Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Meteorites in the south east i.e northwest Florida

Posted by meteoritehunter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Meteorites in the south east i.e northwest Florida
January 17, 2021 12:32AM
Any hunters know a place in Florida that will test and classify my pallasite that i witnessed fall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2021 12:34AM by meteoritehunter.
Re: Meteorites in the south east i.e northwest Florida
January 17, 2021 10:19AM
Wow! you watched a meteorite come down and then found it? Tell us the story, what, when, how?
January 25, 2021 05:19AM
Me and 2 nephews witnessed the fall in the summer of 69 or 70,about 10 yrs old all 3 of us.My dad was at work on 3 to 11 and we were laying on across his bed and looking out the window talking when the fireball hit about a mile north of the house. We thought a flying saucer had crashed and caught on fire as the woods caught on fire.
We told my mom and my sister,their mom and they just laughed at us. Well a few years ago one of my other nephews called and asked about it,hes an astrometer Mac/Hunter observatory and said one of the nephews had told him about it years ago,grown up now of course we knew it wasn't a saucer.lol .

Anyway i became a detectorist in 93 but didn't research meteorites so until Meteorite Men show premiered i had know idea that they could be found with a metal detector,I went to searching and within a couple days i found the 15-17 diameter crater and the third meteorite i found was a beautiful pallasite. Thing is i'm not mailing it to anyone and i'm not driving to Arizona to get it classified as i live in Cantonment fl. So are there any places in Florida that can do this?
January 25, 2021 07:00AM
About a year ago......... Orlando Science Center touched on this subject; yet, I'm uncertain as to what extent they have depth-of-knowledge. Maybe a University search could lead to better knowledge/resolution.
January 25, 2021 11:41AM
You might have better results reaching out to a university in a state where more have been found and of course more research has been done..... like AZ or NV. I know Doc of Docdetecting in Vegas and the guy who invented the swingy thingy had a guy who used to hunt them a good bit. I hunting with him many moons ago when i was traveling. Back then he used an Explorer and the sweet spot what that 31 31 i believe.... far upper right.
January 25, 2021 05:31PM
I was told to cut a small piece and send it to AZ. Some of them are worth big money.