Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

15" Coiltek for Nox

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
15" Coiltek for Nox
March 10, 2021 12:47PM
My 15" arrived today.
What i was hoping from the coil was the same performance in sensitively as the ML 15" coil with maybe a bit more depth on coins.
An air test (love or hate them) showed little to no difference between them on coins.
After a run around my coin garden i defo think the ML coil performed better.
The deepest coin i have is a big Viccy copper at 12", it's similar to a colonial you'd find in the US, and they both have no probs hitting it, so i kept turning down the sensitivity until i lost the signal and the Coiltek lost it first, still amazingly at a sens of 15 though.

What i quickly found was it's not as good on small low conductors like cut half silver, and it's similar or no better on large high conductor coins.
I guess it will probably be slightly better on large relics etc

It's big, feels much bigger and cumbersome even to the ML coil, i didn't try any separation tests as i would be using it on open pasture with moderate iron.
The coil bolt holes are smaller, so you can't use the ML one's and it means there's a bit of play in the rubber bushings, but the biggest worry for myself in its construction is that the coil ears, while longer with little stiffening lugs, is actually much thinner than the ML coil ears, if folk say the ML ears are prone to breakage, well......

Anyways, for the purpose i was intending it for it's a "no" from me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2021 12:50PM by ghound.
Re: 15" Coiltek for Nox
March 10, 2021 01:16PM
Thanks for sharing Ghound.
March 10, 2021 01:49PM
No probs TNSS, only my quick view on it mate, others might find it suits their detecting ok.

March 10, 2021 02:19PM
Ghound ... Thank you for the information about this test of yours ...,
I have one question .. on what recovery speed did both coils be able to detect a copper VIC Penny at a depth of 12 inches?

And what results did you get in the test on the silver 1/4 hammered?
Another question would be the resistance of the coils to EMI interference ..? and practical applicable sensitivity?

Since I already have a large 12X15" Minelab coil, I am really interested in such a comparison.
March 10, 2021 02:50PM
I hope that isn’t a sign for the 10x5
March 10, 2021 04:17PM
DigDugNY Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope that isn’t a sign for the 10x5

My thoughts exactly. I've never had great luck with coiltek coils. I never thought they did anything great as compared to stock coils.
March 10, 2021 04:46PM
I'm on "the list" for a 5" x 10" but maybe I'll just wait and see how they perform, and not be in such a hurry to get something
new which might not be a better un-masker than the 11" or even the 6". Maybe Minelab has it covered, and I've already got
their 3 coils. Hoping for more target separation / performance from the EQ maybe is just wishful, and not gonna happen with
EQuinox in it's current version.
March 10, 2021 04:55PM
EL NINO Wrote:
> Ghound ... Thank you for the information about thi
> s test of yours ...,
> I have one question .. on what recovery speed di
> d both coils be able to detect a copper VIC Penny
> at a depth of 12 inches?
>
> And what results did you get in the test on the si
> lver 1/4 hammered?
> Another question would be the resistance of the co
> ils to EMI interference ..? and practical applicab
> le sensitivity?
>
> Since I already have a large 12X15" Minelab coil,
> I am really interested in such a comparison.

I don't find it as sensitive to the cut coins, they come in around the 6-9 ID, some folks might like that if there chasing high conductors and don't want to be digging small stuff.
On the Vic penny, recovery speed 4 and sensitivity at 14 and the ML15" was still getting a soft hit.
March 10, 2021 06:47PM
The coil ears is what worries me for such a big coil. There thinner and have less material around the hole.
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2021 06:48PM by ghound.
March 10, 2021 08:14PM
Quick airtest indoors, ML15" vs Coiltek on low, mid and high conductors.
Factory reset, volume 25, 2 tone to keep it simple.
Don't hate me, take it with a pinch of salt, your miles may vary and all that good stuff!

[youtu.be]
March 10, 2021 10:57PM
It has been my experience that..... the Chief Design Engineer of any particular detector...... knows HIS detector....the BEST....,,,,,,......,,,,,,...... and NOT by any aftermarket folks. Even the microcontroller IC chips that are in many of today's detector coils.....is hard to replicate by any aftermarket firm.,.,.,.,.,. unless the aftermarket firm has 'inside information' on the coils electronics/IC chips/shield-paint/windings.......etc.................
March 11, 2021 11:20AM
That makes sense Tom. Makes me wonder what is meant by the new coiltek coils are “fully approved” by Minelab? Thx
March 11, 2021 12:26PM
Minelab 'endorses' Coiltek....... but Minelab does not do the engineering for them.
March 11, 2021 12:27PM
It would be a dirty tactic but I could imagine Minelab only agreeing to approval under the stipulation that after-market coils only attain a certain level of performance so as not to make the Minelab coils look bad.

Would I be correct in assuming that before Minelab came out with their smart coils, approval to create an after-market coil was not needed?
March 11, 2021 12:57PM
Still finding very little between them on coins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2021 12:59PM by ghound.
March 11, 2021 01:41PM
Minelab (or any Mfr) need not impose any restrictions on any aftermarket company. Merely NOT sharing 'smart-coil' intellectual property ..... "protects" !!!
March 11, 2021 11:20PM
I had the thought that Minelab would somehow use Coiltek to help fix their coil ear issues. By just offering a different coil.
March 12, 2021 09:04AM
@ghound,although you have only had the Coiltek coil a few days are you still thinking along the lines that the ML 15'' coil is still better for coins over the Coiltek coil for UK pasture and deep ploughed ?? i do have the 15'' ML coil and i do find it behaves in a similar way as the stock coil but of course it does cover more ground and also hits coin size items slightly hard than the stock coil.....you have probably saved me a fair chunk of money.
March 12, 2021 09:34AM
Junk and Disorderly Wrote:
> @ghound,although you have only had the Coiltek coi
> l a few days are you still thinking along the line
> s that the ML 15'' coil is still better for coins
> over the Coiltek coil for UK pasture and deep plou
> ghed ?? i do have the 15'' ML coil and i do find i
> t behaves in a similar way as the stock coil but o
> f course it does cover more ground and also hits c
> oin size items slightly hard than the stock coil..
> ...you have probably saved me a fair chunk of mone
> y.

I haven't found any sizeable difference over the ML15 coil on coins.
Personally I think the extra size and weight outweigh any benefits it has, maybe it would be different in mild soil for larger targets though.
March 13, 2021 05:14PM
Out yesterday for a hunt with both the Coiltek and ML15 looking for a few deeper targets.
Only found 2 deep'ish targets, a silver sixpence (dime size) at 7" and a musket ball at full pinpointer depth

Nothing much between them on the sixpence, I think it was at a funky angle as the signal wasn't great on either coils, and the ML15 was nicer sounding on the musketball, it was smoother sounding while the Coiltek was more choppy, but I still would have dug it.

I wonder if there will be a future update for the Coiltek, it's just so weird (insert your own conspiracy theory) that their near identical on coins when air tested, yet you'd expect to see the wider coil show an advantage.
March 13, 2021 07:28PM
Cr4p, I was washing the coil off for a hunt tomorrow and felt an edge on the bottom of the coil, and now that it's dried off I can see a split.

The coils working perfect, so no water has gotten in. The water was quite warm though, would it have caused it?
Looks like I won't be using it tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2021 07:31PM by ghound.
March 14, 2021 02:10AM
No it shouldn't have caused the coil to crack.
March 14, 2021 03:45AM
ghound Wrote:
> Cr4p, I was washing the coil off for a hunt tomorr
> ow and felt an edge on the bottom of the coil, and
> now that it's dried off I can see a split.
>
> The coils working perfect, so no water has gotten
> in. The water was quite warm though, would it have
> caused it?
> Looks like I won't be using it tomorrow.
>
>

HUMMMMM........
March 14, 2021 06:00AM
That's the first time I've ever seen cr4p used. I had to look it up. I don't get it. Why don't you just say crap?
March 14, 2021 01:28PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> That's the first time I've ever seen cr4p used. I
> had to look it up. I don't get it. Why don't you
> just say crap?

It's a habit, on some forums you get pulled for any words that are borderline, especially family forums where kids have access.
I've 4 young kids of my own and try not to curse around them.
March 14, 2021 01:55PM
Well you are making news across a few forums with your new coil. Anything Equinox related usually does. Thanks for your opinion. I beach hunt, and during those hunts I usually end up in the splash zone. I don't like a large coil in the water for pinpointing reasons. A difference in a few seconds can mean the difference in my opinion.
March 14, 2021 02:22PM
goodmore Wrote:
> Well you are making news across a few forums with
> your new coil. Anything Equinox related usually do
> es. Thanks for your opinion. I beach hunt, and dur
> ing those hunts I usually end up in the splash zon
> e. I don't like a large coil in the water for pinp
> ointing reasons. A difference in a few seconds can
> mean the difference in my opinion.

I'm only on the beach a few times in the year, i don't know how it handles in the surf to be honest.

I'm kinda glad i wasn't able to use it today, i pulled a small fractured hammered out from a reasonable depth with the ML15" and it only gave an ID of 5-6.

March 14, 2021 06:27PM
I know you said that the Coiltek was working fine, but are you positive that crack isn’t playing a role in how it’s performing? Even if water didn’t get into it can is still be affected?
March 14, 2021 07:39PM
Yes that is a real possibility.
March 14, 2021 08:10PM
What has coiltek offered to do for this crack?