Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Forum display changes

Posted by Johnnyanglo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Forum display changes
November 26, 2020 01:35AM
What happened to the forum display? It looks terrible. Is this intentional or is something wrong on my end? If it is intentional I'd recommend changing it back.
Re: Forum display changes
November 26, 2020 08:53AM
John...... nothing changed. Forum still set up (looks) the same.
November 26, 2020 08:54AM
I suspect you're having the same issue many others have had. Your web browser is being overly security-conscious, and is not loading the insecure bits of the page ( those from a http address, rather than https ). This includes the css style sheets, which determine the page appearance, the Kitco gold charts at the bottom of the page, and affects the search button and others.

Allow the browser to load insecure content, and it should work OK.

There's several previous threads about it.
November 26, 2020 04:13PM
It changes on me every once in a while. Then goes back to normal after a few days. The subject has been brought up on the forum many times. Don't worry, the crisis is only temporary.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2020 04:16PM by Badger in NH.
November 27, 2020 04:16AM
I have the same problem.

None of the other sites have this problem. Why is it only this one?

I'm not changing my security settings just to get legible view here when its not needed anywhere else.

Mike
November 27, 2020 08:01AM
Mike: you shouldn't need to make 'Global' changes. Browsers allow the option of having unique settings for unique websites. Have you ever found a website blocked because your browser thinks the "Security Certificate is out of date" ? And you had the options 'accept this site' , 'accept this site just this one time' ? Well it's the same thing with this 'mixed content' issue.
November 28, 2020 02:03AM
Well, couldn't find a way to recover the site in chrome -- it remains solid white background without formatted text. Not useable. Works fine in Firefox, which is not my main browser.
November 28, 2020 01:28PM
Looks fine in Firefox, Chrome, Rekong browsers on my computer

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
November 28, 2020 07:03PM
Not seen anything change in the design and layout of the site,still works for me in the same way.

But what i have seen change is the massive drop in folks who post in recent times,not sure the reason behind it or why folks are not posting as much.One could say maybe the current Pandemic situation could be the sole reason,but other detecting forums are still very active even through the current lockdown or reduce detecting time that folks have.

Facebook is a big problem and many forums have also either closed or just surviving,of course hope this isn't the case with this forum.

The only thing that has changed is not the forum itself but the folks who use to post alot on it.
November 28, 2020 09:22PM
I hit 4 other detecting forums and it appears to me that posting traffic is quite a bit down on them, too. This one seems to be the quieter of the trough, though. HH jim tn
November 30, 2020 09:00PM
It's seem this forum is not (well) maintained that is why people not sticking here.
Issues has been reported numerous time and the admins just dont care avout them.
The whole staff need to be participating not only some moderator , for a forum to live.
November 30, 2020 09:40PM
youdig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's seem this forum is not (well) maintained that
> is why people not sticking here.
> Issues has been reported numerous time and the adm
> ins just dont care avout them.
> The whole staff need to be participating not only
> some moderator , for a forum to live.

I think Tom is in charge of maintenance but he's just too busy to attend to it. He has a lot going on and barely has time to post, much less work on the website.

A website makeover would definitely increase traffic. It would be nice if it were easier to post photos. Plus, videos should appear in the post, not as a link. Also, links should open in a new tab and not shift you away from the site. The way quotes appear in posts is archaic. I've been reminding Tom of this for years. It will happen when it happens.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2020 10:00PM by Badger in NH.
December 01, 2020 07:41PM
@badger you are totaly right, this forum look like a bbs an old bulletin board prior of 2000 lol.
I know on some forum you can give some webdesigner right, but this one is so old it's probably either admin or moderator right. He should give the role to somebody he trust and is willing to do the transition to another forum.
Because to be honest he wont be able to upgrade this one as phorum is not beeing maintained since 4 year by the dev.

I noticed as well i cannot even log in with my ipad on this forum, so it's a bunch of people that not even able to log in .
December 20, 2020 12:05AM
From what I've discovered why this page won't show the CSS stylesheets properly (at all) is because the website page is HTTPS:// protocol but these page elements are still []. Perhaps originally the web design was done in HTTP but upgraded later to HTTPS causing Chrome to actively block mixed content as the stylesheets are considered an unsecured element.

Example below:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="[www.dankowskidetectors.com]; media="screen" />

The solution would have to be done by the website owner by changing the href attribute to HTTPS.
December 20, 2020 12:38AM
Yes, you've re-discovered what was discovered in the previous threads on the topic, as I mentioned earlier.
Presumably the seemingly simple change are in fact not so simple, which is why 'WildWally' ( who looks after the site with Tom) has not changed things.
One of the previous discussions:
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]