Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tarsacci shaft (aftermarket)?

Posted by steveg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Tarsacci shaft (aftermarket)?
March 11, 2021 11:15PM
I think that’s great Tom. I really look forward to seeing what Dimitar will do next. Just the sneak preview of the totally waterproof machine with the upgraded battery area.
March 12, 2021 07:19AM
"Synchronicity" -- yep, that's it!

OK, sounds good...so the SS 304 should be "sufficient," which is good news.

It's also VERY good news about "Tarsacci," as a company. Great news for Dimitar, and for us!

Steve
March 12, 2021 07:22AM
midalake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have seen these spring clips in plastic. Not sur
> e about their last power though? They would not ru
> st!!! Dave

Interesting; I've never seen them in plastic. With the cam lock doing most of the "heavy lifting," I'd think that clips made from a strong plastic would probably work in this application...

Steve
March 12, 2021 10:26AM
Ive seen the plastic ones.... used mostly for pool poles thou and pretty tight inside that small of a tube. Ive used um thou. Honestly.... the SS last a good while.... but like Cliff ive replaced mine. If you dont put any on mine im fine with that Steve..... id like to see how your locks hold up. But .... that middle lock hasnt given me any issues... so i dont think your would either.
March 12, 2021 12:25PM
Sounds good, dew. It sounds like consensus is that the 304 stainless button, for middle-to-upper shaft connection, will be sufficiently corrosion-resistant, but not perfect; based on all of the discussion, I'm OK with that. I was not happy about regular spring steel, but this is a reasonable compromise, I think. But yes, I want to go with no button/no holes for the middle-to-lower shaft connection. I'm sure you'll give that cam lock a true workout, dew! winking smiley

Small update...

Drawings for the tubes (diameters, hole location, length, etc.) have been submitted to the tube suppliers to confirm their ability to produce (main question being the middle tube -- specifically, the "tapered" end, as it reduces from "Tarsacci diameter" at the very top end, to "Equinox diameter" for the remainder of the tube). If they can successfully produce the taper/reduction, then there are no remaining obstacles. I've specified matte finish, vs. glossy, to better match the Tarsacci upper shaft.

The drawing for the lower rod plastic "clevis" has also been submitted, and a pricing quote was returned to me -- which also represents a confirmation that those parts can be produced per my design. Orders will be placed for both 10 sets of tubes, and 10 clevises, within the next few days...which will permit production of the first 10 "prototype" shafts. Once beyond the prototype stage, with ample user feedback, I can move the shafts to regular production -- and at that point I'd make extra lower rods available; since there are now two coils available, some folks may want an extra lower rod, to keep attached to their second coil.

FYI -- the middle shaft is designed to be about 3" longer, than on the Tarsacci middle shaft (though can be "custom made" to whatever length someone desires). The lower section (which is 21 1/2" long on the "stock" shaft) can also be produced to user spec; the tubes I'm purchasing for the lowers will permit lengths up to about 31" to 32" long. Most users have said they need about 6" total extra length, as compared to the stock shaft, so I've ensured that this will be EASILY do-able, with the tubes I've ordered.

Steve
March 12, 2021 01:48PM
Awesome news Steve! Thank you for all of your hard work.
March 13, 2021 11:49AM
Have to give you a little credit as well Bass for helping to get the ball rolling on this. Im hoping it will be good for Steve and give us niche water guys a little better moving coil and for those wanting a longer shaft. The idea of having a second shaft works for a lot of people as well. But im not sure how often ill be swapping the coils myself. That extra 3" in the middle should give it some real stability. Sound decisions Steve on your build as well. looking forward to having one.
March 13, 2021 11:53AM
Dew -- thanks for the thoughts, I appreciate your insight. And yes, Bill was instrumental in kicking me in the pants on this -- sort of the "icing on the cake" after you had started the discussion with me awhile back...

Thanks guys!

Steve
March 13, 2021 06:39PM
Steve

You sure didn't waste any time getting this project off the ground. Great job and Thank You!
March 14, 2021 04:37AM
Kingfish --

Don't give me too much credit, yet...the delays occur when I place the orders for the parts/components to be produced, LOL! Having parts produced, and shipped, has become a MUCH slower, much more frustrating process, since COVID...so many places are short-staffed, and thus delayed, and shipping has become a nightmare...

BUT -- I'm trying to do this with some expediency. Since building a "Tarsacci" shaft is largely just a "tweak," in terms of what it takes to produce them compared to others I build, it won't take a lengthy "testing/prototype" phase. Once I get the parts, it's just a matter of checking to see if my design accurately reflects necessary/proper dimensions that are needed in the "real world," to fit well with the machine. Otherwise, everything should be good to go, as soon as I receive the needed parts and supplies...

Thanks!

Steve