Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox scores multiple BIG SILVER COINS @ my worked out back pocket site thumbs down

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox scores multiple BIG SILVER COINS @ my worked out back pocket site thumbs down
December 10, 2020 12:10AM
Quick video of a recent trip that had a long list of sites to check out, and wouldn't you know it an old back pocket site of mine turned out to be the best of all.

[www.youtube.com]

GL&HH,
Cal
Re: Equinox scores multiple BIG SILVER COINS @ my worked out back pocket site thumbs down
December 10, 2020 01:13AM
VERY nice! Good capture.
Re: Equinox scores multiple BIG SILVER COINS @ my worked out back pocket site thumbs down
December 10, 2020 01:20AM
Brian----Congrats on the Morgan.----Been awhile since I've found one of them.
December 10, 2020 09:52AM
Wow! A day maker, very nice.
December 10, 2020 12:11PM
Nice finds.
Thanks for sharing.
December 10, 2020 12:47PM
Cool video. Too bad you can't edit out the wind. I'm still looking for my first Dollar.
December 10, 2020 05:27PM
good job ! But ... Shhhh.... don't tell anyone that I got my b*tt kicked on this trek. Ok ? confused smiley
December 10, 2020 05:33PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> good job ! But ... Shhhh.... don't tell anyone t
> hat I got my b*tt kicked on this trek. Ok ? confused smiley

HEY---HEY---I HEARD TOM GOT HIS BUTT KICKED ON THAT TREK!!!!!smiling smiley
December 10, 2020 07:55PM
What is a "back pocket" site?
December 10, 2020 09:36PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> VERY nice! Good capture.

Thanks Tom, that Morgan was a surprise, but the real surprise was the value on the Barber quarter in that condition thumbs down
December 10, 2020 09:37PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> Brian----Congrats on the Morgan.----Been awhile since I've found one of them.

Thanks Dell, this makes Morgan #3 for me, all from the 1800's thumbs down
December 10, 2020 09:37PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Nice finds.
> Thanks for sharing.

Thanks David!
December 10, 2020 09:38PM
ozzie Wrote:
> Wow! A day maker, very nice.

Thanks, it always seems like these finds come when you least expect them smileys with beer
December 10, 2020 09:39PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> Cool video. Too bad you can't edit out the wind. I'm still looking for my first Dollar.

Yeah the wind sucked for the video. I'm upping my game on video, bought a stand alone recording unit (like a GoPro, but not a GoPro) and sprung for the external mic, so hopefully the audio will be better then from my iPhone in the future, now I just need to get more detecting trips on the table thumbs down
December 10, 2020 09:41PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > good job ! But ... Shhhh.... don't tell anyone
> t
> > hat I got my b*tt kicked on this trek. Ok ? :
> S
>
>
> HEY---HEY---I HEARD TOM GOT HIS BUTT KICKED ON THAT TREK!!!!!smiling smiley

Don't ask Tom how many coins he dug on this trip spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

We did a bunch of research for new sites, and thought for sure this was going to be an epic trip with all of the new sites we'd spend endless hours of time researching and discussing....and wouldn't you know it, they all sucked!
December 10, 2020 09:46PM
Bayard Wrote:
> What is a "back pocket" site?

A known producing backup site, which is where my Morgan and Barber quarter were dug (Greg dug a buffalo there, and I'll let Tom tell you what he dug eye rolling smiley

This site wasn't even remotely on our to do list, but when we bombed out on all the other sites, we decided to hit it on the way back. I'd definitely detect it again, it's a big site with lots of conductors left (and lots of iron of all shapes and sizes). The first time we detected it years ago Tom dug a seated dime there (and admittedly I believe I dug no silver coins, I think I did dig a buffalo nickle, can't remember it's been a few years).
December 10, 2020 11:09PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
>...
>
> Don't ask Tom how many coins he dug on this trip (
> tongue sticking out smiley)
>

Hey fellow forumites : See how cruel this Brian Cal-Cobra fella is ? eye rolling smiley

>...
> ..and wouldn't you know it, they all sucked!
>

None of them were brimming with coins, as some of our past exploits had been. But it was fun trying. And we didn't lack for age-indicators at some of the sites we reconn'd for the first time. Fun just for history sakes alone. Although, yes, I'd have preferred a key date seated or a gold coin, haha . On the next trip, we shall find the next legendary virgin stage stop, full of seateds, haha
December 10, 2020 11:11PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
>.... The first time we detected it years ago Tom
> dug a seated dime there (and admittedly I believe
> I dug no silver coins, I think I did dig a buffal
> o nickle, can't remember it's been a few years).

No, you dug zero coins @ that trip to that site. Can you spell Z-E-R-O ? winking smiley
December 11, 2020 02:58AM
Nice work. Congrats!
December 11, 2020 06:25AM
OUTSTANDING, Brian! A gorgeous semi-key Barber quarter, and then a MORGAN???

CONGRATS!!!

Steve
December 11, 2020 05:44PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >.... The first time we detected it years ago Tom dug a seated dime there (and admittedly I believe I dug no silver coins, I think I did dig a buffalo nickle, can't remember it's been a few years).
>
> No, you dug zero coins @ that trip to that site. Can you spell Z-E-R-O ? winking smiley

Oh you must mean like the Z-E-R-O coins Tom_in_CA bagged on this trip with his fancy new cats-meow machine and his Dino3K drinking smiley
December 11, 2020 05:46PM
ecris Wrote:
> Nice work. Congrats!

Thanks!
December 11, 2020 05:50PM
steveg Wrote:
> OUTSTANDING, Brian! A gorgeous semi-key Barber quarter, and then a MORGAN???
>
> CONGRATS!!!
>
> Steve

Thanks Steve!

We were really dreaming about seated and bust silver, but we take what we get right thumbs down

Tom had delusions of grandeur of his umpteenth gold coin with his new french poodle and Dino3K, but, yeah, that didn't happen eye popping smiley
December 12, 2020 09:23AM
French poodle, LOL!

I don't know what surprises me more -- that he is actually swinging a second machine now (besides his EXII), OR that he chose a Deus over an Equinox (NOT that the Deus isn't a really good machine, of course). I guess I would have thought -- given that he's noted that his EXII is not the BEST machine for "ghost-townsy" hunting, as you guys call it -- that if he were going to take the plunge and commit to learning a new, faster-recovery unit for hunting in iron, that it would have been an EQX. Guess I "thought wrong." winking smiley

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2020 09:26AM by steveg.
December 12, 2020 02:26PM
steveg Wrote:
> French poodle, LOL!
>
> I don't know what surprises me more -- that he is
> actually swinging a second machine now (besides hi
> s EXII), OR that he chose a Deus over an Equinox (
> NOT that the Deus isn't a really good machine, of
> course). I guess I would have thought -- given th
> at he's noted that his EXII is not the BEST machin
> e for "ghost-townsy" hunting, as you guys call it
> -- that if he were going to take the plunge and co
> mmit to learning a new, faster-recovery unit for h
> unting in iron, that it would have been an EQX. G
> uess I "thought wrong." winking smiley
>

Steve, you have followed this evolution quite nicely !

But it fails to take into account that I am stubborn. SSSsshhh, don't tell Brian cal-cobra, ok ? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
> Steve
December 12, 2020 04:49PM
Tom_in_CA --

AHH. You are correct! I forgot that detail! winking smiley

OK, I won't tell Brian. It'll be our secret... LOL!

Steve
December 12, 2020 10:38PM
steveg Wrote:
> French poodle, LOL!
>
> I don't know what surprises me more -- that he is actually swinging a second machine now (besides his EXII), OR that he chose a Deus over an Equinox (NOT that the Deus isn't a really good machine, of course). I guess I would have thought -- given that he's noted that his EXII is not the BEST machine for "ghost-townsy" hunting, as you guys call it -- that if he were going to take the plunge and commit to learning a new, faster-recovery unit for hunting in iron, that it would have been an EQX. Guess I "thought wrong." winking smiley
>
> Steve

Steve,

When Tom originally had an EQX800 when they first landed he was more enamored with flipping it to make a quick buck, and it didn't receive the proper endorsement from his "go-to" mentor at the time, so IMHO he didn't really give it a proper workout. Sure he did test it a bit, but I suspect that had he stuck with it, with as much time as he gets to detect and spend twiddling around with machines, he'd probably be the premier Equinox expert by now and his results would show that. He also wants something that one ups his Explorer 2 on all fronts, and although Steve you figured out deep coin turf hunting with success on the Equinox in trashy parks, it's not something that I or most others in his circle really care about, so we haven't put the effort in (nor do we want to) to unlock it's ability as a park hunter (who wants to bust their butt all day to dig a silver rosie when you can be digging seateds and gold coins ha ha).

I suspect that since it's been out a few years now and he's hunted with a bunch of Equinox owners and their results have, ah-hem spanked him a time or two, that at the very least, he may have a renewed respect for the Equinox, although he still went with the XP because that's what his his "go-to" mentor endorses (heck what do us mere mortals know?).

BTW someone had a similar response on Steve H's forum, so if my post looks familiar, it is smiling smiley
December 17, 2020 10:49PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Steve,
>
> When Tom originally had an EQX800 when they first
> landed he was more enamored with flipping it to ma
> ke a quick buck, and it didn't receive the
> proper endorsement from his "go-to" mentor at the
> time, so IMHO he didn't really give it a proper wo
> rkout. Sure he did test it a bit, but I suspect t
> hat had he stuck with it, with as much time as he
> gets to detect and spend twiddling around with mac
> hines, he'd probably be the premier Equinox expert
> by now and his results would show that. He also
> wants something that one ups his Explorer 2 on all
> fronts, and although Steve you figured out deep co
> in turf hunting with success on the Equinox in tra
> shy parks, it's not something that I or most other
> s in his circle really care about, so we haven't p
> ut the effort in (nor do we want to) to unlock it'
> s ability as a park hunter (who wants to bust thei
> r butt all day to dig a silver rosie when you can
> be digging seateds and gold coins ha ha).
>
> I suspect that since it's been out a few years now
> and he's hunted with a bunch of Equinox owners and
> their results have, ah-hem spanked him a time or t
> wo, that at the very least, he may have a renewed
> respect for the Equinox, although he still went wi
> th the XP because that's what his his "go-to" ment
> or endorses (heck what do us mere mortals know?).
>
> BTW someone had a similar response on Steve H's fo
> rum, so if my post looks familiar, it is smiling smiley

Brian,

Gotcha! Thanks for the additional info. I would think it would be easier for a long-time FBS user to learn an Equinox (Minelab DNA) than to learn a Deus, as I know that for me, there's a certain "familiar" feel to the Equinox, moving over from FBS. But there's no doubt the Deus is a really good machine in iron -- as many folks attest to.

Still, I sure would have loved to have seen Tom work long enough to master how to turf hunt for deep coins, with the Equinox...

Steve
December 19, 2020 12:18AM
The Explorer menu system was far superior to the Equinox'.
December 19, 2020 02:38AM
Cal...... you should have left something for Tom. I thought you two were friends....