Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Garrett Announces they will acquire Whites Electronics

Posted by Abenson 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Garrett Announces they will acquire Whites Electronics
October 16, 2020 09:41PM
Re: Garrett Announces they will acquire Whites Electronics
October 16, 2020 10:37PM
I wonder if they'll use anything from the v3 platform. I certainly hope so.
October 16, 2020 10:46PM
Yes! That is great news USA baby.
October 16, 2020 10:58PM
Very good news. Going to be interesting to see what Garrett will pull out of the hat next in the way of the next new detector.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
October 16, 2020 11:01PM
I haven't used alot of White's products but know that they make good products and have great support, hope that this continues under Garrett.
October 16, 2020 11:05PM
i hope they will be able to make something of this acquisition otherwise they are the next to go or get buyed by ... minelab maybe haha.
October 16, 2020 11:18PM
That is great news for the metal detecting world.
October 17, 2020 10:15AM
Mascot colors will be interesting.

Warranty continuance could be complex.

Bottom line: I hope Brent get's some hired help.
October 17, 2020 10:35AM
Its good for those whites owners who may need repairs. My understanding it wasnt the machines, but the use of the money that made them close the doors. I used to use whites machines very good customer relations and they would send you parts without you having to send in your machine. It will be interesting how they might combine their tech. Wonder if they will move operations to reduce costs?
October 17, 2020 02:56PM
Maybe develop the V3I into the new GTI series.
October 17, 2020 04:35PM
minelab is always in acquisition mode!
garrett has an opportunity to up date some of the fine designs,
of the whites line.look for retention of some models with
'improved" circuitry.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
October 17, 2020 09:13PM
Long live the TRX. The rest of Whites lineup is of no interest to me personally.
October 18, 2020 08:31AM
Yep, the TRX is a good one!----I picked up another two new ones to have on hand "just in case".----That makes six of 'em we have (the wife & I).------Did I say we like them? smiling smiley----goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Long live the TRX. The rest of Whites lineup is of
> no interest to me personally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2020 08:33AM by D&P-OR.
October 18, 2020 11:11AM
The TDI is the only White's product that I might be interested in.
October 18, 2020 01:53PM
It’s amazing how that, even in a time where Whites has become defunct as it’s been known, the people who STARTED with a Whites machine are fiercely loyal to their first machine, even if they haven’t used a Whites machine since. Since I am in this purported group, I can say that IF my Whites machine hadn’t been as good as it is, I may have dropped out of the hobby right away from the lack of finding anything or problems with the machine, or both. A lack of success will kill off ANY interest in ANY hobby, I was lucky. I’m sure the people who are loyal to their first machine feel as if they “owe” it, I owe my IDXPro EVERYTHING. Even though it has a comfortable spot in my closet simply because my other machines produce better results overall, it’ll always have a home here. Hopefully with this acquisition by Garrett, the new venture can continue to build machines for future “first timers” that will end up being that “first machine” that got them hooked.
October 19, 2020 01:21AM
Interesting color scheme...Green and er.....White?? Equals one ugly TRX......LOL. Good luck Garrett. I still enjoy my old Freedom-3.
October 19, 2020 07:56PM
The V3I with treasure talk.
October 19, 2020 09:06PM
I see no reason for Garrett to buy Whites unless it's technology rights. Other than that I see no point.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
October 19, 2020 09:33PM
khouse Wrote:
> I see no reason for Garrett to buy Whites unless i
> t's technology rights. Other than that I see no po
> int.

I presumed that's what they are doing as they did not buy the building or machinery.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
October 19, 2020 09:49PM
Sven1 Wrote:
> khouse Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I see no reason for Garrett to buy Whites unless
> i
> > t's technology rights. Other than that I see no
> po
> > int.
>
>
> I presumed that's what they are doing as they did
> not buy the building or machinery.

I missed that part. I wonder what type of Alien Technology Whites was setting on? The MX Sport was their last savior but sadly fizzed out. That's when I threw in the towel.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
October 20, 2020 01:11AM
Garrett doesn't have the technology!

g
October 20, 2020 01:15AM
The MXT was the last detector to stand out as something special in my book. And to be honest I never used one. But I saw what a club member could do with his. Very impressive. Whites had to have something worth the investment. Something that was in the pipeline that never made it to production. I guess we will know in a couple of years.
October 20, 2020 04:56AM
The multi-frequency technology of the DFX might be of some use to them, although I never heard anything great about that machine.
October 20, 2020 02:33PM
Any rumors as to the price paid? That might be a clue as to what Whites tech/patents/research is/was worth.
October 21, 2020 05:18PM
I am sure the biggest value Whites had was the patent and prototypes of the half sine hybrid nugget detector that white was not able to bring to market after Carl left it in their lap. Plus the machinery needed to build Whites detectors, they had a cool circuit board populator and soldering machine. State of art stuff. That fire sale was just the clunker stuff sittin in the shadows. I am with Goodmore, MXT Pro was the last great tech Whites created. I still use one.
October 22, 2020 05:44AM
Reminds me of when Sears and Kmart merged.
October 23, 2020 01:26AM
i wonder if kenny white reached out to first texas.
dave johnson designed the mxt,and possibly could have convinced
authority figures to bid on whites ,if there was interest.. they are a diversified
corporate entity with considerable financial wallop..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
October 23, 2020 07:24AM
If Kenny White didn't reach out to every notable detector co., then he was a pretty remiss business owner, imho.

Garrett seemingly saw something that they thought they could use. Other co.'s, apparently not so much, if anything.

I think I was wrong one other time, not sure anymore, but I seriously doubt First Texas has been setting idly by on "the development of new product" side lines these last few years. Only time will tell, of course. HH jim tn
October 23, 2020 09:40PM
jmaryt Wrote:
> i wonder if kenny white reached out to first texas
> .
> dave johnson designed the mxt,and possibly could h
> ave convinced
> authority figures to bid on whites ,if there was i
> nterest.. they are a diversified
> corporate entity with considerable financial wall
> op..i'm just sayin'
>
> (h.h.!)
> j.t.

Not sure that would make sense, because they already have the chief engineers that made anything good at White's, Dave Johnson (MXT) and Carl Moreland (V3). It's still mind boggling that FTP hasn't done much in the past decade, they kind of went the White's route rebranding/re-badging existing platforms for the past ten years.

I'm sure the high success of the Equinox had to be a makeup call, and Nokta probably hasn't gone unnoticed either. We shall see. I used to be a big FTP fanboy, but after ten years of nothing, and no signs of anything coming (aside from their French acquisition) I fell off he FTP bandwagon. I'm not getting any younger and my sites don't replenish themselves.
October 23, 2020 11:47PM
Garrett should have bought White’s.
Why.
White’s imo boosted Garrett sales over the years.
White’s sat around and was extremely late to the game with waterproof AT VLF detector.
What ashamed!
So I wish Garrett all the luck in the world.
Myself I wouldn’t have bought.
When a company goes under, this is something that is never forgotten.

Was I shocked or surprised at what happened to White’s?
Not in the least.

When you just rearrange the chairs on a sinking ship, the ship still sinks.

So a few observations.
White’s was slow to recognize how actually warehousing detectors and selling was the in thing (drop shipping).
White’s was slow to take advantage of using social media.
White’s marketing videos were lackluster at best.
White’s never really until (the ship had major hole in side) never had anyone really out on the internet answering questions, helping folks, giving tips, etc.
White’s never gave lighter detector weight its due respect.
White’s being located in extreme western USA likely cost them in the shipping depth money wise doing repairs and service. More centrally located in USA would have helped them. If we discount California how many actual detectorist in western USA.? Not many. Population is low compared to east of Mississippi River.
Allowing their marketing person to call a competitors detector a cute little French thingy was disgraceful, and imo by doing so they were admitting defeat.

Good luck Garrett.

PS
I did spend around $2500 on new White’s equipment since late 2010.
Still only have TRX pointer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 11:54PM by tnsharpshooter.