Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

TOM in Cali Deus advice

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
TOM in Cali Deus advice
December 28, 2020 02:40AM
This is my advice...[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2020 02:41AM by calabash digger.
Re: TOM in Cali Deus advice
December 28, 2020 06:24AM
Great example Cal of the long false tone or as you described as forced audio. Now magnify that 10x and you have with what we deal with out west in the old ghost towns. Old rusted cans that have been discarded and deteriorating for a 100+ yrs or more and blew across the ground like dried leaves in a strong wind. Oh also add squares nails, and all the other type of stuff that might also throw a detector off. Well thats my type sites anyways just assuming what Tom is talking about is similar in the old sites in Cali. Great vid Cal
December 28, 2020 01:12PM
Yeah that sounds tough.... My main point is this .IF someone is going to learn the Deus they need to set it up as a starting point and leave the settings alone. The Deus acts like a different machine when you change some of the settings...so every time you change it your basically going backwards in the learning curve...
December 28, 2020 01:17PM
BTW I noticed from the video that the iron audio was not coming in...It is machine gun iron under the coil . This was a (Working) plantation from the 1700s that went up thur the Civil War. Iron is horrendous...Big iron, small iron , and thousands of square nails...
December 28, 2020 01:37PM
Hey there Cal, thanx for taking the time to make that video. You are definitely an asset to the md'ing forum & community. Great inputs. And thank you to others who answered my lament post, and who PM'd me, and who talked to me on the phone, etc.... And thanx to Dankowski forum for making all this communication possible.

Ok, to address what you (and others) have been saying regarding my lament : Re.: the "you need more practice" and "spend 400 to 500 hrs.", etc.... : I can ALREADY tell the audio difference that all of you are alluding to. On that maiden voyage (with two 800 users, who kicked my #ss on conductive target count), I could ALREADY tell what was 99% likely to be flat tin. Thus, no, I don't need "400 to 500 hrs." to attain to that level of ability.

Here's the problem I see with passing those signals, that you and I can agree are probably large iron : If a Deus user *only* opts to chase the signals with the *obvious* conductive tone, then guess what ? That merely means he's opting to go for the ones where the Deus has a "clear line of sight" to the object. Ie.: Not masked. Right ? Hence the sweet signal that, yes, is different than the iron signal in your video. Do we agree so far ? If so, herein lies the problem : If I was only going to go for the ones with a "clear line of sight" (ie.: not masked), then : Why even use a Deus in the first place then ? My Explorer can accomplish the same thing on un-obstructed clear-line-of-sight targets. Isn't the "cat's meow" ability of the Deus is to see through and around iron better ? If I only wanted to go for the objects that weren't masked (and thus giving the tell-tale 4-star signal), then I could merely have stayed with my Exp. II. See ?

I have done many many tests with sample objects that I brought back from that recent ghost town trip : Various sample pieces of the flat tin iron . Sizes that were quarter to domino sized. And the material resembled rusty coffee-can material, or roofing material (ie.: thickness of an index card). And then I compared those signals to the signal of an unobstructed penny, dime, pulltab, nickel, etc.... And yes, of course : There is the VERY DIFFERENCE that you are describing in your video . But here's where the devil starts to be in the details :

Take a nice fat rusty square nail. Place it squarely over a nickel or dime (with both touching and not touching for test-sakes). And I believe you will see that (drumroll), that although you might be a repeatable signal (the cat's meow of the Deus seeing through iron), yet guess what ? It is no longer that "4-star conductive" signal. It might resemble the flat tin sound now, right ? In other words, the moment anyone starts to employ the audio tricks that your video explains, is the moment they might ALSO be abandoning the "see through" ability of that machine.

Perhaps not for the quite-large type example of iron in your video. Because yes, on that video target : The SIZE ALONE of that particular sample was *too obvious*. So I'm talking the smaller flat tin pieces. That can mimic coin size. Or rusty crown caps, for example. Such that, even though someone could tell it's not "clean" (like a conductive target sitting in a clean-line-of-sight), yet it *could* be a nail over a conductive target. Right ?

The nails , when alone, are EASY to pass. The Deus does NOT get repeatable beeps on nails (like the repeatable beep in your video). So nails are not the issue of Deus weakness. It's the flat tin (even small pieces) and rusty crown caps. And I have a sneaking suspicion that the moment someone goes to employ the audio tricks, he has now risked that he's likewise passing coins under nails or under flat tin, etc......
December 28, 2020 01:41PM
But my post above is questioning the "masked" objects audio results. Where NO clean "line of sight" exists.

It fails to take into account another factor : Target separation. Because, for example, a nail *next* to a coin, can still be masked with the Explorer. Since they are so-close . Right ? Yet the Deus, with the super fast recovery, can realize the "clean line of sight" to the object (since it's not fully masked, and is only/merely "next" to the nail).

Thus I acknowledge that this, alone, would spank an Explorer. So the point of my concern therefore is only when the nail is truly over the top of a coin, with no "line of sight" anymore. Such that the machine is now testing it's ability to AVERAGE, not SEPARATE . Is this making sense ?
December 28, 2020 03:07PM
Tom,
You have to subject the Deus to a lot of masking/unmasking scenarios in the wild using the detector. You can get tips here. But the real deal is using the machine.

There are NO true go/no go detectors when it comes to unmasking nonferrous amongst ferrous materials.
So no green light or red light detectors.

Now, here is a very good question.
Anyone here can weigh in.

How many VLF detectors will yield a nonferrous (recognizable) tone yet the detector yields a typical iron ID?
And do this quite often over severely makes nonferrous targets. Granted some of the nonferrous signals can be not exactly textbook yet to a trained ear are very suspicious sounding.
And if we check head to head where Deus has infact detected such a target meeting these conditions, how many other VLF models will go whiff? Or give iron tone.
Now it is true many VLF might/will alert on nonferrous masked targets and give iron audio tone.

Deus XY screen use, coil position, coil height variations, and use of iron audio will expose a lot of junk targets that give some what sounds like nonferrous tone. Yet on some junk targets the audio presentation itself when totally listened to (by a highly proficient Deus user) will tell them to WALK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2020 03:09PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 28, 2020 03:29PM
The one thing imo that will tell if a person has learned Deus when hunting in and around iron.

Is if they are digging signals reading either 00, 01, 02 or 03 in the meter.
Yeah these targets (nonferrous) won’t be deep usually, why Deus gives the ID in meter.

I could even tell by changing settings on Deus after target location and get a good idea to level of masking.

I could even hit a target with EQX 800 and compare field 2 and park 2 using multi freq. and then use 20hkz and 40 kHz single freq.
And based on my results gotten.
I could tell super high percentage of time if a Deus with LF coil would hit with any settings period.
I could even tell if Deus using either the LF coil or the high freq coils, if the 14khz band would strike strike or not high percentage of time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2020 03:33PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 28, 2020 03:46PM
WHAT TN said about the audio is dead on correct. A experienced user can tell a high percentage of the time..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2020 09:20PM by calabash digger.
December 28, 2020 04:38PM
Coincidence or pure luck ?
You decide.

I ran an Etrac boatloads using 10x12 self coil and a 6” coil in this one site for 2 years.
I ran CTX with stock coil and smallest coil for 2 years.
I even ran Deus using 9” and 11” LF coil for more than 2 years in this site.
I even tested and ran Nokta Impact using stock and smallest coil
Vista warrior with stock coil,

There is a sugar maple tree in this site.
So a good reference to my whereabouts using all the detectors above.

Up jumps the Hf elliptical coil I bought for Deus.
First outing in this site (I was pure greenhorn with Coil). Notta.
Second and third times there.

I found one Spanish bit.
One war nickel.
One seated half dime.

Funny thing is I was so familiar with this area running detectors.
I could can remember hitting the war nickel with CTX.
I didn’t dig because audio sounded so corrupt like iron with ID going bonkers. Not a nickel ID nor a high conductor ID.

So I made more nice finds in this one area in matter of minutes where I spent numerous hours using a lot of other detectors, even Deus with LF coils.

Even had a bud with me in this site (area) week before I took Hf Coil inntheor first time. We both played ring around the sugar tree numerous times too.
Neither of us found anything that day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2020 04:41PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 29, 2020 08:26PM
thanx Tn-sharpshoot and CAL. Really appreciate your inputs.

I am going to take this "French poodle" out to a back-pocket site later this afternoon. With a few buddies. This site dates to 1849-ish, and was defunct by perhaps the early 1870s (barring random passerbys). It has given up early seateds, early foreign coins, relics, etc..... And after a short while (after getting all the easy-gimmee-4-star signals out of the way), then it got to the point where we must work the iron zones for more difficult targets. That meant that there came a point where their 800's were clobbering my Exp. II. Doh ! Since the Exp., of course, is not known for being an iron-see-through machine.

So later this afternoon will be the first time a French poodle has been there. And I'll have a good "benchmark" to judge it by, since A ) I already used my Exp. II there a few times, and B ) I'll be hunting alongside 800s. I will let y'all know the results.

If there are a lot of targets to choose from, then I will probably gravitate towards the "easy gimmee conductors" (that we can all agree are discernible via audio). I suppose that means "kiss the masked conductors goodbye" ?

Anyhow, stay tuned to this channel for a hunt recap , in the next couple of days.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2020 08:35PM by Tom_in_CA.
December 30, 2020 12:21AM
A Deus with a 9hf coil in the hands of a experienced user will out hunt a 800 in the thickest iron on average.
I am very capable with both machines and they compliment each other very well. The Equinox hunts iron very well but the Deus is a better pure iron hunter IMO...

One thing to think about Tom is the Deus will give a 4 star signal on a lot of targets another detector might not even see...or report as a junky signal..

You will get the hang of what masked targets sound like ... DO NOT PUT IT down you will click with it after you use it for awhile..

You are gonna have to master another unit besides the Explorer.
It is either gonna be a 800 or a Deus.I know which one I would start with...

The French poodle...Good luck!
December 30, 2020 12:23AM
BTW please do tell how your running the machine . I cant find the post where you said what your program is....
December 30, 2020 12:31AM
Tom already gave the Equinox a shot & got rid of it.-----calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A Deus with a 9hf coil in the hands of a experienc
> ed user will out hunt a 800 in the thickest iron o
> n average.
> I am very capable with both machines and they com
> pliment each other very well. The Equinox hunts ir
> on very well but the Deus is a better pure iron hu
> nter IMO...
>
> One thing to think about Tom is the Deus will give
> a 4 star signal on a lot of targets another detect
> or might not even see...or report as a junky signa
> l..
>
> You will get the hang of what masked targets sound
> like ... DO NOT PUT IT down you will click with it
> after you use it for awhile..
>
> You are gonna have to master another unit besides
> the Explorer.
> It is either gonna be a 800 or a Deus.I know which
> one I would start with...
>
> The French poodle...Good luck!
December 30, 2020 02:58AM
Calabash, Does the type of dirt cause a user to have to adjust the unit differently , which in turn causes the machine to react differently to targets in nasty soil?
I know you have mild sandy dirt, and Tom has crappy dirt. Comparing the target depths in dirt on each end of the spectrum of dirt, the bad dirt kills depth.
Does the bad dirt also screw up the target signals also? Causing you to have great success and Tom to want to wrap his around the nearest tree?
Also understanding the experience factor of course. Interesting discussion.
December 30, 2020 01:08PM
It does change the way it behaves for sure...a higher reactivity does better in hotter ground from my experience and from what others have told me who hunt that type of soil .

I would think the sink rate is different in the ghost towns than it is here my soft sandy soil...

I would think the majority of targets are shallow out there...where here on some sites the average is 9 inches or so.. I might me wrong but that is what I was thinking....
December 30, 2020 03:12PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> thanx Tn-sharpshoot and CAL. Really appreciate y
> our inputs.
>
> I am going to take this "French poodle" out to a b
> ack-pocket site later this afternoon. With a few
> buddies. This site dates to 1849-ish, and was d
> efunct by perhaps the early 1870s (barring random
> passerbys). It has given up early seateds, early
> foreign coins, relics, etc..... And after a sho
> rt while (after getting all the easy-gimmee-4-star
> signals out of the way), then it got to the point
> where we must work the iron zones for more difficu
> lt targets. That meant that there came a point w
> here their 800's were clobbering my Exp. II. Doh
> ! Since the Exp., of course, is not known for bei
> ng an iron-see-through machine.
>
> So later this afternoon will be the first time a F
> rench poodle has been there. And I'll have a good
> "benchmark" to judge it by, since A ) I already us
> ed my Exp. II there a few times, and B ) I'll be h
> unting alongside 800s. I will let y'all know the
> results.
>
> If there are a lot of targets to choose from, then
> I will probably gravitate towards the "easy gimmee
> conductors" (that we can all agree are discernible
> via audio). I suppose that means "kiss the maske
> d conductors goodbye" ?
>
> Anyhow, stay tuned to this channel for a hunt reca
> p , in the next couple of days.

So how did it go Tom? BTW, how do you know I didn't sneak in there with my poodle.

El
December 30, 2020 07:49PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> BTW please do tell how your running the machine .
> I cant find the post where you said what your prog
> ram is....

My settings are :

Disc: 5.5,

full tones,

sens. 90,

frequency : back & forth trials between 17 to 25,

iron volume 1,

reactivity 3,

audio response: 5,

target volume 5,

silencer : -1,

audio overload: 0,

GB 85,

contrast 10 ,

transmit power 2

possum mo Wrote:
> Calabash, Does the type of dirt cause a user to h
> ave to adjust the unit differently , which in turn
> causes the machine to react differently to targets
> in nasty soil?
>

Possum : IMHO, the only thing that varying soils will do, is affect depth. Ie.: to be off-of-ground-balance , affects depth. And actually, believe it or not, depth is/was never my objective with this machine. Instead, it is strictly for iron-see-through ability situations . Oh sure, I won't argue with depth either, but in my case , for current purposes, it's not a high priority.

Heck, I always pulled out a Tesoro Bandito , in the past, for such iron-ridden sites. And the depth on that is VERY wimpy (especially in bad ground). So for me, at present, I'm not too concerned about depth. My immediate concern is to overcome ghost-townsy-masking type situations.

calabash digger Wrote:
> One thing to think about Tom is the Deus will give
> a 4 star signal on a lot of targets another detect
> or might not even see...or report as a junky signa
> l..
>
> You will get the hang of what masked targets sound
> like ... DO NOT PUT IT down you will click with it
> after you use it for awhile..

Thanx Cal. My beef, right now, with the Deus, is NOT a LACK of ability to give a "4-star signal" on a goodie. NO PROBLEMS THERE. My beef is the machines INABILITY to reject flat tin, etc...

Oh sure, I can reject them via audio, if all I intend is to only chase is the conductors with a "clear line of site" (not masked). But then I have to admit to myself that , in those cases : Gee, my Explorer II would have seen them as well. Doh ! eye rolling smiley

I will give my report from last night's hunt in the next post.

Elbert Wrote:

>
> So how did it go Tom? BTW, how do you know I didn'
> t sneak in there with my poodle.
>
> El

El, good to hear from you. No, this site is several hours from you and me. However, I did get that gun (that you might have seen on the FMDF a few days ago) at a site that you and I discussed a year or so ago. Drop me an email and I'll let you know where that came from .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2020 08:30PM by Tom_in_CA.
December 30, 2020 08:00PM
Full tones try running disc 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0..
If using say 2 tone or 3 tone or pitch tones trying running disc at 6.0.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2020 08:03PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 30, 2020 08:15PM
Got out to a location in CA that has given up gold rush era coins and goodies in the past. Eg.: Seateds from the 1840s/50s, foreign coins from the 1840s/50s, Chinese cash-coins, buckles and buttons, etc...... And the location has zones that are a CARPET of nails and iron. Was anxious to try the French poodle there. My two buddies were each using their 800s.

I purposefully went STRAIGHT to the worst zones (that I knew from prior trips), instead of trolling the cleaner zones (which we've hammered anyhow, haha). Because I wanted to see how it would do in zones that I know for a fact shut-down a machine like the Explorer (a constant null/grunt of iron). The results were : About 15 to 17-ish conductive targets, that I won't bore you with pictures of. They were just camp lead, rivets, shotgun butts, a few teeny copper doohickies, etc..... I'm sure that some of those would have been seen by an explorer. Who knows. But others, yes, I credit to the Deus ability . And my iron junk count was 19. So about a 50/50 ratio. Not *too* bad. But then again, I was passing a lot of sketchy signals that *could* have been conductors trying to bleed through.

So the issue is NOT "does a Deus register them or not". The main issue is the Deus LACK of ability to give any difference over flat tin, large iron, etc..... Oh sure, I can do it via audio, if I wanted (Eg.: reject bigger signals since, sure, they're probably axe-heads, RR spike kind of stuff, etc....). And use audio to reject smaller bottle cap sounds, etc.... Sure, I don't deny that there's audio tricks for that. But the devil is in the details, IMHO : Because the moment I go to do THAT, is the moment I could be passing the fabled "coin-under-the-nail" scenario.

As it turns out, my buddies with their 800s only had similar target counts. And they too, since they were 'grasping for straws' in a worked-out-site, were dealing with iron. But only because they were purposefully "grasping for straws". I think their tallies could have been slightly better than mine, for conductors. Though none of us got any coins or better-relics last night.

It turned out to be a bad place & time to try to learn the Deus after all. Because the temperatures dropped to near freezing, and my fingers and knees froze up. Couldn't concentrate, haha. But for the 2-ish hours that I did give it a good concentration, I'd say that this is simply a machine that is NEVER going to have an ability to effortlessly pass iron, as my Explorer was keen to do. I could go for hours with the Explorer, and often time NEVER dig ANY iron. Except for perhaps things like iron O-rings, larger cast-iron (axe-head type things), etc..... But the Deus "rings the bells of Notre Dame" on even small cast-iron. That other machines would effortlessly reject. And to whatever extent there is audio tricks, yet I have a sneaking suspicion that this would mean you'd also risk missing the "coin-under-the-nail" (which don't give a "clean" signal).

Here's an example , from last night, of the type iron junk that the Deus gives perfectly repeatable signals over :

December 30, 2020 08:36PM
The term you use.
Perfectly repeatable. Is in fact in error.
Why?
Try those iron junk targets in your pic and adjust your coil position fore and aft and sweep. Ensure iron tone is on where you easily hear.
Try the same on bottlecap.
Then try on a small gold coin, nickel, etc.

See if you notice a difference. In tonal behavior when comparing the items.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2020 08:37PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 30, 2020 08:46PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> The term you use.
> Perfectly repeatable. Is in fact in error.
> Why?
> Try those iron junk targets in your pic and adjust
> your coil position fore and aft and sweep. Ensure
> iron tone is on where you easily hear.
> Try the same on bottlecap.
> Then try on a small gold coin, nickel, etc.
>
> See if you notice a difference. In tonal behavior
> when comparing the items.

Thanx Tn-sharpshoot. I will try that right now.........
December 30, 2020 09:13PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The term you use.
> > Perfectly repeatable. Is in fact in error.
> > Why?
> > Try those iron junk targets in your pic and adju
> st
> > your coil position fore and aft and sweep. Ensu
> re
> > iron tone is on where you easily hear.
> > Try the same on bottlecap.
> > Then try on a small gold coin, nickel, etc.
> >
> > See if you notice a difference. In tonal behavi
> or
> > when comparing the items.
>
>
> Thanx Tn-sharpshoot. I will try that right now..
> .......

Turn on your XY screen and see what differences you note.
You may need to adjust Xp screen. See instruction booklet.

Bottom line.
Based on my experiences using CTX and Etrac. Both of which are at least equal to Explorer. I think both actually have advantages to explore models.
Deus even using LF coils, plus HF coils.
Deus can be used faster and find nonferrous in a nail ridden site.
High conductors Explorer more near Deus actually for locating.
As conducive level falls though Deus faster machine to locate these things. Will allow for more coil sweep error, more coil position error. Keep in mind the more masked a target the more critical sweep speed and coil position.
Targets the Deus gives no brained nonferous tone on, just because Deus gives no brainer tone,, this DOES NOT mean other detectors especially Explorer would even alert on period. It may, it may struggle with nonferous tone, it may null.
There are real simple on top of the ground test to do with Deus and compare with Explorer.
A dime under a nail with nail being progressively shifter closer to plane of nail.
A nickel or a say $2.50 gold coin.
I encourage you to do.
And the behavior noted with Deus will be a lot like what you will hear in the field.
So when you make the setup the most challengavle for Deus yet it gives sign of tone. Take note. Note meter is readings. Adjust your sweep speed and reactivity settings and your silencer settings.

With practice one can dodge a lot of junk targets with Deus.
Deeper junk targets though can be problematic.
Deus is not a good fill dirt area detector imo.

Remember how one comes upon a target angle wise can be a deal breaker with one VLF detector but maybe not the Deus, just a mere 5 degrees can be a big deal if a VLF detector picks up a nonferous target and yield nonferous tone.
Gridding an area can help even with a Deus.
But law of averages says Deus would need less gridding to detect equal numbers of targets in a nail ridden site vs day Explorer, Etrac, CTX and many other detectors.

Just accept Deus for what it is and what it can do.
Same with Explorer.

Don’t tangle the toe up in your head.
Bad to do imo.

Deus is for real. Make no mistake.
Dankowski keeps a Xp goldmaxx oower on hand for a REASON.
And I have seen why first hand.

Eye opening what can be left in a site nonferrous wise in a nail ridden site. After sites have been pounded with fbs/fbs2 machines.
No matter how good a person is with a fbs/fb2 detector you cannot match a Deus in what it can find nonferous wise inna site.

The only way to do would be for the fbs/fbs2 runner to dig everything ferrous sounding in a site. Who wants to do that? Not me. For sure.

A lot of nonferrous found with Deus in nail ridden site will be junk. But one of those junks nonferrous) might turn out to be a lifetime find too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2020 09:14PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 30, 2020 09:17PM
Ok. I just tried it. Waved the various targets shown in the pix. From every compass degree swing angle . Ie.: As if I had "circled the target" in the field. And I'm afraid to say that all but one of them still gave a repeatable signal, from all directions. One of them ..... yes .... only sounded from a single direction. But the rest were repeatable sad smiley

And yes, the nickel, in the same test "sounded different" . But then we're back to the starting point though : If I "wait for those clean line of sight" signals , then I can be abandoning the VERY PURPOSE that machine is renowned for : Un-masking. Because I'm pretty durned certain that a coin under a nail can also give those-type-signals you'd call as "iron" (if you're using your ears to make those judgement calls).

So again : It's NOT that I can't find a difference (like in the test you prescribed). It's just that I'm afraid the devil will be in the details. In other words, its not what the machine WILL DO, it's what the machine WON'T DO. sad smiley

Kind of reminds me of the 1990s debates over the merits and demerits of the CZ6, if you've been around long enough to remember those days : The CZ6 utterly blew away every machine, on the market, for depth. NO PROBLEM AT ALL getting a dime or quarter to nearly a foot, eh ? Who could argue with that, eh ? But the devil was in the details : In order to avail yourself of that fabulous depth, the poor CZ6 guys were cursed with bent nails. Ie.: they could kiss any reliable TID goodbye, once they got beyond ~ 6" of depth. Once they got much beyond that, then the coins AND the bent nails BOTH could mimic the same signal. Oh .... sure, the debate raged on and on about ways to tell them apart. Sure. But in the final analysis, most of the honest CZ6 users did indeed concede this point.

So I will continue to try it out in upcoming hunts . Will keep practicing.
December 30, 2020 09:53PM
Tom,
Take junk targets lay on ground.
Sweep from 4” above.
As you sweep when you get signal on junk target (ferrous) as you continue to sweep move coil fore and aft. As coil’s perimeter goes over target. Listen. With iron volume at 3.
Repeat with nickel, gold ring, or dime.

Note as coil’s perimeter is over true nonferrous target, audio not corrupted, and iron volume silent.

Btw, it is possible the front of a coil or the back may give better indication of junk ferrous target.
Using elliptical Hf coil seems the back does better.

Any Deus newbie wanting to be all they can be with Deus.
Watch all this gents videos.

Here’s one.
Bottle Cap Identification.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2020 10:07PM by tnsharpshooter.
December 30, 2020 10:14PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Tom,
> Take junk targets lay on ground.
> Sweep from 4” above.
> As you sweep when you get signal on junk target (f
> errous) as you continue to sweep move coil fore an
> d aft. As coil’s perimeter goes over target. Li
> sten. With iron volume at 3.
> Repeat with nickel, gold ring, or dime.
>
> Note as coil’s perimeter is over true nonferrous t
> arget, audio not corrupted, and iron volume silent
> .
>
> Btw, it is possible the front of a coil or the bac
> k may give better indication of junk ferrous targe
> t.
> Using elliptical Hf coil seems the back does bette
> r.
>
> Any Deus newbie wanting to be all they can be wit
> h Deus.
> Watch all this gents videos.
>
> Here’s one.
> Bottle Cap Identification.
> [m.youtube.com]

TN: I will practice with what you say. However, would what-you're saying hold true with nickel and gold ring *IF* they were covered by a nail ?

In other words, you continue to give me tips (thanks) for telling conductors apart from iron. WHICH NO ONE IS DISPUTING. The much BIGGER question is, do these tricks work to ID the flat iron nemesis , simply allow the fabled coin-under-the-nail to become the same "reject" signal ?

I can definitely hear a coin under a nail (depending on size of nail, type of coin, angle of sweep, etc...). So at first blush, I was quite happy with that. And yes, it does it in the field too. Much like the old school 2-filter Tesoros would do it, but .... obviously better depth, better TID, better in varying ground conditions, etc.... Hence, so far so good ! But the problem then becomes, that it also gives repeatable beeps on too much cr#p (which you don't seem to dispute) And yes, there's "tricks" to overcome this, and pass a lot of those. No one is disputing that the tricks will work. Heck, I can ALREADY tell a conductor apart from the probable flat iron. Certain signals, yes, sound clean, etc.... So the issue is not the "tricks" and "audio". The issue is : Am I risking missing the fabled coin-under-the-nail, which might ALSO fail the "tricks". See ?
December 30, 2020 10:24PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
>
> Here’s one.
> Bottle Cap Identification.
> [m.youtube.com]

thanx ! A picture is worth a thousand words. That was helpful to understand what you meant. I think I thought you were merely talking about going different angles of sweep. But now I see what you were talking about. Ok.

Now the million dollar question is : If that fellow had done THE SAME TEST, with a coin under a nail, I wonder if he might ALSO have missed the coin ? Mind you, we're talking about a coin that is indeed registering (overcoming the masking). Yet, of course, since it's battling the nail, it won't be a "clean" signal. Might it also mimic the result the fellow got, when showing how to reject the bottle cap ? I'll do some field testing and get back to you !

Thanx TN-sharpshooter ! You are an asset to the md'ing community. And I will name my next gold coin after you smiling smiley
December 30, 2020 10:27PM
It is windy here today.
I will do a few videos that I think will help you.
And demonstrate Deus ability vs Etrac.

Here’s a good video.
Granted it is the ORX Xp detector being used.
Trust me.
Deus behavior more or less the same,

Recognizing iron video using ORX.
By same gent.
[m.youtube.com]
December 30, 2020 10:36PM
Tom----I think you are talking yourself into sticking with your Explorer2 and Bandito.-----Here's a novel idea----try Brians Multi Kruzer---or better yet---try an Multi Anfibio.
December 30, 2020 10:55PM
Alright.
Here’s my opinion.
Calabash has already said.

After one digs 500 holes on supposed located targets. Yes some will be nonferrous, some will be ferrous. Some may even be a combo nonferrous and ferrous.
Then after the 500 holes one will have a good data base in their mind.
They will be able to start applying percentages odds wise on a target, if it is iron or nonferrous object.
After 1000 holes dug this data base even better.
And the odds one places will be even more accurate.

I have even alluded to this placing odds in former post here talking about Deus. And yes even the EQX.

You can read and watch all the videos you want.
You need to dig to start your data base. In which to make better dig/no dig decisions.

Every metal detector made I think still needs some human decision making.
Probably the better the detector the more decision making needs to be done. Likely contradictory in one’s thinking here. Meaning a better detector would need less decision making. Better detector means swing and the detector will point out the no brainer targets. Like dig these no brainer targets and site is purged. Sounds easy right? Wrong.

The engineers at Xp I think could have made the detector give better ID. But is it possible a lot of the nicer finds wouldn’t have been dug using Deus due to ID in error. Vs just a nice sweet little tone with a nice rise and fall in the signal nuance.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2020 10:59PM by tnsharpshooter.