Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detector and coil combinations?

Posted by Soky72 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detector and coil combinations?
January 13, 2021 08:55PM
I know there's several advanced detectors currently on the market which many of us own at least one of but what are some detector and coil combinations that still fill a particular niche for you? Are some of the newer aftermarket coils making older detectors more relevant again at least in some situations?
Re: Detector and coil combinations?
January 13, 2021 10:53PM
Got to go with the DFX with a bigfoot coil in parks or sports fields, dry sand or damp, salt beaches, lots of sq. Feet
Covered for the time put in, dead on pinpointing, a coin and jewelry vacuum. So good this coil is banned from seeded
Hunts
Kruzer multi with the 6 in coil in water works very well
January 13, 2021 11:27PM
I can't argue with calibil above. I've got a number of the newer detectors with extra coils but the BigFoot coil on a DFX or V3i does a job that no other detector/coil combo can match.
January 14, 2021 12:00AM
Depth on the Bigfoot coil?
January 14, 2021 08:41AM
Ideal circumstances if you can run PAG (pre amp gain at maximun of 4) and set the other parameters correctly
For the terrian your hunting, a copper penny at 10 inches is about the max for me. ( including 2 inches of turf) I don't expect to get a lot of depth but thats not the goal here, its to cover lots of area in less time. Other detectors can be used for deep silver or sub atomic gold . But understand there are a lot
Of adjustments like the v3i to make your detector hummm just right. There is a bit of a learning curve but take the time to master
Your metal detector you will succeed. I have found more jewelry AND rings with the DFX bigfoot combo than any other detector.
Tried the bigfoot on an MXT . It worked okay , the DFX can be adjusted to change
How the big foot coil works, ( many different ways ) this is way to awesome , ( sorry no cheat codes ).
The only other detectors I am familiar with that can actually change how the coil transmits a signal throught a sofware
Change setting is the GPX/ TDI /Infinium type pulse machines and the timing settings.
January 14, 2021 08:01PM
The XL-PRO with Bigfoot coil is good to in jewelry/coin hunting sports fields especially with the Tone I.D. mod as
4 tone is Quarter up so makes a great Quarter rake without having to stare at the meter. Also it being a 4 filter detector you can cover a lot of ground fast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2021 08:56PM by Harold,ILL..
January 14, 2021 08:39PM
Ole Harold! smiling smiley
January 15, 2021 12:15AM
I had seen an article in a magazine one time where a guy with a V3 found a STUPID amount of quarters in one year using the Bigfoot, and he said that was the key....covering ground. The way they’re wound is pretty interesting with the “figure 8” too. A 10” coin...I’d have to see that one, but as was said, it’s a vacuum in the right situation.
January 17, 2021 04:24PM
I would be skeptical of aftermarket coils, that are supposed to "spank stock manufacturer coils". Because, think about it : If there were a "better mousetrap" to go on a detector, don't you think that the manufacturer would be "All over themselves" to put that, stock, on to their own machines ? They put a TON of research into optimizing their own product, before it ever even hits the market (much different than, say, the 1960s and '70s when such computerized precision and testing wasn't an option). So why would we think that an after market Co. can come along and just add inches or whatever ?

There used to be a brand of after-market coils that was heavily advertised in the 1980s treasure mag's. The name escapes me now. But the ads showed the depth of THEIR coils over the depth of the MAKER'S coils. So for example, if you put their coil on your Garrett or Whites, you could expect 2" more on a dime, etc..... But if you looked closely at the ads, you would THEN notice that their coil was simply bigger. Eg.: They're comparing the stock 8" coil to their 10" coil, blah blah. Well gee, OF COURSE a bigger coil goes deeper. SO TOO WOULD THE manufacturer's OWN larger coils go deeper eye rolling smiley . With all the inherent downsides of moving to a larger coil.

A friend of mine actually tried to reverse engineer a coil, to see if he could make a better coil, and eventually market it. He was in for a rude awaking when He began to realize JUST HOW advanced the engineering and issues are. Eg.: 1/1000th of an inch error in the windings can throw off everything entirely , etc.... It's all computer engineered in facilities which have super high tech stuff.

I'm sure there's exceptions. But as said, if a better mousetrap was available, then the manufacturer would be all over themselves to buy it up, and start issuing it on their own machine's as stock gear.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2021 04:27PM by Tom_in_CA.
January 17, 2021 08:09PM
That would be the 'Hot Head' series of coils.
January 17, 2021 09:34PM
IDXMonster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had seen an article in a magazine one time where
> a guy with a V3 found a STUPID amount of quarters
> in one year using the Bigfoot, and he said that wa
> s the key....covering ground. The way they’re woun
> d is pretty interesting with the “figure 8” too. A
> 10” coin...I’d have to see that one, but as was sa
> id, it’s a vacuum in the right situation.

I think it was 10000 quarters. Read it in WE Treasures.
January 17, 2021 11:11PM
Coinboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IDXMonster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I had seen an article in a magazine one time whe
> re
> > a guy with a V3 found a STUPID amount of quarter
> s
> > in one year using the Bigfoot, and he said that
> wa
> > s the key....covering ground. The way they’re wo
> un
> > d is pretty interesting with the “figure 8” too.
> A
> > 10” coin...I’d have to see that one, but as was
> sa
> > id, it’s a vacuum in the right situation.
>
> I think it was 10000 quarters. Read it in WE Treas
> ures.

That’s EXACTLY where I saw it. I think he had said how long it took and roughly how many hours a day he hunted, how many days, etc....I THINK. I also think I did the math and it didn’t make any sense but that’s neither here nor there. Wouldn’t be the first tall story in that publication...IMO.
January 18, 2021 12:50AM
For me in CA and AZ soil, a 5" coin is about as deep as the BigFoot will go. I think even a quarter at 6 inches would be missed. You're talking about a coil that's only about 4 inches wide, but bottle caps are nearly invisible to the BigFoot.
January 18, 2021 10:34AM
You cannot derive the range of the Bigfoot coil only from its 4 "width .. because the detection properties also depend on its length ...
January 18, 2021 01:40PM
> > IDXMonster Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> That’s EXACTLY where I saw it. I think he had said
> how long it took and roughly how many hours a day
> he hunted, how many days, etc....I THINK. I also t
> hink I did the math and it didn’t make any sense b
> ut that’s neither here nor there. Wouldn’t be the
> first tall story in that publication...IMO.

Yeah I don’t understand how people manage to drop 10000 quarters alone..