FBS machines. But I am done trying to convince people of anything, you’re just gonna have to jump in.
October 13, 2020 10:52PM
There is NO MACHINE that is the end of it all or all that and a box of Cracker Jacks. I have never tried the BBS or FBS machines. I, in my mind need a little nudge to just jump in with out knowing how deep the water is. The biggest drawback I see so far with older machines like the Explorer is there is no way to repair them. So with Minelab you have to step up to newer more expensive machines to try one out for yourself and have any kind of ability to repair. And if it ain't for you, you get stuck trying to get as much of your money back as possible. Not really ahead of the game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2020 10:58PM by Michael296.
October 14, 2020 04:52PM
FBS technology has the best discrimination in the buisness,that's what your paying for imo. Deep and accuracy leads to less holes and more good finds.. I have a etrac and a explorer SE pro, can't imagine not having one
I've owned the XS and while it's a great machine I prefer the ferrous/ conductive numbers on the SE Pro. Thought about selling one, not sure tho. But all FBS are top shelf coin machines,good luck
October 14, 2020 06:55PM
Michael296 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... and 800 and
> they just plain didn't blow my skirt up !! ....

Michael, you have gotten good answers so far. And I would agree with those that say the old-school explorers are still very desirable today. The Nox 800 can, *at best* merely match the depth (IMHO) of an Explorer II. And the ability to discern TID's on the Explorers was excellent (to sniff out deep silver from junky turf, for example). And despite what some 800 users claim, I do not believe that the 800 can spank an Explorer in junky turf.

HOWEVER, the 800 has upsides that the Explorer doesn't . For starters, it's no secret that the Explorer will wain in iron-ridden ghost-townsy places. Ie.: prone to masking. But go figure : This is the history of all power-house detectors, is that the trade-off seems to be more-prone-to-masking. So I've had my b*tt kicked in iron-ridden ghost-townsy spots by 800 users. But conversely, I spank them in turf hunting. They have less ability to discern depth and TID, and end up digging more junk. While I can be more selective and hone in on deep high conductors. But in "relic-mindset" situations, this level of cherry-picking isn't necessary, since you're going to dig-all anyhow.

Also the 800 is lighter and water proof. And if you wanted to look for micro-jewelry (an earring stud or whatever), the 800 can do that, while the Explorer can't.

So it all depends on the type hunting you're going to be doing.
October 15, 2020 01:05AM
(Thought about selling one, not sure tho. But all FBS are top shelf coin machines, good luck)
Woodbuther,

PM sent to you
October 15, 2020 01:17AM
The only thing I can think of is I dont think theres a machine currently produced that can roll off of shallower, collocated targets and instantly slam deep, mid-high conductive targets quite like an explorer w/a SEF coil.

I have a few civil war sites littered w/small .22 caliber sized blobs of camp lead and or foil. Very target rich spots, but not much iron bigger than small nails....My explorer 2 w/10x12 Sef still cleans up on those sites.

Love my Nox, havent gotten a chance to see how it fares there. But I do know that explorer eats the high frequency machines lunches and pops the bag, in those very specific conditions anyway.
October 15, 2020 01:19AM
Pm replied. A few things I'd like to say about the different explorer series differences. I've owned and really think highly of them all from xs to SE. But the pinpont on the XS and Explorer 2 are not vco,and don't give visual ID in pinpoint mode. I wasn't a fan of the bump bump bump pinpoint doing on XS or Explorer 2..But I did like them aside from that alot.
They all carry the fbs DNA at heart,and are imo the only true coin machines made. And just as hot on low conductors that COUNT as any other machine. Anyone who thinks fbs aren't good on nickels and gold jewelry hasn't really ran them much. I think my SE is a nickel hog,and found my only 2 gold items this year.
Had the nox and alot of other good machines,but just can't seem to give fbs up for anything else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2020 01:20AM by Woodbutcher.
October 15, 2020 02:14AM
I think that with the replies so far that “intrigue” might get the better of you Michael. However....you understand that the various machines out there are simply different tools that are perhaps better at certain things than others at different price points and in different conditions etc etc. Historically speaking from my own understanding because Ive only been at this since 2010...when the FBS machines came to light circa 1999, the metal detecting world was JOLTED. FBS was a big enough change from other manufacturers and a big enough improvement over its Minelab predecessor (BBS) that it was a VASTLY noticeable improvement in performance, especially in mineralized ground. A fellow once put it this way...”Minelabs don’t ‘separate’....they ‘sort’.” Whether or not there’s any scientific proof to back that up, I don’t know, but it’s the most accurate description of the FBS operation I’ve seen yet. When it comes to the ability of BOTH my Explorer2 and CTX (FBS2) to find coins co-located with nails and even very small conductive junk, it initially FLOORED me. The DEPTH at which they can find coins with “good ID” (a range in which I would assume the target might be a coin) EVEN WITH HIGH DISCRIMINATION still continues to FLOOR me. As you said...there’s no “one magic machine” that would be considered by the majority of hunters to be the best at everything. So this is where you have to ask yourself...”What is my primary target?” Are you a coin hunter on land? A jewelry hunter in surf? A relic hunter in big heavy iron? WHO are you at heart and what type or performance would help YOU to achieve the results YOU want? The Explorers are “deep coin” hunters at heart, that’s what the target market was when they were developed. CAN they find a whole bunch of other “stuff”? Of course! But it’s main intended purpose is to find COIN type targets in a wide variety of DRY conditions (not diving in the ocean). If this sounds like something which is a big part of your hunting, an FBS machine of SOME kind would be a very welcome addition, as long as you are willing to spend the time it takes to use it to a high potential.
October 15, 2020 11:35AM
You may find it difficult to find parts even thru ML since the Explore lines were discontinued. Those machines IMO were even better than the Explorers. Yes theres a long learning curve but worth it and yes out of the box when the Etrac came out it shortened that curve. You didnt say what kind of targets you are looking for. If its silver then these early models have a distinct tone not matched by other detectors. BUT... the down side is they have very slow recovery. They also can take advantage of an in-line probe......if you can find one they are worth every penny.
October 15, 2020 01:08PM
Many good informative replies Michael,

I've tried all the Explorer series models, all are good for deep silver from parks and old school grounds. Ended up with an Explorer SE, and still have a couple of BBS.

You're welcome to borrow the SE, use it for a year. That's about the length of the learning curve with an average detectorist. I suggest hunting Cutter Park, couple of local friends are still finding silver.

Hands down, FBS is the best detector out there for deep silver, audio is unmatched. I see no other reason to use it for your type of hunting in our area, so it must be for deep silver.

It's great for ocean wet sand, if you take a drive over Pachico Pass or Grapevine. That's about all it's good for, your other detectors surpass the Explorer for in other areas.

You have my phone number, text me if you're interested.

Paul
October 15, 2020 10:53PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> ... They also can take ad
> vantage of an in-line probe......if you can find o
> ne they are worth every penny.

Good point and good reminder ! This is exactly why a bunch of people refused to update to the CTX and the Nox 800 : Their inability to utilize the in-line Sunray probe. After a few years with the in-line probe, you fall in love with it, and are naked without it. The other free-standing probes suck that they don't pipe through your headphone, and hone in on adjacent nails, blah blah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2020 10:54PM by Tom_in_CA.
October 15, 2020 11:10PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> dewcon4414 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ... They also can take ad
> > vantage of an in-line probe......if you can find
> o
> > ne they are worth every penny.
>
>
> Good point and good reminder ! This is exactly
> why a bunch of people refused to update to the CTX
> and the Nox 800 : Their inability to utilize the
> in-line Sunray probe. After a few years with th
> e in-line probe, you fall in love with it, and are
> naked without it. The other free-standing prob
> es suck that they don't pipe through your headphon
> e, and hone in on adjacent nails, blah blah.

Couple of 'em do (XP & Garrett).
October 15, 2020 11:31PM
A lot of really good points and info here. All points and opinions are being taken seriously and logged in my mind.
I really appreciate every statement and piece of info that you have all given me. This hobby can get a little expensive and to me is really a HOOT !! I have gone through quite a few machines looking for a couple of them that plain feels right and speaks to me. I found myself wanting one more detector to play with. I think I have found one that fits that bill. Or at least I believe so.
I am looking for
#1 very good and accurate ID
#2 Able to handle Fickle high mineralization soils
#3 Something totally different than the other machines I have and HAVE HAD
#4 Reasonable Menu and access
#5 ACCURATE ID !! can't say that enough.
It would be an addition to the machines I have so as to fit certain situations