Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

TARSACCI 12" COIL FIELD-TEST

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: TARSACCI 12" COIL FIELD-TEST
March 06, 2021 05:01PM
Once again Cliff ENLIGHTENED me lol. He mic’ed the coils..... 11” was .485 and the 12” was .504. That standard coil cover make it almost double in thickness I assume with air space in there.
March 06, 2021 07:08PM
I’ll put this here in this thread.
Weight of newest released bigger coil vs the original released smaller coil.
Weight reflected of stock coil (smaller) is with coil cover installed.
Enjoy.
[www.youtube.com]
March 07, 2021 02:08PM
My first run in the wild yesterday using 12” coil. Didn’t do any pre tests just went hunting. Did make some finds. In one of my previously hard hunted sites. Didn’t do any head tonheads cause I couldn’t get my truck closer due to old barn torn down recently and didn’t want to take a chance of nails in tires.

Anyways. Ran detector in 9khz. Sens at 7 mostly. Threshold -2. Salt at 30. Even at 9 kHz seems detector hits nicely on smaller nonferrous. Did push unit some too where some signals were tone smeared. These all turned out to be iron. Just trying to see what Tarsacci is telling me with this coil. Did run 12 kHz toward end of 2 hour 45 minute hunt. Struck a deep smaller piece. Took a while to exhume this smaller piece. Just based on what I witnessed due to where I was yesterday good chance stocker coil won’t go back on my unit. Bigger coil seems makes Tarsacci better to me. Didn’t notice much difference in detector feel using big coil vs the smaller coil. Big coil if of anything feels better (likely has something to do with coil anchor point being shifted forwards some.

More to come. So far I like it.

[ibb.co]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2021 02:23PM by tnsharpshooter.
cdv
March 07, 2021 03:07PM
First run with the 12" at the beach. Nothing spectacular to talk about, new coil feels good on the shaft, NO noticeable shift in numbers for coin targets at depth in the wet sand or dry sand. After finding a deep platinum last week, I am more aware of targets showing some "iron" numbers at depth and last night I had one that I was sure was a deep penny with either a nearby iron target or just corroded causing numbers to bounce to the negative side.... three scoops and out pops a penny (I thought). Swinging over the coin it read a -13....I could see the copper and penny size in the headlamp and surely thought my machine was wonky. Called Todd over to verify my readings and he said its not a penny, its a pence. So there you have it, the machine didn't lie....copper plated steel slightly corroded.

Like Tennessee said, I don't see this coil coming off the shaft anytime soon!

Dimitar, you have a winner with that coil.

More to come now that spring break is here and the waters warm to Florida standards.....

Cliff
March 07, 2021 04:18PM
So doesn’t appear you got in the water to see just how well the coil moves. Good review both of you. I’d say this coil will pay for its self quickly if the golds there. How did ya like the coverage.... seems to over lap with more efficiency. Good to know yours did not upscale on the beach.
March 08, 2021 12:55AM
One thing I notice doing on top of ground tests. Salt engaged and dialed up somewhat I.e. 30,, when foil is introduced into detecting equation of higher conductor ID reads a little higher vs salt disengaged. Like 1-2 points, no more. Don’t think this is 12” coil specific behavior. I am not putting smaller coil on to see either. Just passing this info along.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2021 12:59AM by tnsharpshooter.
March 09, 2021 07:38PM
I had some good fun this week with it i will try to get the 12".

My approach to test the Tarsacci has turned into from semi scientific to really fun,i had luck with it this week

RR
March 09, 2021 08:39PM
That’s also what I’ve liked about this machine.... it’s just been fun to hunt with.
March 10, 2021 06:47PM
I received my 12" coil today, YAY!

Went out to the test garden and I forgot.. . . It was covered in snow. So I air tested it for kicks and it gets 2" more on US coinage. Happy with that, I'll tell ya.

Maybe if tomorrow is going to be as nice as they say, I'll take it to an old park, or, if the old button field isn't too soggy, I'll hit that.

Rodman, take one of your days off, lets go!
March 10, 2021 09:20PM
When you talk about getting 2” from a coil that not huge in size that’s just impressive to me. Add these inches in the water and take away some with other machines that’s game changing. It going to be a challenge for others to compete with that. In black sand or mineralized sand I’m hoping for good stuff. I’ll finally get out some tomorrow can’t wait
March 10, 2021 11:00PM
Steve...... you WILL see this difference...... in real dirt also.
cdv
March 11, 2021 07:13PM
Tom. I have NO statistical data to back this "gut" feeling up but I can't remember the last time I ever dug so many deep coins in the water. One dime reading did come out as a silver ring, no gold yet with the new coil but that is just a matter of time. Oh, I did break my Stealth scoop for the last time today, it can't handle those deep signals, back to the Stavr until I find a decent replacement excavator.

Cliff
March 11, 2021 07:59PM
I got out a couple hours today, gorgeous day. Went to a place we call the 'button field'. It's called that because hundreds of flat buttons have been pulled out of there over the last decade+. This one area maybe 100'x 50' in this eyeballing it, 30 acre field, is the only spot that produces these buttons. I've talked about this field here years ago on here.

Took the new 12" coil to see if anything would show up. A few coins have also been pulled from here, early 1800's half cents some large and I think RodPa got a silver out of here, may have been a Reale.

Today I did get some deep flat buttons, one about 3/4" in dia the other was a whopping 1-3/8" in diameter. The bigger one was so thin you could shave with it. I also pulled out a thimble, not a silver one, may be copper. The buttons were deep about 9", the thimble only 4" deep.

I ran blk sand on, (runs quiet with that on) salt mode on 40, Gb was registering 823, sens 8, threshold -1, low freq @ 6.

In the iron I was on disc, when the iron slowed down, I like mixed mode.

The 12" is a little heaver but being a switch hitter, it was no problem. The soil was wet but didn't puddle in the hole. It was nice to get out on such a beautiful sunny sweatshirt day.
March 12, 2021 01:38AM
Cliff........ I thought those Stealth stainless scoops...were bulletproof!!! Wow! Can't believe it broke on you.
Sounds like the coil is working for you..... IN the water.

Steve...... good report. Sounds like you are in a really good area! It is RARE to dig a flat button in Florida; yet, I know they are all there. Just: deep!
March 12, 2021 11:13AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve...... good report. Sounds like you are in a
> really good area! It is RARE to dig a flat button
> in Florida; yet, I know they are all there. Just:
> deep!

Productive spot for sure, Tom.

This is the area I wrote about years ago on here where I dug the pits. I found old coins @ 18+ deep as I was chasing these flat buttons. There are more down there. The earth is clay with mixed rock. Remembering correctly, RodPa had a 1850's map that had shown a home at that spot.

The area I live is loaded with old colonial stone homes on nice acreage. There are parks surrounding us that pulled the eminent domain trick on the past residents. They built dams to form lakes for recreation, The acreage is owned by the county and a permit is needed to detect, $10 per year.

Looking at old maps we can locate the old homes that were demolished for the park to be built. It's a lot of fun when studying a old map to find these long gone homes and farms. When you find a site and study the area you see signs of past buildings. . . .certain plants and trees growing that wouldn't normally be there in the woods. I believe when they demo the houses they just bulldoze all the stone into the cellars then mother nature take over and hides everything.

This site I had stumbled across a decade+ ago. It was a weed field at the time. Now they plant either corn or winter wheat. Farmers lease some of the park area from the county. As a courtesy, I find out who the farmer is and track him down for permission. One of the permit rules is you can detect any field that hasn't been planted. I just take it a step further.

I'll visit that site a couple times a year because the farmer lightly plows it a couple inches deep. I figure that may displace some iron and give us a shot at previously masked buttons and coins.
March 12, 2021 02:08PM
Yes...... I remember you posting about this site. And pit digging....can be fun IF the correct spot is chosen. I've performed a lot of pit digs...... and encountered the full gauntlet of success/failures. It is the depth of the targets that simply continue to amaze me.
Colonial era sites are very interesting........ because no paper money existed/trusted/exchanged. Only copper, silver, gold.
March 15, 2021 01:23PM
I got out yesterday and went to an long gone water/amusement park founded in the 1890's to see if I could find some period coins with the MDT and the 12" coil, it did not disappoint.

This park is not far from a detector dealer and has been hunted since detectors came about.

I dug two period coins, a 1894 Indian Head and a 1899 Barber quarter. . .. . they were deep, 9"+.

This unit definitely needs to be put through the ringer so as to understand its way of working/deducing/detecting. I also dug up many deep high tone, very corroded iron nails. They had sections of them that were wire thin and rusty. As with VLF's, they are always at the side of the hole, sometimes a couple inches. These nails are down deep where I dug the coins, 9-12+ inches.

They (nails) had this certain language when being pinpointed. Like other detectors, it's difficult to get an exact location, and numbers jump high 20's to low teens with tones staying high 95% of the time.

Both coins were identified correctly, high tone on each, 21-22 on the quarter, 18+- on the IH penny.. . happy about that.

I haven't pulled silver in many outings, made my day, actually.

This unit does need some thinking about when using it. I'm learning more as I use it. Now if a 4" or 6" coil were to be made, it wouldn't break my heart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2021 04:25PM by ozzie.
March 17, 2021 08:21PM
Went to the same park today, same area with the 12" coil on the Tarsacci.

Luck of the Irish I guess. . .. dug two more silvers.... .. 1909 barber Quarter and a 1919 Merc. The Barber was only 6" deep, the Merc was 9" deep. RodPa says they are in very good condition. It's Silver!!!

Also dug a silver plated fork at 12" deep.

I used some disc today set at -17, that takes out the iron nails. I hunted at 9 sens, Salt off, Blk sand off, 6.4 Kh, I'm liking these settings for this particular park. I switch from Mix to disc modes depending on number of targets in the ground.

This coil opened up this park for me.

Happy St Patties Day everyone.
March 18, 2021 03:07AM
Wow Steve! Sounds like you are doing very well. Yes....... this wide-angle coil is illuminating more surface-area of tilted and 'on-edge' coins. Keep up the success!!!
March 18, 2021 05:21PM
Hello got a few targets on my 1st sesh with the new coil including a silver ring.

I am pretty confident the coil sieve through the first 40cm with ease.I had large ferrous at 60cm easy...............but dont forget we got Cannonballs here smiling smiley

I can wait to find a deep gold ring to mega boost my confidence.

[forums.tarsaccisales.com]

RR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2021 05:22PM by Rivers rat.
March 19, 2021 11:30AM
I did a rare hunt in the dry sand yesterday on a local beach. Not much to show, its a renurished beach and the tractor had fluffed up the sand. 3 other hunters one with an AQ. I found more coins than i expected.... almost nothing in the wet sand.... my AQ guy confirmed that. Managed a little junk jewelry NO rings..... skipped all the shallow bottle caps and i think i only dug a couple of pull tabs. What i did notice thou.... moving from wet sand using 9 khz to the dry where i switched to 12kzh. I was getting pennies that were ringing 12....shallow ones with solid signals. After a few i knew i was digging pennies..... so i switched to the other freqs to see what they read. All read the penny at 13..... next odd thing is 18khz was jumping back and forth between 12 and 13 on this shallow penny just like it might on a really deep one. Im still really liking the coil for weight, coverage and depth. Id highly recommend anyone looking at the machine add this coil.
March 19, 2021 01:43PM
When I went through the freq's on what I thought was a deep coin, freq 18kh didn't respond, no signal. Freq's 12, 9 and 6.4 gave a signal... . 6.4 being the best.
Upon digging, a deep silver popped out. Wondering if my CZ or my f-75 would have tagged them.
March 19, 2021 10:07PM
Steve......... that's correct/exact. I'm doing this whilst inland hunting. You can tell a high conductor..by losing signal strength ... when you go up in frequency. A low conductor becomes desensitized when using the higher freq's. This is true with any detector that has multiple single freq's that you can select individually. But...... the MDT can really accentuate this phenomenon.
March 20, 2021 08:14PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did a rare hunt in the dry sand yesterday on a l
> ocal beach. Not much to show, its a renurished b
> each and the tractor had fluffed up the sand. 3
> other hunters one with an AQ. I found more coins
> than i expected.... almost nothing in the wet sand
> .... my AQ guy confirmed that. Managed a little j
> unk jewelry NO rings..... skipped all the shallow
> bottle caps and i think i only dug a couple of pul
> l tabs. What i did notice thou.... moving from we
> t sand using 9 khz to the dry where i switched to
> 12kzh. I was getting pennies that were ringing 1
> 2....shallow ones with solid signals. After a few
> i knew i was digging pennies..... so i switched to
> the other freqs to see what they read. All read t
> he penny at 13..... next odd thing is 18khz was ju
> mping back and forth between 12 and 13 on this sha
> llow penny just like it might on a really deep one
> . Im still really liking the coil for weight, co
> verage and depth. Id highly recommend anyone look
> ing at the machine add this coil.

Interesting that the MDT and AQ were hunting in same area. Any comparison test on any of the targets / thoughts about the AQ?

Thanks,

El
March 20, 2021 09:04PM
Unfortunately.... this was a renourished beach. They put FEET of sand on it in May last year. All our recent wind and wave movement has done nothing but flatten the high bank beach. Only thing he or me was finding was some light fairly deep iron. You can’t get right close to this powerful PI to hunt and talk either. Although very few machines affect us. I got away from him after a little while thinking my advantage might be in the dry towel line with spring people NOT getting in the water. Honestly I wouldn’t have an issue hunting behind the AQ. With any machine there are advantages and disadvantages. IMO the AQ learning curve may not have an advantage over the MDT with the 12” coil here where recent drops require a lot of sand to be covered. I also don’t think ANY VLF can touch the MDT in the water with this coil. There are 3 guys I know here who have the AQ. One guy just got his back from repairs and one is using it more for hunts when he goes to the treasure coast. Cliffs the man ... he has both machines. He may chime in. Hoping the water calms some so we can get a hunt in.
March 21, 2021 01:02AM
Thanks dew
cdv
March 24, 2021 07:59PM
Dew and I got together for a long needed hunt together with the idea of testing the new coil. Main test for me was to determine what if any changes in tone at max detection depth. We used 3 different test rings and the pvc pipe testing setup (like Tom, Aaron and OBN have used) Using 9 KHz on both machines, 0 Threshold and in all metal to determine max depth, I was using a SB of 33 in 9KHz, I switched over to Mixed Mode....question in my mind was does the coil/machine change over to an iron tone at max detection depth. I'm happy to say that NO, it does indeed keep the mid tone for the most part, not changing over to an iron tone....Yes, at extreme depths you do have some mixed readings +/- and some mixing of tones BUT Dew and I do "take a scoop" off over targets like these to determine IF it requires further investigation.
Overall, we are both quite happy with the performance of this coil.....and Dew still proves he is in better shape than I am!
If desired, I can add max depth "we" found and the size/karat of the test pieces used.

Cliff
March 24, 2021 09:06PM
The tests were fun. I think Cliff dug a half dozen hole before we got it where the pipe didn’t fill with water and sand. I think that’s what wore him out lol. We talked about my coil having chatter that raising the SB did not resolve. I switched over to 12khz since we were hunting wet sand initially. My SB was 27.... which is good on the standard coil and I rarely had to adjust these settings for various frequencies. After letting him hear those sounds of a raising threshold. He had me turn the SB DOWN. Turned it to 21 and wow that solved it. I know I know ... I should have done a SB. But I had and old fart moment. I have to admit this is the first time for chatter i had to go the other way. The coil is deep even in the water. You kind of have to watch your scoop because of the large HALO off the coil. Cliff got the only gold..... congrats to him. It’s always a fun day when we get together. We wake the chicken.... and I think we did 6 or 7 hours.

This was my hunt yesterday...... welcome to Spring Break couple of silvers but for the most part junk day lol. Friend hunted the same beach today and said i left him one more junk ring. The second picture Cliff thought people might get a chuckle out of..... its the face on my MDT. Me and Cliff compared them...... mine won for the most hours in the sunlight i think. By the way that green stuff isnt for a crack.... its liquid tap because i had a tendency of sometime hitting the side with the scoop while looking in the basket for the target.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2021 09:30PM by dewcon4414.
March 25, 2021 07:26AM
Dew and CDV same here i tried 12khz at SB at 26 it was too much BUT i reversed to 9khz looooool

9khz
SB 26
THR -1
GB 575
AM

With the large coil i dug craters.......

RR
March 25, 2021 09:48AM
You mentioned craters..... Cliff dug a few targets he had to leave. Shoulder deep targets.... a wet suit .... and no weights. I’ve got the standard coil set pretty well .... I’ll have to play a little more with this one to find the right combo. It just thru me when he switched over to 18 kHz at the waters edge and I was getting a bit more chatter than I wanted in 12. 9 and 6.5 has always been smooth running in the water and very adjustable. But it’s pretty simple to step out in the water Bob the coil up and down until you hear that distinct threshold ramp in both directions for a SB. Cliff wanted to know if there was going to be any depth loss on targets if you used mixed over AM .... didn’t appear to be.